Vineyards and Sheep

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by Modafroman, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Hey guys, been a bit of a long time since i've posted anything in the gallery, thought I'd post this, just for fun, and to start a dialogue.

[​IMG]
    Vineyards and Sheep

This was taken yesterday at Vinifera Wines in Mudgee (NSW). People will probably say it's a bit of a nothing shot, but I like it, that the sheep were just chilling in and around the vineyard, it was pretty kewt. The sky is probably a bit overexposed still, but oh wells, and it could probably go well as part of a series in a photo story as well... maybe I might do that.

As I said, I'm posting this to start a dialogue. 2 main things, really.

The first, and probably more superficial, is about gear. It really made me think about how much I love the X100s, still. It's such a brilliant little camera, I can throw it around my shoulder and take it with me most places that you wouldn't even dare take a DSLR, and the image quality is just awesome. In fact, in 2013, i've probably only touched my 5D maybe a dozen times, most of the time just opting to take the X100s because of how small and discrete it is. The latest firmware update from December seems to have made the AF even better, so it's a pretty killer little camera. I do wish, from a geek perspective, that it had a FF sensor, maybe one day Fuji will nail a FF sensor into a package this small, or more likely, Sony will come out with a future iteration of the RX1/A7 that takes the crown from the Fuji in terms of a small, discrete, fast and fun camera (RX1 would be perfect if it had an EVF/OVF, fast AF and wasn't so damn expensive, A7 is still too big for my liking, though I haven't handled it so I can't say for sure).

Anyways, it just got me thinking about my journey in photography and how it seems many of us (at least from what I've seen), upgrade and upgrade until they have FF bodies, and then start yearn for a smaller/faster second body because DSLRs are huge and bulky. It's a funny phenomenon, and something that I think we'll see more and more as technology shrinks.

The second thing is about finding time.

I still love photography, it's a fun hobby and I thoroughly enjoy it, but in the past year, maybe 2 years, I just haven't really had much time. It's really only in the holidays (midsem breaks and breaks between semesters), that I really get to pick up a camera and take some photos. The rest of the time I'm either full on with uni and life taking up all my time, or during the summer, full on with work, which sucks (eat, sleep, mine, repeat, pretty much). I'm always travelling all over the place for work over the summer, case in point being in Mudgee, which is such a beautiful area), and I really need to push myself to take the camera while i'm off doing things and take some photos, but then also find the time to edit and process them. I've probably got about 1000 photos from the past year to go through and process, but just haven't had the time.... and to get them printed.

I had half a dozen shots from my girlfriends parents farm/property printed on big canvases and gave them to them for christmas, they absolutely loved them, nice feeling to have, and its nice seeing them up on the walls and thinking, yea, I did that!

Hopefully this year, being in Mudgee, and visiting some nice areas (Vineyards et al, as well as doing some trips to Sydney/Dubbo (Zoo omg!) will make me take the camera out and take photos, and try to set aside some time to go through and process my backlog and post some more photos and get some printed.....

So yea, anyways, that's enough from me and my late (ish) night ramblings. Thanks for listening, if anyone has bothered to read my post.

TL;DR

1) Still love the X100s, wish it was FF, but probably not realistic just yet. Barely pick up a DSLR any more.
    2) I should find the time to take more photos
    3) I should find the time to edit, process and get my photos printed.

Hopefully i'm not the only one that is feeling like this?

Cheers,

Alex

2. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

If you really want to do it you just make the time.. this is coming from a workaholic.

Dont force it though, nothing wrong with just not being into it for a little while. Hopefully you get back into it later.

I would say it is not uncommon, the amount of discussion around here vs taking photos is quite high. It is to be expected this is a tech based forum first and foremost afterall.

Re-Gear.. you know you have a gear problem. Everytime you post you post the same stuff, dont be surprised. Think of how far cameras have come in the last 10 years, I personally dont feel any desire to upgrade digital cameras, but am fascinated by all things film. New sensors and form factors and whatever I feel are years apart, not months. There isnt a new camera each year which makes me question my current one. However if I look to say 3 - 5 years ahead and think of where the technology will be... in terms of usefulness for my business then its exciting (albeit what I have already does the job good enough).

Re-Photo I like the left, the metal fence and to the right of that dont really do anything for me.

TL;DR

- Dont make excuses
    - Shoot if you want, or dont. It only hurts you.
    - Enjoy your new surroundings

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  3. OP
    OP
    Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Cheers :)

Yea, I think I was more just venting my frustration at myself about not being able to take the time. I think this photo probably would serve better as part of a larger photo story, I think that's something i'm going to aim for, is to make a set, maybe 15-20 photos, that sum up my summer down here. Not many people get opportunities like this, to get put up somewhere so nice for work etc, and it'd be nice to have something to remember the time by.

