visa for partner

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by round, May 30, 2014.

1. proffesso

proffesso Member

we first applied years ago, Dimia was the biggest pain in the ass in the world. eg - we filled out the forms, handed them in. the girl at the counter said we didnt have the right forms, and gave us some extra ones...we filled those out, handed them in, another guy said we didnt need those extra forms, but this other one instead. awesome "fuck off" attitude by the counter poeple each time too.

add the waiting an hour or two at the immi office each time.

in the end, we applied from within japan, quick, easy concise and no fucking around. oh, and cheaper.

now that said, we went to the immi office recently here, almost no people waiting, staff were friendly etc...total turn around.

2. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

Even the off-shore visa centres are inconsistent.

Really comes down to where you apply for the visa unfortunately, sounds like the Japan one is one of the few good ones.

The one for Thailand is useless.

3. randomman

randomman Member

I didn't think it was 3 years? It is quite thorough. I had to write an affidavit saying I'd known a friend and his girlfriend for a year and a bit and been out on dates with them and my ex-girlfriend. I never got a phone call though, so they must have been happy with what I wrote...

4. davros123

davros123 Member

Race and immigration issues aside, the intent of this visa is for people intending to marry or enter into a perm. relationship.

I would counsel anyone to avoid rushing to get engaged to someone they know only for a year.

I say this with all sincerity. Take your time.

If it is right it will last the test of any government or distance challenge.

5. Meth

Meth Member

Forgive me, I couldn't be bothered reading the posts from all the armchair professionals.....

Its simple bud - go the prospective marriage visa - anything else and you're subject to proving the relationship is genuine bullshit - which is subject to the fucktard that's employed by an embassy offshore that knows neither what a shrimp is or a Barbie - moreover, if they did... they'd view themselves a sup to date with what's "cool" and "Hip"....

Pay the cash if your serious, get it done, get her here, and start living....

Alternatively, keep asking questions, hold of committing, and have a fucked up lonely life.

If its what you truly want - the only cost that matters is living alone...

All others, please flame away and prove that you have NFI...

If you're still stuck, my migration agent is a bloke called Jeff Harvey based out of the Philippines - Good Bloke, been through it all himself - wont steer you wrong. Do a Google search - not going to link his website cause I don't want the flame Nazi's criticizing me for unsponsored links

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  6. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

Maybe if you actually read the posts you would not need to make a generalization on everyone that posted.

I'm still going through the process and was giving my experience on it, ironically my migration agent is the same as yours.

Still to say everyone in this thread has nfi is a bit offensive but hey whatever no skin off my back.

7. Bigtosser

Bigtosser Member

Some good advice so far, some bullshit.
    My wife is from a high risk country.)Thailand
    She is currently on a subclass 309 temporary partner provisional visa, we just applied for her 100 visa, Permanent resident visa.

From south Korea, it should be so much easier, there is no way of avoiding the expensive Visa application fees, but an offshore application is less expensive. She can also come to Australia on a tourist visa, whilst this is being processed, but must be offshore when a decision on the visa being granted is made. Processing times are currently being quoted as 12 Mths in reality 7-9 Mths is more accurate. ours was 6 mths 15 days from the date the application was submitted.

FWIW, you don't need to use a registered MARA AGENT. They do provide a service, but essentially all they do is take your money(my opinion). Your case manager is NOT your enemy, they are a useful tool, WILL assist you indirectly, BY ASKING FOR WHATEVER THEY NEED, to process your application. As a sponsor, you CAN do it all yourself, if you feel competent. If money is no object yes use a visa agent.
    You will save money if you get married first, if you are secure in your relationship. I agree what was previously posted about rushing into this. This is very important. If your'e relationship breaks down after the prospective spouse/partner visa is granted, you will have an exclusion period of 5 years before you can sponsor another applicant. Not to mention the financial and emotional cost!

Everyone's opinion will differ on the above points, from the armchair experts, to those, like me who have actually done it.
    I wish you the very best of luck.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  8. Recharge

Recharge Member

I have a friend who went through something similar, she went for PR, it total it's cost her nearly 60 grand and three years in total, they fuck you around SO much to suck more money from you at every point, it's a disgusting process that could do with a LOT or reworking and it's a cowboy industry to say the least.

but I guess, this is why people try to get here on boats.

9. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Shop around for immigration consultants as 8k is a bloody rip off - we paid 1.5K to a consultant in 2004-2005 (does not have to be a lawyer - thus inflated prices - but needs to know the law) for my Japanese wife's Permanent Residency Visa, but had gotten 5K - 7K quotes from "non-lawyer" foreigners!

The consultant basically just advised, provided, reviewed and prepared for processing all of the relevant paperwork for our application.

Start "capturing/documenting" your relationship ASAP:
    - lot's of pictures at different events over time,
    - joint bank account,
    - Telstra, Elec., Rental Agreements, etc. etc in both names.

A critical factor is "money" and the Aust. Govt. wants to see that she will not become an instant burden on the health system or welfare thus you either need money in the bank with a permanent job or someone to be an "assurance of support" representative.

10. Bigtosser

Bigtosser Member

All very good points. :thumbup:

11. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

IMO, migration agents are a rip off full stop..

they're really not required if you follow the instructions

12. dephilile

dephilile Member

I don’t mean to hijack your thread round, but I thought I would update the latest with our visa application.

We applied for a visa through the Seoul Australian Embassy 5 and a half months ago. Got word today….. Good news is that our application looks good and our paperwork is in order and the visa will be issued. The bad news is we have to wait another 4 to 7 months for them to issue the damn visa. I just don't understand how they can on one hand say "your paperwork is in order and we will approve your application" only to turn around and say "you have to wait another 4 to 7 months".

A friend of a friend lodged an application (for perspective partner visa, he is Australian, she is Korean) from inside Australia 18 months ago and were only just assigned a case officer last weekend. What is going on at immigration!?!?!:confused: :tired: :sick: :thumbdn:

Australia, keeping foreigners out through laziness and red-tape.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  13. OP
    OP
    round

round (Banned or Deleted)

cheers :p

update for me as well.

she came back to australia on ETA travel visa, and we then lodged inside australia

she is now on a bridging a visa..and has medicare access and full work rights

went the immigration lawyer route... was it worth is? maybe...

went with a large immigration firm, mainly because they had a korean lawyer to help us with it..

all up it costed $8500 so far, $4600 for the cost to lodge in Australia, the rest for the lawyer..

he really hammered use for all the evidence and documentation, the amount of evidence was larger then i expected(was it required) well if it fails no.. but he was pretty re-assuring with the application, re-assuring that we had a large amount of supporting evidence..

will see how it goes.. we are happy, and she is about to start a job as a dental assistant, gain some experience in Australia and then prepare for the dental hygienist test for Australia...

she has a job and can legally stay here in Australia... thats all i care about... length of time waiting isnt to much of a problem, not really a major change in circumstance..
    smooth sailing now /fingers crossed

14. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

update from me as well, Visa just got granted today, she will be on a flight over here very soon :D

sadly its common place, it took over 10 months for our application, however i think it was mostly sitting in a pile until the last couple of weeks when a lot of stuff happened.

e.g. interviews, requests for new documents etc.

I've thought about typing up a letter on our horrible experience it and sending it to the appropriate people at the department of immigration but then i bet it will just be chucked in the bin.

Its funny how a country founded on immigration and a multi-cultural society is so hard to get into....

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2015
  15. dephilile

dephilile Member

lol. My wife is planning on becoming a dental assistant too!

Congrats!

16. OP
    OP
    round

its been a good period of time, she has been real happy and has gotten a lot of confidence from the interviews she has been too.. she was worried, like i kept telling her, she is over qualified for the positions, like a doctor applying for a nurse's job... was getting bored on the eta visa with no job going to the library to study every day...

17. dephilile

dephilile Member

Woot! It's been 9 months since the application was submitted.

18. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Gratz glad it was successful but more importantly finally over - you just have to hope you don't "bastardise" her to much now.......my partner was swearing in Harvey Norman the other day - using swear words for phonetics becuase I couldn't understand her....and I mean the C and F word......I had to lecture her afterwards.

19. OP
    OP
    round

congratz

if thats the que length, we have another 5 to wait..

20. dephilile

dephilile Member

We applied from outside Australia which is meant to be quicker. Had a friend apply from inside Australia and he and his wife (she is Korean) waited 18 months.