visa for partner

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by round, May 30, 2014.

1. round

round (Banned or Deleted)

hey, anyone know much about the best way to go about getting a partner visa?

iv been seeing this girl for near a year, and she moved in about 7 months ago, she is from south korea, she is on a working holiday visa.

she was going to come back on a student visa, but we seen a migration lawyer, who recommended doing an ETA visa to get back, and then going for a partner visa... costing about $8k all up(lawyer and government fees)

is there a better way(maybe cheaper as well)? cheers

2. 1shot1kill

1shot1kill Member

12 months ago, you could have got her on a boat for significantly less, but now...Well, best you do what the migration agent says.

As an officer of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, that's about the best advice that I can give you.

3. OP
    OP
    round

im leaning that way...

we were planing on her getting a student visa so she could study english and get a higher ielts score , she was a dental hygienist in Korea(3 year degree) and if she got an ielts score over 7.5 she can transfer it to Australia maybe as a skilled migrant...

4. 1shot1kill

1shot1kill Member

DO NOT get someone else to sit the IELTS test for her.

5. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

you have been known to troll...

On thread. Seek other immigration advice from other companies, don't just get just one opinion. I'm sure there are forums of ex-pat Koreans that can help with advice, try there too.

Know what toothpaste and make up she uses ;)

6. OP
    OP
    round

does that happen?

she got on her last ielts test 6.8, i dont think she will have to much of a problem getting to 7.5, going off the advice of he tutor.

yeah, its a bit different with personal relationships, does she have bolt ones being a bit insulting...

yeah we are.. expert advice from ocau wont go a stray...

fucking trivia night... hoops people have to jump through to get into this country.

7. ck_psy

ck_psy Member

are you planning on getting married to this girl or what?

8. HeXa

HeXa Member

average means nothing - immi only care about lowest component score

writing tends to be the hurdle for many students - getting 7.0+ takes a bit of skill

9. trivial007

trivial007 Member

I thought you need 3 year minimum before you can apply for partner visa?

I have a couple of friends who have gone through this - it is a very thorough form process, interview and expensive.

IELTS is subjective to say the least. Difference between 6.5 to 7.0 (to pass) or 7.5 to 8.0 (to get full points) is very difficult, and after doing it 3 or 4 times you'll realise scores fluctuates plus/minus 0.5 so that you don't get what you want very easily (but the schools keep banking money). Don't be disheartened - IELTS involves a bit of luck, but mostly a lot of time abroad speaking and writing fluently. It can be come expensive rolling this dice.

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  10. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

I'd ask few immi lawyers. Get some recommendations.

Also 8k I'd presume it would be cheaper than a student visa.

Dont know how immi works or sees it, but if she is coming from SK it is less likely about just getting a pr, especially if she has graduated a 3y degree, that might not be transferable easily due to english requirement.

ie getting a job at a dentist catering for korean population could be easy for all I know, but I'm sure she realises she wont be board certified easily without passing what ever the Aussie certification in english.

So by coming to Australia it could be argued she is taking a risk on her earning potential a Purchasing power parity (PPP)

Hence it must be love or you are loaded :)

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  11. 1shot1kill

1shot1kill Member

Sadly, yes it does. :thumbup:

There's also the prospective partner visa.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/300.aspx

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2014
  12. OP
    OP
    round

maybe, dont know unless we continue the relationship right? she ticks all my boxes for a prospective life partner, in saying that im not in a rush.

she is a pretty competent writer, her new tutor has gotten her more inline with her grammar and sentence structure.

yeah, bridging visa a & b between then.

its not like its 100% necessary, its a bonus if she can use her degree in Australia.

13. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

you have no fucking idea, at least your together with your misses I have been going through the partner visa process (prospective marriage, which is offshore only) and fucking hell it is a long and frustrating process. Hardest bit is not the preparation of the application(though certainly a time consuming process) the hardest part for me is the wait, so far 6 months since the application was submitted. All that time we have been mostly apart except for when i visit her on a holiday.

Anyway get ready for a long and drawn out process, quite frankly i think its fucking pathetic how they make you go through all of this just to be with the person you love, everyone involved in the whole immigration process should be ashamed of themselves its a fucking joke. Especially with all the money you pay for the privilege of fucking bull shit long processing times and fuck all communication.

gawaterman likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    round

its bad, hope it works oit for you... how much has it costed so far if you dont mind me asking.

the immi lawyer said it was a big benifit with her being from south korea... she will be able to get back a lot easier via a eta visa & then for a bridging visa..

i just dont know if there is going to be surpizes...:(

15. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

I think South Korea is one of the lower risk countries so it should help with everything, processing times are usually quicker.

My misses is from Thailand, so I get to enjoy BS long processing times.

So far i have paid about 3k in visa fees and another 2.5k for a Registered Immigration Agent

Fyi on the agent subject make sure your agent has a registered migration agent number with the department of immigration otherwise your in for a world of hurt.

Check out the immigration website it has a page for the agents and you can search by name etc and look up all history for them, about the only good thing the department of immigration does...

16. dephilile

dephilile Member

All you need to know can be found in this booklet. It's quite comprehensive. I suggest reading the whole thing twice.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1127.pdf

I just lodged my wife's (she is South Korean) visa application. I didn't use an agent as once I read the booklet it seemed fairly straight forward (but a royal pain in the ass collecting all the documents/evidence). IMO a migration agent is a waste of money.

There are also these two forms which might shed some more light on the matter.
    http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/40sp.pdf
    http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/47sp.pdf

She will also have to go for a medical checkup
    http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/26.pdf

I found the Embassy in Seoul very helpful in answering any questions we had.

Exactly my feelings.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  17. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

you don't want to make it super easy to get into Australia though, otherwise everyone would be waltzing in

18. proffesso

proffesso Member

find out how much a visa is from south korea.

for example, a partner visa for my japanese wife was $4k-ish to apply within australia, and 2k-ish for the same visa from japan.

wtf???

19. dephilile

dephilile Member

$3085 from South Korea (or any country outside of Australia), but you have to be out of Australia to get that price (I believe). http://www.immi.gov.au/Help/Pages/fees-charges/visa.aspx

They put the price up every 6 months too. I think the next price increase is on the 1st of July.

$4575 to apply inside Australia.

I agree it is BS.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  20. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

yes they should run checks and make sure you are in a genuine relationship, that should NOT take 6+ months! I understand people exploit the system which is wrong and those same people make it hard for us genuine couples however 6 months + (i know of people who have waited over 12 months for an onshore partner visa application to be processed, WTF?) to check over an application is just fucking bull shit.

I ask have you been through a partner visa application? If not then you don't know what your talking about and have no write to comment on the "ease" of the application process.

You have to go through this process to properly understand how frustrating it is.