Vietnamese coconut creme caramel (easier than you think)

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by NIP007, Apr 22, 2009.

1. NIP007

NIP007 Member

I made a bunch of these again the other day for a party.. went down well, a couple of people thought the eggy taste was too strong but didn't mind it :tongue: Got this recipe from my favorite Vietnamese cookbook by the owners of Red Lantern here in Sydney.

Ingredients:

- 425gm caster sugar.
    - 425ml coconut cream.
    - 6 eggs.
    - 200ml milk (I use full cream, none of that hippy skim stuff).
    - 2tbsp toasted desiccated coconut.

Method:

- Put 250gm of the caster sugar into a saucepan with 100ml of water. Without mixing it, bring it to boil and cook until it becomes a golden syrup (don't overcook or it'll become bitter and you'll have to start again).
    - Pour the hot caramel evenly into 6 250ml moulds (I used solid glass tumblers). Swirl the caramel around so it covers the base and sides of the mould.. be careful when doing this because that shit is hot as hell and will inflict pain.
    - Fire up a steamer and bring the water to boil.

[​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!
    Hosted by UGBox Image Store

Don't mind the label on this can, I'm not really a chef.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Break the eggs into a large mixing bowl (you can use the yolks only if you like), add the rest of the sugar and mix well.
    - Add the coconut cream and milk and mix well.

[​IMG]

- Once the caramel has cooled in the mould, poor the mixture into the moulds.
    - Place the moulds into the steamer, cover the steamer, lower the heat and steam for about 45 minutes. You'll know it's cooked when the mixture is firm yet wobbly.
    - Allow to cool.
    - To serve, loosen the edges of the mould with a thin sharp knife and tip the creme caramel onto a serving plate and garnish with the toasted desiccated coconut (I didn't bother with the garnish). I was a bit lazy this time and didn't whisk the mixture well enough, but it still turned out great.

[​IMG]

- Spend the next day cleaning the hard/set caramel from your pot and moulds. :upset: :Pirate:

2. tchi6

tchi6 Member

very nice. i find that no matter what recipe you make that requires lots of eggs, it always tastes eggy compared to the shops

3. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

I make Creme Caramels all the time :) I notice yours has quite a few bubbles in it - should point out that the whisking is a very important step when it comes to the final texture. You need to stir it rather than whisk. If you whisk - you incorporate air, and it will feel grainy when cooked. You also need to be sure you break down all the egg white when you are whisking.

The caramel needs to be handled very quickly as they will continue to brown as you are pouring them out. Within a minute they will go from nice and golden to bitter and brown.

4. scon

scon Member

mm... Looks good! I've got that same cookbook, it's great. I've also been meaning to cook either creme caramel or catalan for ages too... might have to give it a go.

5. OP
    OP
    NIP007

NIP007 Member

Yeah when I saw this recipe I was a bit confused. Growing up my grandma used to make 'Banh Gan' (what they called this in the recipe book). My grandma's version of Banh Gan had coffee in it, which made more sense. Gan in Vietnamese means LIVER, and my gran's cake was GREY due to the coffee in it which made it look like liver, hence the name. Go figure :)

6. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

Creme Caramel is awesome!

Tip on caramel - it re-softens when hot. The sugar dissolves all over again if you pour boiling water over it and leave for a few minutes. :thumbup:
    Dearest hubby makes toffee popcorn as a regular treat, and thinks I'm going out of my way to clean the pots!
    Another thing you can do to help is oil all your glasses/ramekins before putting the caramel in.

7. Mooncat

Mooncat Member

Just a quick question, do you do anything to make the toffee in the top of the glass come out easily? I've never made it myself (although with this recipe I think I might try it) but I've seen people make it and it always looked like hell on a stick to get the caramel bit to come out without going completely munted.

8. OP
    OP
    NIP007

NIP007 Member

For cleaning? I just soak it in hot soapy water.

If you're talking in general, when you steam it the caramel becomes liquidy so when you take it out of the mold it's not hard (like when it sets when exposed to air).