1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Vlad's smallest possible mATX Ryzen build

Discussion in 'Modding' started by vladtepes, Feb 21, 2020.

1. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

This build has from the start been specced as intended to go into one of sonicthemouse 's cases.
    see his case build thread click here

And allow me to acknowledge all those to contributed to my various questions, especially in my original thread

_______________________________________________________________________________

The system specifications are:

Mobo: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX AM4 Micro-ATX
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    RAM: 32GB DDR4 (2x16G) G.Skill 3200Mhz Ripjaws V RAM PN F4-3200C16D-32GVK
    GPU: Powercolor Radeon 5700XT Red Dragon
    PSU: Corsair SF600 600W 80 Plus Gold Full Modular SFX
    SSD: 2TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro PCIe M.2 SSD Drive PN ASX8200PNP-2TT-C
    CPU cooler: Noctua NH-L12S Low Profile
    Case fan: Noctua A12x25 PWM Premium Quality Quiet 120mm PC Case Fan 2000rpm NF-A12x25 PWM

(Photos to follow in due course)

It's built on a piece of cardboard at the moment, allowing me to install Windows and a few other programs.

One thing which is abundantly clear is how awful the stock Corsair ribbon cables are. Given the case is half transparent (and even though I'm not too much of a fusser about that) I'll definitely want some nicer cables - even if only for easier/tidier cable management.

Plan is to check normal temps, then run some stress tests on it and keep that data.
    I can then do the same again when I build it in Sonic's case to assess what impact the small case has on temps.

_______________________________________________________________________________

For more info around how I selected my system specs etc, see the original thread I posted here:
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/...ng-of-amd-move-please-explain.1270932/page-14

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    T4orce, Defyant and mad_mic3 like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

My case is currently being manufactured. :)

My case design (spec by me but designed obviously by sonic):

Hex grilles in the front panel and bottom panel,
    Black rear/bottom/motherboard side panel and clear top/front/window side panel.
    Single, dual-slot rear GPU cut-out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure the Noctua CPU cooler will fit.. lets hope so eh :)

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  3. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Apologies for video >1 hour - future ones will be shorter.

Worth watching for anyone considering one of sonics cases, and for sonic himself.

Or anyone suffering the 'what else can I watch' corona effect :)

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    T4orce likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

placeholder 3

5. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

OK feel free to chat/discuss. I'll update the thread above as things progress. Cheers

6. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

Do it.Stop talking about it.:)

Defyant, VirtualNinja and vladtepes like this.
  7. Defyant

Defyant Member

How does air get out Vlad?

DSTM (Dougie) likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

You'd be better off asking sonicthemouse as he could provide a better explanation and I don't have case yet.

9. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Using the Blender Benchmark the results can be found here
    https://opendata.blender.org/benchmarks/9656cd85-67b2-4581-a7b4-9bf22427e843/

CPU temps ranged between 38 degrees at idle to 82 degrees at peak stress under blender benchmarks.
    HW monitor results attached.

AIDA64 Stress test with Mobo, CPU, RAM and SSD saw peak at 91 and typically around 86 degrees under full load. System stability was fine. Seems quite high temp wise?
    I know though that CPU is rarely going to run at 1`00% for any length of time.

Computer is literally right next to my keyboard at the moment. Noctua CPU cooler fan noise was pretty quiet at idle and noticeable when fully stressed - which for me would would mostly only (potentially) happen during gaming
    Seems good.
    Will be interesting to see how temps compare when everything is cased up.

I'll do a GPU benchmark next.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  10. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Unigine Superposition
    Extreme settings 40-50 ZFPSD from memory which I'm not too happy with.' I thought the 5700XT would do better.
    High settings 72 - 107 FPS Avg 94 FPS
    It saved some logs but I don''t know what program to open them in ?

Nor do I know how to check/save temps while benchmark is running as it wouldnt allow me to have anything overlaid on the benchmark screen....

Umigine Heaven
    At Últra''setting
    Told me frame rates varied between 9 and 161 (yeah thanks) but actual average was 84 FPS which is OK I guess?
    I tried to have GPU-Z running in the background and if log can be believed GPU temp was around 73 degrees. Seems optimistically low?

I;d appreciate if anyone could tell me what I can do to get more accurate figures and what if anything I can do to improve the frame rates. Is thew 5700XT supposedly capable of running games at Éxtreme' while maintaining a decent frame rate?

How do I know if throttling is occurring?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  11. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Well I got around to editing the footage I've recorded so far.
    I've got most of the actual footage / clips done. Just some finishing touches required and a bit of research to (for example) figure out how to convert the audio track to mono, blur an address etc

It's not a very professional job at all, but is somewhat instructive for anyone interested in Sonic's case - hopefully a little bit humorous - and it's a great learning experience for me.
    Will do a lot of things differently next time. (I'll film in landscape for a start! :rolleyes: )

It's about 1h20m of footage (from 2 days of work) so I'll have to put some timeline notes in the description to make it more digestible. :)

Hopefully will have that up in the next couple of days.

12. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Video posted - see reply no 2 above.

Yep I know my address shows but no amount of fiddling with the blur function in YT studio could get it blurred tyhe way I wanted but not affect other stuff.
    And I don't really care anyway :)

Lesson learned - cover addresses etc BEFORE filming :)

I'll get around to putting some time markers on the video at some point.

Cheers all :)

13. havabeer

havabeer Member

i only skimmed over the video, not sure how much more of this you plan to do, but consider investing in a small tri-pod or something for the phone. helps get rid of the shakey-ness, and lets you position the camera so you can use both hands.

be aware making video's becomes addictive

vladtepes likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

I was using a suction ram mount thing but very small and essentially at desk height. A better tripod def on the cards.
    I do have a big tripod but no way of attaching phone I was filming on.

15. T4orce

T4orce Member

Thanks for the video, had a quick skimm through it myself and love the case :thumbup:
    If it would help, I used something similar to this to attach a phone to a tripod
    Universal Mobile Phone Tripod Mount Adapter

Looking forward to pics :)

vladtepes likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Well now that I have a working power switch thingy I went to put things back together ready to put computer back in the case.

Of course I seem to have lost the screw/s for the M2 ssd so I have ordered a few from ebay that'll take 5 days or so..
    hopefully I'm edging toward getting this sorted - finally.

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

sonicthemouse whatever happened about those power switches? My dad had a good look and tested it and reckons there are no problems with the cables.

So the only possibility for it not working might be that the plug is not wired correctly for the pins on the mobo.

18. sonicthemouse

sonicthemouse Member

I don't believe that's the case, I think the Power LED or maybe HDD LED is drawing too much current or shorting out or something, pretty sure the wiring is correct.

Did you try it with the replacement cables I sent you for testing? :thumbup:

19. Defyant

Defyant Member

vlad !

Power switch is 2 wires??? you cant fuck that up..... no matter what way you connect it ........

They run to a momentary push switch? ....surely all you would do is connect a multi to test.... yes ????? then push the button and watch the multi......

DSTM (Dougie) likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

sonicthemouse - yes :)

Defyant - yes with a generic switch (such as that sonic sent me) it works fine.

The issue is that the nice front panel IO thing supplied with the case originally doesn't work. That has been tested and there are no connectivity/wiring issues in the switch circuit itself.

That is what left me with the theory that the mobo plug for the front io panel was actually wired incorrectly - so that using the switch doesn't actually bridge the correct terminals. Does that make sense?

sonicthemouse have you found a fix (e.g. disconnecting those LEDs or something) and got the panel to work somehow?