Haha, the signal to noise ratio, for lack of a better phrase, of discussion vs work on tech forums like ours is a bit silly, but yea, it's something we probably all need to work for (not to speak for anyone else, though).

I know i'm a gearaholic haha, but i've been good this year, i've only bought the X100s for my birthday, and an RX100 for my girlfriend, and that's it in terms of photography stuff, honest! :p I think it's more about still trying to work out what I want out of photography as a hobby, and i'm not sure that big bulky DSLRs are really part of it any more. I just don't think I can bring myself to consolidate and sell the 5D though, because the IQ is just out of this world, for the odd thing I still do (ie landscapes, or for when I have the inclination to take it on holidays with me)....

I dunno, like you said, considering how fast tech moves these days, something will probably popup in the next year or so that will take my fancy.... ah wells :p

4. Taceo Corpus

Taceo Corpus Member

YMMV, but I have two cameras in my life at the moment and only one of them is seeing any use. Let me take you on my journey. :thumbup:

I started out with a Canon 1000D with two kit lenses back in 2011. I played around with a whole lot of different stuff, took a whole lot of shitty snapshots and thought I was amazing, like we all do when we first figure out shallow DOF. Bought a nifty fifty when I came to Japan for the first time and took some nice shots with it and went home excited, but wanting more.

I upgraded the 1000D to a 60D and when my crappy kit lens broke on a flight, I knew I needed a new standard lens. I figured I was really getting into photography, so I spent $1000+ on a second hand 24-70 2.8L. I loved it, it was glued to my camera for the better part of a year, occasionally replaced by the 17-40 4.0L. I bought these expecting to upgrade to a full-frame body. Then a thread was posted in here by you, discussing the merits of the 24-70 compared to the 24-105. I thought about it in the face of my upcoming holiday to Japan at the start of last year and replaced my 24-70 with the much lighter, cheaper and more flexible 24-105. Loved it.

Almost exactly one year on and I'm barely picking up the bastard. Hauling it around through crowds, keeping an eye on it to make sure it's not concussing small children on the subway... I went for a long day's walk, shooting in Kyoto about a month ago. The biggest thing I can remember from that day is the ache in my back on the train ride home from carrying around so much heavy gear. The number of times I've left gear at home because it's too big or too conspicuous is mad. Going out to shoot seemed more like a chore than anything else. Now, I'm not unfit. I regularly hike mountains and I'm an avid skier, but when my hobby isn't fun it's time to reconsider.

I started leaving my camera at home when I went on longer weekend trips out into the country. I shot purely with my Lumia 1020 (it has an astoundingly capable camera for a phone) for two or three weeks. I was energised, I started to love photography again. Leaving the house excited me.

[​IMG]

I enjoyed shooting with my phone and could get some really nice shots (like the one above) with it, but it couldn't replace a proper camera. I've had my eye on the OM-D E-M5 for months and one day I went out and bought it. Since then, it's come with me almost everywhere. I'm shooting again and loving it. Meanwhile the couple of thousand dollars worth of DSLR gear sits on a shelf gathering dust. A smaller camera can come with you anywhere, places where a big intimidating DSLR would be inappropriate. The light weight means that it doesn't get in the way or slow me down and the small size is perfect when I'm traveling. I've been shooting with the 17mm prime almost exclusively since I bought it (it's a 35mm equivalent on the 2x crop sensor) and I have the weatherproof zoom for use in inclement weather.

I'm definitely going to sell all of my DSLR gear. There's no point having it if you're not going to shoot with it - and is the quality really that much better?

As for time, with the OM-D I can grab my tiny bag of gear on the way out the door, so I can have it with me all the time. I used to feel pressured to set aside "photography time" and a reasonable chunk of it, if I was taking the DSLR out. Now, photography time is all the time. :thumbup:

5. beLarge

beLarge Member

First, loving all the TL;DRs

I personally see so much more to photography than the gear (I do still want a FF though). I bought a second hand Sony Nex 5 and it's been great to have a small but capable camera.

I agree with the finding time comments but I think its better to just have some goals in mind on what you actually want to shoot rather than just going out and hoping for the best.

6. sconosciuto

sconosciuto Member

Sounds like your 5D is becoming a paperweight. Sell it and stick with the X100s.

I made the decision to sell my D700 2 years ago as it had hardly seen any action in the last year i had it - it started to become an inconvenience. By that time I sold the D700 and my AF lenses, all I had left was my dad's Nikon FE and a 50mm 1.8. A few months and a trip later, I had found new inspiration and ideas and soon forgot about the D700.

TL;DR - stop obsessing over gear.

7. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

I like the colours in this one. You say it's plain, I say it's.. thematic. Reminds me of a painting. As for the other issues, the main camera I use nowadays is my phone, followed by my Canon S100 pocket-camera. It's very, very rare for me to dust off the 400D. But I enjoy the photos I take on my wanderings so I don't stress out about it.