Vista Sleep, not completely dormant.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by sleator, Sep 9, 2007.

1. sleator

sleator Member

Hey guys, I just upgraded to Vista - Ultimate tonight,

I was looking forward to the hybrid sleep function, as it would be really handy.

ANYWAYS, So I install vista etc, install all the drivers and sort it out the way I wanted it etc..... Go to put it into Sleep mode....But it just turns my monitor kb and mouse off.... and all the fans are still on and the power LED is flashing..

So then I go and find that I need to put it into S3, which I do, come back to try it out... then it just.... goes into sleep(Doesnt actually turn off) then just comes back into Vista.... IM LIKE OMG WTF BBQ??!?!

Anyone help me??

I just tried to put it into sleep, and it turned the monitor kb and mouse off....... stayed on... I tried pressing the power button to wake it up and nothing.... now I have to do a hard reboot....

BTW I have an Asus P5B-E

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  2. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

just hibernate :)

also some hardware doesnt like to sleep. do you have anything old or elcheapo?

3. OP
    OP
    sleator

sleator Member

no, all the hardware is topnotch shit.

4. stablez

stablez Member

same thing happens with my vista premimum.
    I think the only way to do this is by option on the jumper pins on yur mobo?
    There might be other options thoe?:)

5. tunagirll

tunagirll Member

You can always try just turning it off?

6. me2

me2 Member

go into power options

select "change plan settings"

then select "change advanced power settings"

you have a list of items e.g. hard disk/usb/sleep

have a play around

7. OP
    OP
    sleator

sleator Member

Already done that. Doesn't work

8. NormM

NormM Member

Have a hunt around for the Media Center Standby Tool (MST). It's always worked for me.

Too bad that with my GA-P35-DS3P, after coming out of S3, I get a weird staticy sound through my speakers. Maybe time to stop using onboard audio :tongue:

9. me2

me2 Member

tried changing S states in your bios ..e.g. S1 & S3 ?
    or
    it might be a setting in your network card properties "allow this device to switch off to save power"

i must admit.. i found my system wouldn't go into proper sleep mode occasionally, forgot what i did to stop it ...

10. OP
    OP
    sleator

sleator Member

Just checked and my network card is set to allow to switch off to save power.

My bios is on S State S3..

11. OP
    OP
    sleator

sleator Member

Nudge.... Anyone please help??

12. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

You've patched your system right up, haven't you?

Because if you have, I suspect there was a patch that broke Vista sleep. I dunno what patch it was, why it broke sleep etc; but my Vista Enterprise notebook used to sleep just fine, and about 6 weeks ago that changed to a state where it only sleeps if it's on battery.

It still hibernates just fine; it sleeps perfectly if I remove the power supply first (it's a notebook after all). It just won't sleep if I leave the power in.

13. Renza

Renza Member

omg mate, i have the same problem with my HP laptop! works fine after a format, some days later, it will only sleep whilst on battery.

thanks for letting me know it wasnt me :)

14. tfroggydawg

tfroggydawg Member

same problem here.

sleep basically just resets my machine.

15. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

Luckily there are 4 of us with the same issue on the same project - all Vista Enterprise (all using the braindead corporate build - damn corporate activation servers mean we can't DIY any more).

16. Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

This happens to me probably once every 50 times i sleep my comp.

All the fans still on, but everything is sleeping. Rest of the time its fine though so not sure.

17. McDaddy_

McDaddy_ Member

Same thing for me with sleep mode. But the weird thing is it also does it when I try to shut down the computer. If I want to turn the computer off I have to wait for vista to shut down and then hold in the power button for 4 seconds to turn the computer off completely. I haven't been able to find a solution yet.

18. Meddish

Meddish Member

had this problem with xp MCE and with vista once or twice... unfortantly the ONLY way ive found to fix it is to reformat with S3 turned ON before formating....

sorry... only way ive found to fix it...

also as a side note... my current system does the same where it will go into sleep then take 20min-60min to actualy turn off the fans... dont know why... dont care to be honest....

19. Jarwedy

Jarwedy Member

GA-P35-DS4 - I can sleep vista and the PC 'shutsdown' like it would if you actually shut it down, pc bascially powers off. Basically what you'd expect. Don't know what the S3 or other related settings are.

Vista Ultimate x64, I also have a laptop with Ultimate 32bit and it works fine. Possibly check for a bios update or drivers. The laptop sleeps with either AC power or no AC.

My old old PC used to sleep but not power off, fans all running and HDD spun down, it was in S3 aswell but I never used sleep at all.

20. maxy0987

maxy0987 Member

You think that's weird, when i power down my PC one in every 100 or so shutdowns there is still power running to the usb devices that aren't meant to get it.

For example normally my keyboard doesnt draw power when the pc is off. Except occasionally the scroll lock LED stays on? Makes me think the pc is really just asleep rather than shut down.

My problem is when i sleep/hibernate and wake again my tv tuner doesnt work.

I won't blame vista, i guess it's just teething problems we need to sort out