virtualization Platforms

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by ics, Jun 11, 2011.

1. ics

ics Member

G'day Guys,

Just wanted to ask if anybody has any experience with KVM as a VT platform for corporate clients?

We have traditionally used vmware for all our virtualisation however recently we lost a tender as the other party was using Redhat Enterprise with KVM and it was much cheaper than our offering.

This got me thining if KVM is a stable platform for enterprise grade services...

T

2. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Have a search in this sub section for posts by elvis, he has many lengthy dissertations on KVM and Xen vs VMWare. There is also a consolidated virtualisation thread in the Other OS section.

3. Zer0

Zer0 Member

Personally I am a fan of Citrix XenServer, it's pricing is extremely sharp compared with vmware, you can try it out for free to see how it will suit your needs and I have used it in a bunch of large production deployments with great results.

I have been very interested to try out Redhat's KVM based solution but there seems to be no way to give it a try without buying it so it goes straight off my list unfortunately. Hopefully one day they will make a limited free version or if not then at least a time limited full feature trial, at which time I would be really glad to give it a shot.

4. 3t3rna1

3t3rna1 Member

If you sign up you get a free trial last time I checked :thumbup:

There is also Ubuntu, CentOS, Debian, Scientific Linux etc. which will let you run KVM and all are free. There are guide everywhere that will get you started.

5. Zer0

Zer0 Member

oh cool I will give it a look and see.

I know you can use KVM on a wide range of platforms but they do not exactly provide the polish and ease that vmware or xenserver do in my experience. I saw convirture 2 had some cool admin tools for running KVM on ubuntu but they seemed to hit some issues with cannonical getting the tools into the repos and it all seemed like a lot of mess at the end of the day unfortunately so I passed on it. Maybe they have their act sorted out now and warranty another look as well.

6. Zer0

Zer0 Member

Bern Edit: Abuse = ban, see you in 24 hours.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2011