Videoconferencing Setup

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by one80, Jun 9, 2021.

1. one80

one80 Member

It's fallen onto me to try and fix out company's videoconferencing setup...

We have a Polycom Trio system that has never worked, and nor can any external consultants seem to assist/rectify, so that's getting scrapped.

As we use different systems (Teams, Zoom, etc) I was thinking a NUC + Logitech Meetup Bar + expansion mics might be the simplest solution.
    Thoughts?

2. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

We've got the logitech teams hardware and its okay.. but I'm about to buy a poly x30 system for another room as its a better fit.

The magic questions - got a budget for this? Any special requirements?

3. OP
    OP
    one80

one80 Member

Happy to spend money on a solution that works, is flexible, and usable for all of the office (i.e. simple).
    The amount of frustration that the CEO here feels at the current setup (or lack thereof) couldn't be overstated :p

The rooms we have are quite large so will need an expansion microphone etc. Does the Poly have that?

4. chip

chip Member

5. OP
    OP
    one80

one80 Member

Yes, it is. Mostly...
    We are no longer trying to re-use the Polycom Trio's, or integrate voice etc. And the provider that has reworked our general infrastructure has not been able to resolve the videoconference system, hence it's back to me to come up with a solution.

6. olie

olie Member

Hey one80

I can probably help you out with this. You are Adelaide based IIRC from the last thread, is this correct?

Step One: Work out what you want the system to do, and work out if you want it to feature any internal marketing wank. It is all about "green" conference rooms these days that have occupancy sensors to power down the systems when the room is not in use etc.
    Features I am referring to:
    Enormous LCD's (96" is considered small these days)
    Full room control (lights, codec, action)
    Touch screen control or old press button style
    Parle/speaker tracking microphones and cameras
    Cisco webex/Roomkits are so hot right now for small rooms https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/collaboration-endpoints/spark-room-kit-plus/model.html
    Step Two:
    Contact a few suppliers to come and quote.

PM me if you want some good recommendations (AU Wide)

edit: I should add that I am a Biamp certified programmer and a Extron AV Associate, so my views may be skewed.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  7. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

Definitely. Both the Poly units AND the Logitech teams solutions come in varying "sizes"... which is usually the same core hardware with extra microphones etc for larger room. I do like the Logitech teams TAP unit we're using but the Bluetooth beaconing for laptops in the room that might want to use the device seems a little flaky at times. Also.. it has a REALLY expensive USB C cable running from the NUC to the TAP unit ($900 retail on its own) that was dodgy, and only discovered it after installation.. took months to get a replacement. The Poly's dont appear to use the same type of connectivity so its going to suit our larger meeting room better as its harder to run that cable.

8. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

The Poly X series QuakeDude mentions can run in USB device mode if you dont want to use it as a zoom or teams room.
    Simply it allows you to plug a USB cable into a laptop and run whatever application you want, zoom, teams, webex etc.
    It just turns the X30/50 camera,speaker and mic into your PC's.

9. ben699

ben699 Member

What can't they resolve ? is it just for a few rooms, or for every pc / device?

10. 7nothing

7nothing Member

https://www.yealink.com/solution/microsoft-video

Since it's all the same software, having something with far better cabling than Logitech's stupid system and 1/2 the price is a good option.

TMR joining zoom/webex meetings from calendar was in preview when I last set up in January, and never got round to testing, but I assume it's either GA or good enough to use now.

Pre-edit: I was using MVC-II 500 and 800. Do not approve of the new PTZ camera, doesn't look like it'd mount on top of a TV or wallmount without a shelf.

Actual edit: docs indicate it will mount top of TV or wall. Sure didn't look it from the size of the base relative to the old one.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  11. chip

chip Member

It's ok, although the UX is a bit clunky, and it randomly breaks with no explanation from MS (eg last week it was sending a+v to Zoom calls but not receiving any)