[PROJECT] Vintage Coke Vendo 56 Square-Top Glass Bottle Vending Machine

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by CSI Guy, Aug 24, 2018.

?

Coke tastes best when drunk in a:

1. Glass Bottle

93.4%
  2. Plastic Bottle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Aluminium Can (Modern)

4.9%
  4. Steel Can (Vintage)

1.6%
  1. OP
    OP
    CSI Guy

CSI Guy Member

nope. I've had the lights on for hours, and are not warm to the touch at all.

EDIT: Remember these are plastic signs. Any sort of heat could warp or melt the plastic. I am sure if some idiot replaced the light tube with the wrong sort, the light would melt.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  2. OP
    OP
    CSI Guy

CSI Guy Member

Oh damn, they either got wet or they ate after midnight...

Coke Neon 1.jpg Coke Neon 2.jpg

3. drrevenge

drrevenge Member

As much as I like all the signs, I think it's a less is more approach here.

Put the signs elsewhere, but leave the machine as is. Maybe put the neon one up the top, but the others I think distract from the awesomeness that is the fridge itself.

4. OP
    OP
    CSI Guy

CSI Guy Member

Yes this had occurred to me as wll, and I have bought some 3M command picture hanging strips so I can move some stuff around and not have to damage the walls. The neon sign wasn't going to stay on the floor in front of the machine, that was just for the photo.

I like the idea of something on top of the machine though.

5. drrevenge

drrevenge Member

I think something above the machine (like the Neon sign) is the way to go, but I'd say you want the machine to be the part that draws your eye, not the sign.

Just be careful with those 3M hooks, I've had a few things come off later on and then shatter (glass poster frames especially) so be careful. :)

6. OP
    OP
    CSI Guy

CSI Guy Member

They aren't hooks, they are the velcro like strips, 4 of which can hold 7.2 kg. I bought 3 packs to use all on the neon sign for redundancy.

[​IMG]

https://www.commandbrand.com.au/3M/...06BLK/?N=5924736+3294529197+3294737309&rt=rud

Did the 3M things you use come off the wall itself entirely? Did you clean the wall with Isopropyl alcohold beforhand, or just stick them on?

7. drrevenge

drrevenge Member

Those were the ones I had as well. I cleaned the wall with the iso alcohol, applied pressure and then let them sit for over an hour before sticking it to the wall with the velcro.

At the time I also had DVD storage underneath and I think it was resting on that.

I think though, to be fair the wall that it was on, was the wall that was also shared with the staircase to my upstairs, so I think the vibration didn't help.

When it came down I had a mix of the velcro being stuck to the wall, ones where it pulled off the frame, and one completely pulled off the wall, so I had a pretty critical failure.

My stuff was ok as it was a cheap poster in a cheap poster frame from a $2 shop, but I'd hate to see any of this cool memorabilia damaged.

Not to mention that it does say for these not to hang stuff that is priceless or expensive from them, so... :)

8. OP
    OP
    CSI Guy

CSI Guy Member

Yeah. dammit.

I rent, so I cant go and make holes in the wall.

dammit

9. OP
    OP
    CSI Guy

CSI Guy Member

10. OP
    OP
    CSI Guy

CSI Guy Member

Ok, the sign weighs 3 kilos.

So do you live in Qld? Apparently areas with high humidity have issues using these strips.

11. OP
    OP
    CSI Guy

CSI Guy Member

OK new plan.

I currently have 12 strips, which is enough to hold 21.6 kilos. I will go buy 2 more packs, and use all 20 strips on the back of my sign. Surely all 20 cant fail at the same time.

Hell, I might even add more after.

12. OP
    OP
    CSI Guy

CSI Guy Member

OK, new new plan.

I bought 2 right angle brackets from Bunnings. The door frame next to my coke machine has a gap between the wall and the frame at the top. The brackets will be tucked into the gap and form a shelf type surface, and I will drill 2-4 small small holes in the black plastic frame of my neon light and secure the light using screws and wing nuts from a previous project (its not hoarding if you use it).

Luckily this wont affect the value of the sign really, as the black plastic frame isn't anything special, and back in the 80's shop owners mounted these things anyway they could that was practical and cheap. Most Coke stuff wasn't meant to have such a long life, especially after it stopped being used. Luckily the electrical on this sign was restored by a licensed electrician.

The 3M Command strips I will use to hang up my vinyl Coke advertising banners which are light, and won't damage if they do fall off the wall. Win win.

13. OP
    OP
    CSI Guy

CSI Guy Member

Problem Solvered

Coke Neon Mounted 1.jpg

Coke Neon Mounted 2.jpg

Coke Neon Mounted 3.jpg

Coke Neon Mounted 4.jpg

14. drrevenge

drrevenge Member

So you've done a bunch of updates since then, and I like your work around with the brackets for the Neon sign above the door.

I do live in Qld, so humidity can be a bit of a killer, but I'm in SE Qld, so not as bad as further north.

Supposedly the number of velcro strips doesn't improve the weight ratio in a close proximity, but I can see you've gotten around that now.

Personally, I still think all those signs is too busy together and it's a bit of a jumble.

But I'm not the one who has to look at it, and if you're happy that's all that matters. :)

15. xc351

xc351 Member

This is great and all but isn’t it to much in your living room.

You have 4 light up signs within 1m of each other.

Is either get a man cave of some sort or at least bring you living room into the 00’s by removing that boxy removing wood trim and replacing that light.

16. OP
    OP
    CSI Guy

CSI Guy Member

I rent, so I don't think the landlord is willing to spend up on cosmetics :)

Oh, and i want more, more............ MOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAARRRRRRR!!