Virtual box macOSX snow leopard issues

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Samicans, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Samicans

Samicans Member

so I decided I would go on a "virtual machine adventure" and so why not start with macOS snow leopard because I have a disk and a pc so why the heck not. needless to say, I have run into a few issues. I tried booting straight from virtual box and was sent to the macOS bios and so I tried a different trick which was the old iboot method (I'm using a ryzen 5 1600af FYI) so I get to the tonymacx86 logo screen and I chuck my disk in and low and behold an error (IDK what it is because I'm currently not on my main pc) but basically I can't get to the mac os boot screen.

would anyone know any different methods or know how to fix this?
    thanks!

2. OP
    OP
    Samicans

Samicans Member

you know its bad when its been viewed 120 times and no ones replied lmao

sounds like something thatd happen to me

3. everybodies

everybodies Member

it's probably because it sounds pretty vague.
    what's MacOS bios btw?

and, dont want to sound like a smart ass, but you get an error and you don't know what it is, so are you saying someone else will know?

4. bYrd

bYrd Member

Also, AMD and OS X always needed extra work to get up and running - try a later version of OS X comparable to the release of your Ryzen, such as 10.12.

5. OP
    OP
    Samicans

Samicans Member

yea I've tried high sierra and have gotten the guru error (fatal) and to answer everybodie's question i will show you what i saw
    upload_2020-8-13_17-17-26.png
    sorry for vague wording and also idk who to ask as idk if theres a community dedicated to macos vms

6. everybodies

everybodies Member

Bro, that’s nothing to do with OS X
    That’s uefi shell

7. everybodies

everybodies Member

AMD in the past needed a hacked kernel,
    I haven’t tried Ryzen yet so not sure but I’d say similar situation

8. OP
    OP
    Samicans

Samicans Member

ahh ok I've never done anything with vms before and I thought id give it a try

yea now I'm considering no as an answer
    I will continue with vms but mac os can go eat a toaster i guess

i cannot get mac os to boot so ill stop with mac os for now

9. everybodies

everybodies Member

havent played much with Vmware much, i prefer pure hackintoshes.
    but when I did, i was running in OSX High Sierra and all I can say is that, oh man, i cant even remember the programs. one was Vmware Fusion and some other program, the free one.
    what im trying to say is that OSX worked without any fuss with one and with other was being a bitch so maybe try the alternative program.

10. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

1) macOS on anything but Mac hardware is against the licensing agreement of the software

2) macOS on anything but Mac hardware is a royal pain in the arse. It requires endless hacking and patching, and is generally unstable as hell. Any updates to the OS also tend to break any customisations you make, and render your build unable to boot.

3) macOS on VirtualBox is awful. VMWare running on real Mac hardware is OK for certain releases (really modern stuff tends not to be, older stuff is OK). But VirtualBox on PC architecture is a nightmare for macOS.

The reason this is happening...
    ...is because of all of the above. You're doing something that is both against all license agreements, and is barely stable at the best of times.

If you really want MacOS, buy a cheap second hand Mac.

I'm also pretty sure OCAU has blatant rules against "Hackintosh" threads.

[edit] Yup:
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/hackintosh-osx86-discussions.865379/

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  11. everybodies

everybodies Member

have to disagree with you elvis on 2)
    a couple of years ago before Clover days, yes, it was painful. or maybe i've learned on mistakes,
    either way a perfect hack is not a myth.
    no endless hacking or patching required, dont take my word for it, plenty of people on youtube talk about this.
    updates only break a hack if you build it TonyMac way, proper way the whole hack is in EFI partition and OS is pure.

anyway, i dont want to go against OCAU rules, so thats all for me,

good luck Samicans

12. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Samicans and everybodies like this.
  13. everybodies

everybodies Member

used to run Plex on a Mac mini 2012 i7 , it was ok if you reboot it every couple of days.
    moved it to a Lenovo Tiny Haswell it was bulletproof, not that it was noticeably more stable it just didnt need anything ever, with WOL.
    i shouldnt have sold it because new Intel CPU graphics are not fully supported

14. OP
    OP
    Samicans

Samicans Member

i do have the official version of mac os snow leopard but not high sierra so shhhh dont tell anyone and also yea i have noticed that mac os is a massive pain because one its not mac hardware an two im using an amd cpu but yea ill continue the very tedious and boring adventures of the virtual box

also i tried vm ware with no luck and if theres a error (trust me) ill run into it one way or another

15. Malakai

Malakai Member

True story, as I type this I'm re-installing macOS High Sierra on my Macbook Pro because I re-installed it last month but I forgot what password I set on it, so that I can run Disk Utility and create an ISO image file of the physical USB thumb drive that I have that has macOS Catalina on it so that I can mount the ISO file in VirtualBox on my main PC and create a Catalina VM.

16. OP
    OP
    Samicans

Samicans Member

mate if you somehow do that pm me please

17. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

Are you a wizard?

Malakai likes this.
  18. everybodies

everybodies Member

good job.
    because you cant change password from recovery boot

19. Malakai

Malakai Member

Forgot I could reset it in recovery, thanks man.

everybodies likes this.
  20. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I've had a fair amount of issues even with Clover. Heaven forbid you should want a driver for some basic hardware.

The "perfect" hack is available to anyone who has the perfect list of perfectly compatible hardware. Which, again, brings me back to the "just buy a cheap Mac" option for me, as my time is more valuable than that. Particularly for an OS that's barely functional even on official hardware.

kombiman likes this.