VLC Player (4K Playback Issues)

Discussion in 'General Software' started by neopheX, Jan 24, 2019.

1. neopheX

neopheX Member

Had a search but couldn't find anything specific.

When I play high bit-rate 4K content via VLC it's choppy as anything and basically unwatchable. I know they released an update addressing 4K issues sometime ago but it still happens regardless. So what's the go with it? Surprisingly though, is when I play the same 4K content via the inbuilt Movies app on Windows 10 it plays perfectly fine? Why is VLC so bad at playing 4K content?

2. Copie

Copie Member

Its all about them codec packs.

3. OP
    OP
    neopheX

neopheX Member

The ones that come installed within VLC? If they're that bad (for so long) how come they haven't addressed it yet? Considering VLC has been the 'Go To' player for over a decade for many users you would think they would have made sure their codecs would function correctly when it comes to 4K high bitrate content. As long as they're dropping the ball then that's a different story, who knows lol.

4. bcann

bcann Member

Whats your CPU usage like? VLC has quite a decent amount of issues with regards to hardware acceleration on some GPU's for offloading purposes.

5. OP
    OP
    neopheX

neopheX Member

CPU clock speeds stay at 4.90Ghz but the actual usage is only around 20-40%. Even if I set VLC to maximum CPU usage it doesn't do anything.

From memory I think my GPU usage was higher than my CPU usage when playing 4K content, which was part of their update to give smoother 4K playback.

6. power

power Member

7. OP
    OP
    neopheX

neopheX Member

Did this a while back when I came across on it when I had a search didn't make a difference lol. FFmpeg and the inbuilt Movies app from Win10 works just fine and that is on a test machine with lesser hardware.

I am OCD and don't like having more programs installed then what I need! :lol::lol:

It isn't a huge deal as I mostly use Plex these days, but still would like to watch the odd 4K stuff on PC once in a blue moon. I just thought VLC was still the pinnacle for PC video/audio playback

8. power

power Member

for those who cbf'd it is

9. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Use mpv like everyone else

10. bcann

bcann Member

It used to be, now it just falls into the "Ok" Basket

neopheX likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    neopheX

neopheX Member

Shows how out of the loop I am on this front. Never even heard of it :lol::lol:

I'll give it a try :thumbup:

12. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Make sure you don't have any latency issues with your system as it can affect playback of audio and movie files. Download DPC Latency checker to verify your system. Most cases it comes down to old or out-dated drivers.

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Neither have I. First time I've seen it recommended here as well. There you go. Might try it myself.

14. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

I'm on v2.2.8. I recommend rollback to this version. When I was updated to 3.0(.3?), videos became extremely choppy and heavily glitchy/pixelated no matter the fps/bitrate/resolution, and when I rolled back, all was back to normal.

15. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

VLC is fine. We use it to play 4K, 6K, and 8K content fine on three different OSes.

Ensure you're running the latest version, and the 64bit build. If you've been fiddling with settings or upgrade, is worth clicking the "reset settings" button to make everything sane again. The defaults will always attempt to use GPU acceleration where possible.

Not for VLC. It's built from ffmpeg, which is the same code YouTube, Netflix and folks like ILM and Weta use. It supports almost every codec under the sun, and had hardware acceleration support for every common GPU.

FerrisXB9R and cvidler like this.
  16. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

i had issues with VLC and 4K as well, i found MPC worked fine

17. KANNIS

KANNIS Member

This also fixed my issues.
    My VLC can't play a simple Gopro 2.7k and 4k video anymore. I'm always having issues with it. Using MPC now, its awesome.

18. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

By MPC do you mean https://mpc-hc.org/ ? Or Media Player Classic (is that even a thing anymore?)

19. xplod140

xplod140 Member

MPC-HC I am quite certain is the solution.

20. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Yep, you're right it is.