1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

VM via RDP windows 7 browser causing high cpu

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by bucket23, Sep 10, 2021.

1. bucket23

bucket23 Member

Got a problem google couldn't solve and I've looked here and couldn't find anything to help me.

I've got a server 2016 with a windows 7 VM. I rdp into it.
    I have the same problem when I rdp from another windows pc or via an ipad.

I play browser games on the VM. I always thought that I would get virus's or something, however after years I haven't got any.
    That's the reason I did it on a VM was so I could blow it away and not worry about my main rig.

Two weeks ago my browser started to crawl, using chrome. Switched to edge and same thing. CPU usage is 90% plus all the time. If I minimise the browser the CPU goes down to 3% or so. As soon as I maximise the browser window the CPU usage goes straight back up.

On the VM I doubled the ram from 4G to 8G, changed the CPU cores from 2 to 4, still the same thing.

When I check the CPU usage within hyper V it shows CPU usage as a low amount 10% or so. The CPU on the 2016 server is about 30% (Got Blue Iris running).

There were no updates during the time for the pc or server apart from some antivirus updates (windows).

I also did a test and upgraded the image of the Win7 to Win10 and the same issue presents.

I've tried disabling the GPU in chrome and edge and issue still remains.

I'm at a loss, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

What browser game are you playing?
    Have you tried using Edge instead?

3. OP
    OP
    bucket23

bucket23 Member

Tried edge same thing.

I down to thinking it's the servers that I'm accessing. Tried it on another pc that wasn't a vm and same issue.