[PROJECT] Vintage Coke Vendo 56 Square-Top Glass Bottle Vending Machine

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by CSI Guy, Aug 24, 2018.

?

Coke tastes best when drunk in a:

1. Glass Bottle

93.2%
  2. Plastic Bottle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Aluminium Can (Modern)

5.1%
  4. Steel Can (Vintage)

1.7%
  1. CSI Guy

CSI Guy Member

So after over 6 years of searching, I finally found the type of Coke Vending Machine that I used as a kid back in the 1980's. A Coke Vendo 56 Square-Top Glass Bottle Vending Machine. It all works. Coin mechanism, Vending release mechanism, Refrigeration.

Yes, these work with the modern glass soft drink bottles. No, I won't be stocking it with beer, or soft drink in plastic bottles.

Dimensions (W x D x H) 635 x 530 x 1345 mm

It does require some work. It has some "patina", but I have no plans to have this thing sprayed etc. Its pretty good for what it is and its age It needs some cleaning, polishing etc.

I once saw one of these machines painted white, and not properly either. Made me want to weep. The Coke Red alone is worth money.

Since 2pac paint was used to paint these machines, I've been to Supercheap Auto to get the appropriate cleaning and polishing things to spruce up the exterior.

Am still researching the best way to clean up the interior or any lime-scale, rust etc, without damaging the shelves or fridge walls. Not sure to go the chemical route, or soda blasting.

Will have the electricals looked at when I can.

Here are some photos:

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Anyone else got one of these? I could have easily bought one of many Can machines over the years, but these machine hold a special place in my childhood memories.

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

Where will you put it? Will you have to put money in to get your cokes out, or can you override that somehow?

3. OP
    OP
    CSI Guy

CSI Guy Member

It's already in my living room. Yes, 4x 20 cent pieces. There is no point in tracking down a working machine if you don't plan to use coins. Many of these machines got gutted and shelves were put into make them normal fridges. Some kept the little door, but most had that welded over.

The coin mechanism is an old mechanical version, not one of the newer electronic ones. Sounds great when being used.

museumman likes this.
  4. broccoli

broccoli Member

80c! Bargain!

Does it make a lot of noise?

5. OP
    OP
    CSI Guy

CSI Guy Member

Not really. Its louder when first switched on, but once its at temp (sooooo cold), its quieter when it cycles on.

6. OP
    OP
    CSI Guy

CSI Guy Member

So after spending $98 on automotive cleaner, polish, microfiber rags and polish appliers from Supercheap auto, and 2 masks from Bunnings, I re-read the manual and decided to follow its advice and just use soap and water to clean the outside of the machine instead, with some microfiber rags I had already. Going to return the car stuff tomorrow. I might apply some wax down the track, but as its in my lounge and not out in public or the elements, its not a necessity.

The outside came out really nice once the dirt, dust and water stains were removed. I have found a place in Adelaide that could sandblast and fix up any bodywork issues and respray it properly in 2-pac paint and apply the logos etc, but I like the fact that its used. 99.98% of the paint is there and in good condition. Frankly I have seen way worse.

As for the insides, again I will follow the manual and use warm soapy water and steel-wool. I did consider CLR, but apparently that can strip the zinc off the metal, and I don't really want to go the corrosive route just yet.

Photos to follow.

7. broccoli

broccoli Member

Generally speaking leaving vintage stuff alone is the preferred course (especially if you ever want/need to resell). Original condition is the way to go. As you say, it's in pretty good nick to start with. What's to fix? I think you're absolutely right.

8. OP
    OP
    CSI Guy

CSI Guy Member

Yes. However, it sure as hell needs to be cleaned. Some things if you clean lose some of their value, but the paint on this machine is old fashioned 2-pac paint, just like a car. Check ouu the photos below of someone's 7up machine :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. broccoli

broccoli Member

ewwww, you wouldn't be wanting THAT in your loungeroom. ewwww.

10. OP
    OP
    CSI Guy

CSI Guy Member

Once its cleaned up, its not too bad.

I have mine in my lounge room because I don't have a man-cave, or garage or veranda not open to the elements. Frankly, I'd be able to clean this machine easier if it wasn't inside, but I have no desire to go to my garden shed every time i want a Coke.

11. broccoli

broccoli Member

It doesn't look too bad, but what WAS all that gunge? It looks like somebody's been using it as a urinal.

oh, yours is fine, it's remarkably clean-looking, given its age.

12. mtma

mtma Member

Smokers tar? It does remind me of what some of those factory break rooms look like overseas where smoking is still a thing.

13. broccoli

broccoli Member

yes, could be, it's been so long since smoking was "outlawed", I'd forgotten about those awful stains everywhere.

14. OP
    OP
    CSI Guy

CSI Guy Member

This is why you want a machine that is Coke Red or mostly Coke Red. Coke actually have a few shades of Coke Red, and even Coke White. I have the paint codes somewhere.

Some idiots do repaint these machines with house paint, or spray cans. I'd prefer that woodgrain sticker they used in the 70's to bodgy paint jobs, and I hate the woodgrain sticker.

15. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Very cool. Even better if Coke was still made using sugar cane extract.

16. Sledge

Sledge Member

Out of interest, how much did this cost you?

17. OP
    OP
    CSI Guy

CSI Guy Member

You can buy Mexican Coke here in Australia, and that is still made using sugar cane extract and in glass bottles.

Mathematicians are working on the equation to calculate this as we speak. The boys in the lab tell me any day now...

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  18. broccoli

broccoli Member

What's it made with?

19. OP
    OP
    CSI Guy

CSI Guy Member

High Fructose Corn Syrup

20. mtma

mtma Member

Pretty sure the corn syrup thing is mainly isolated to the USA version, the version bottled here also uses cane.