Vista Ultimate 32bit + Win XP Pro 32bit

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Spamz0r, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Spamz0r

Spamz0r (Banned or Deleted)

Hi All,

So I am fairly frustrated with my current setup - gaming performance in Vista 32bit is still poor as.

I simply want to know if doing a dualboot (as title suggests, one partition on my raid for Vista U 32, the other for XP pro 32)

Will this work OK ?

I was thinking Vista is great for sitting on the web, i still like it for officey sort of stuff, but gaming, you just can't beat XP SP3.

Plus I want to get back into overclocking, even more intense gaming :p and benching, so I NEED XP Pro.

Edit: Also I was thinking I should install XP onto the first partition - so its the faster parition?
    And do I need to install Vista or XP first?

Cheers all
    Tom

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  2. the scotsman

the scotsman Member

If you're going to do both from scratch, install XP first. The when you install Vista, a boot menu will be created by the Vista install.
    If you want to keep the Vista partition, install XP onto the other partition. You won't have a boot menu, but all you need to do is install VistaBootPro

This will create a boot menu with Vista and XP when you run it.

3. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

you'll need to repair the vista install after you've installed XP because vista uses a different way to keep the boot information.

4. OP
    OP
    Spamz0r

Thanks guys, that's perfect;

I'll be formatting anyway as i'll have a new motherboard, CPU, video card, etc

And I think if you switch raid controllers you need to anyway? Maybe not, it doesn't matter the raid 0 array only has one partition and I think a clean slate would be the best starting point :)

Oh I'm excited now :D can't wait to build this system

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I keep a dual boot system going with XP SP3 and Vista 64bit, so that at lans if I ever have a problem with Vista I can always go back to XP. Works really well, and saved my butt a few times : )

6. bmik

bmik Member

Just stick with XP?

I'm a huge Vista fan and if anyone asks I will tell them how much XP sucks compared to it, but I see no justifiable reason to keep Vista and XP on your computer if XP can do everything Vista can do for you plus more. Yes it might be old and yes it is nearing the end of the line but by the time you're almost forced to go to Vista, all those game performance problems will probably be non-existant.

Think of the HD space being wasted just to have two different OSes. Just because Vista is newer it does not mean it is better for you. I used Win2000 until mid-2005, only problem? I had to keep MSN7 and couldn't go to 7.5. Look at UNIX software: code written in the mid 80's is still being used today.

I'd recommend you just stick with XP. If you want to dual boot then the easiest way to do it would be to install XP first, and let Vista install its boot manager. You can go edit the startup options in msconfig. It's easier than installing Vista first then editing boot.ini in XP to include Vista in the bootloader list. EDIT: I'd also recommend Vista64 if you are going to be dual booting. May as well prepare for the 64-bit future while you're at it if you have a reliable XP32 to fall back on anyway.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  7. Cozmo

Cozmo Member

can you explain to me why you think xp sucks, i'm interested to know?

i understand vista has a pretty interface, but apart from this i am interested to know?

xp should be just as secure as vista as the windows updates are still rolling out and will continue to do so for some time.

so what are the other reasons?

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Wonder if we will see another service pack for XP.....I'm thinking probably not...

9. bmik

bmik Member

I don't think XP sucks, I think it's great, but then again Vista is really really great. It was just a way of getting my point across.

Just off the top of my head two things I really like about Vista that weren't in XP is the prefetching or whatever it's called (the one where you can use USB disks and free RAM to store applications that are likely to be launched) and the fact my disk never seems to be slow or sluggy. Vista seems to defrag as you use it whereas XP never did that AFAIK.

10. OP
    OP
    Spamz0r

I think Vista 64bit is the way to go for now >.>

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Not considered dual boot scenario?

12. Boxman

Boxman Member

I agree. Not to turn this into an OS comparison thread but I used to dual and triple boot with Vista x64 and the various incarnations of XP. I no longer feel the need to do that. With Vista x64 SP1 the performance is there, you just need to do your homework and set it up to do what you want it to do. That includes benching and overclocking.

You won't look back. If you do --> virtualisation.

13. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i want to go 64-bit but with the amount of assignments i have for uni I don't think I can afford to have my PC go out of action, even for a few hours.

14. OP
    OP
    Spamz0r

Mr Chilled, not anymore

I really hadn't done too much reading prior to this thread, in terms of xp 64 vs v 64, there really isn't much difference

I think i'll be happy enough on Vista 64bit even if I am benching.

15. DraGoN-BoY

DraGoN-BoY Member

Quick question that is a bit off track, I have a Vista 32bit cd key, will it work for 64bit as well?

16. kreegor

kreegor Member

yes

10 char

17. bmik

bmik Member

OEM? No. Retail? Yes.

18. the scotsman

the scotsman Member

Not correct. You CAN use the OEM 32-bit key on OEM 64-bit Vista. Some people report it doesn't activate over the net, but activates fine over the phone.

19. bmik

bmik Member

It's a dodgy way of doing it though. Sometimes it works but in general OEM keys are for whatever platform they came with. Retail exists so you can put it on whatever you want. The whole point of OEM is to tie the OS to that PC.

20. eva2000

eva2000 DDR1/DDR2/DDR3 Addict