1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Vivid - Sydney 2017

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by TwinII, May 11, 2017.

1. TwinII

TwinII Member

A mate has invited me to Sydney for 4 nights to shoot Vivid with him. Anyone have any tips for locations or any other useful tips?

2. konholyoh

konholyoh Member

3. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Locations are easy. Head for the opera house. From there you can shoot the harbour bridge, the opera house itself, a whole bunch of other buildings around the circular quay, the rocks and darling harbour area are all withing walking distance for a nights shooting. You're going to love it :thumbup:

4. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

do it during the week as soon as it starts or you'll be battling millions of people

5. OP
    OP
    TwinII

TwinII Member

Thanks guys for the tips. We're not going at the start, but we will be there for 4 nights so can venture out a couple of times. We will be there on 2 weeknights in case the crowds are too much.

Anyone have any experience shooting film at this event? I've got some Provia 400X but I feel it could be too slow if the lights are quite fast moving. Any tips?

6. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Get setup early if you have a specific spot in mind. The top balcony near Quay can be good.

Otherwise not really, its the same but different each year (if that makes sense)

7. lench

lench Member

Agreed. If you've never been before, have a go at it but expect crazy crowds, even mid-week.
    Personally i'm leaving the camera at home this year and going on a dinner harbour cruise to just enjoy it :thumbup:

8. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

Found a building with interactive lights last year, drew a big penis on it.

10/10 would draw big light penis again.

9. Yellowphone

Yellowphone Member

Shot vivid in 2015 over 4 days to produce this: https://youtu.be/MZGAHRNeSzU and I've also shot a bit of film.

Tips:
    1. Plan your locations (google maps can be helpful) before you go to vivid so you don't have to double back. Walsh bay and the platform near quay restaurant (as mentioned above) are pretty good spots
    2. With film, maybe consider shooting bw (i enjoy trix) because of its wider dynamic range
    3. Focus on one area per night (circular quay can take 2 nights, darling harbour should be fine for 1 night but make sure you catch the fireworks)
    4. Dress warmly and bring snacks

Happy to answer any questions you might have

10. OP
    OP
    TwinII

TwinII Member

Wow that is one awesome timelapse! Great work and thanks for the tips. Is Darling harbour the only place with fireworks?

I haven't shot any colour negative so maybe I'll shoot some of that - I'm not sure! I'll see.

Thanks,

Martin

11. Yellowphone

Yellowphone Member

In 2015, I'm pretty sure it was the only location that had fireworks.

I would recommend bringing a sturdy tripod with something to weigh it down (e.g. a camera bag) because you'll get a lot of vibrations with people walking everywhere.