vm

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Haillion, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Haillion

Haillion Member

fgjfmgjvmm

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  2. whitehat67

whitehat67 (Banned or Deleted)

all that would do is amke a confilct of sorts.

i think thats why the made physx cards pci and not pci-express

3. cheyumm

cheyumm Member

yeah.. read that somewhere before.. if im not mistaken.. nvdia/ati is working with havok to make drivers for video card as physic cpu..

for nvidia, u can use sli motherboard and u can use high end card for graphics and low/mid end card for physics...
    http://theinquirer.net/?article=32228

but im not sure for ati.. heard they want to produce 3x 16pcie lane board.. 2 for crossfire, 1 for physics..
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32208

4. ics

ics Member

That would be insane....

August is a fair way away though... long time to wait

T

5. TOX

TOX Member

With SLI Physics there seems like problems

You go buy 2 x 7900GTs in SLI for a good performance increase but want physx so one of your new $400 cards does nothing but physics which isn't a bad thing with the cost of the Asus/BFG Physics cards but you lose your performance.

ATI solution on the other hand is a better option where you get your Crossfire performance PLUS the added bonus of Physics. So you get Physics + Performance

That said thought a fair bit of R and D has gone into the Ageia card and I am sure there is more to real life physics then just another GPU.

SLI being the better multi card technology the best bet would be SLI 7900GT and a BFG/ASUS Phsyx card.

We won't know about this whole GFX card doing phsyics to later on in the year or early next. The Ageia option as far as I am concerned is the best so far :)

6. thormania

thormania Member

It'd be pretty sweet to wack in a 5000 series nvida card into a spare pci slot and use it for physics. They are cheap and would do the job to an extent i think. Not all of us are made of money for 3 high end ATI cards.

7. FLB

FLB Member

ATI's solution requires an X1K series based card for physics, and they recommend an X1600 or better for it. So you could run 2xX1900 for gfx, and 1 X1600 or 1 X1900 & 1 X1600 etc, or 3 X1900's! ;)

Seems Shader Model 3.0 cards are required at least due to the dynamic branching required for Physics calculations.

8. yanman

yanman Member

forgive my ignorance but I thought the ATi solution still required a separate card for physics, and they mentioned boards with 3 slots, 2 cards for cross-fire the 3rd for physics (or obviously 2 cards, 1 for each)?

The ATi solution sounds nice if you can mix cards, ie. a 1900 for graphics and a 1600 for physics.

9. TOX

TOX Member

Sorry I did mean thanks to the 3rd VGA card :)

I probably thought a head but stopped writing :)

10. timmay556

timmay556 Member

That would hella rule if you could use say a 7900GT for your GFX and just grab a 6600GT and make it a physix card!!!!!

11. Willybomb

Willybomb Member

Well, I don't know about physics on unused GPU, but BionicFX are apprently going to use unused cycles for VST processing.

http://www.bionicfx.com/info.html

Sounds pretty cool, but I'll wait and see how it works before I get too excited. Music apps as a general rule are pretty sparse visually, so I imagine there's a fair bit of GPU capacity going unused..

Willy.

12. yanman

yanman Member

VST now as well?? sweeet... we certainly live in interesting times (for nerds ;))

13. kona_boy

kona_boy Member

Boooooring. This tech is getting out of hand. It's at the stage where I am not even wowed anymore.

14. yanman

yanman Member

it's the trouble with all these media releases and tech. demos but no actual products on the shelves we can go and enjoy*... patience grasshopper :p

*yes you can buy Aegia but really... it's nothing special yet.

15. cheyumm

cheyumm Member

well.. you can still use 4x pci-e slot for the third card.. if bandwidth is not a problem..

16. yanman

yanman Member

mmmm bring on the motherboard with lots of high speed interconnects direct to the CPU, like HTX, and technologies like Hypertransport 3 and Infiniband :) I'm sure things will end up this way, since it's surely got to be more efficient once they get the R&D done.

Separate the I/O from the processing parts. So you'd have say, an output module that might have your display, audio outputs/inputs etc.. but the GPUs Physics units, DSPs etc would all just slot in and interface directly with the CPU and each other.. then the resulting outputs sent to the A/V I/O module for sending to projectors/panels/amps etc.

that way you'd just either add more GPU modules or replace the existing ones with more powerful ones, but your module that plugs into your monitor etc remains.

17. ics

ics Member

I have a 7950GX2, using my old 7800 GT in my SLI mobo with the 7800 doing physics would rock.

Edit: I got the new vid card because the 7800 GT had to be RA'ed and I didn't want to go without any vid card for 3 weeks. 6 weeks until I pay it off.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  18. stmok

stmok Member

Need to make a couple of points there.

(1) The recent driver and game patch updates have improved AEGIA cards performance...Its now such that you are a few frames faster with an AEGIA card. (The performance drop as seen in early reviews/previews is gone!)

(2) The "use graphics cards to do physics" approach offers certain physics effects. It no where as comprehensive as the AEGIA solution.

(3) Despite (1), AEGIA cards ain't worth it, because of the current limited game support. I guess things will get better later.

(4) Its possible for an "ultimate game solution" to have 3 video cards and a Physx card. The Havoc solution can work to complement the Physics card. Well, you can have an SLI/Crossfire solution of 2 cards that will load balance the graphics and physics. It depends on the game support and drivers. But its not necessary to have 3 video cards.

19. TOX

TOX Member

(1) Yeah, I understand that the new drivers have helped performance in a huge amount. I know when I got my sample there was a driver the day before which helped the performance hit a huge amount in GRAW.

(2) This is pretty much excatly what I am getting at. The R&D gone into the Ageia Physx card and the fact that they use something other then a GPU chip must mean that there is more to Phsyx then just a video card.

(3) I dont think the price drop for Ageia is going to come around any time soon, but it will be come more justified as more games come out and make use of it. I notice BFG also bundle with GRAW now so it makes it a bit better value

(4) Thats true, you could have your Havoc solution and still have your Ageia solution but where talking big $$$s now with what could be $600+ for Physics.

End of the day thought the gamers are going to win one way or another. They are the ones who are getting there gaming experiance taken to the next level

20. TMM

TMM Member

no it won't.

ATI has proven this to work already by using a card like a X1900 to do the gfx work and a lower card such as an X1600 in the other PCI-e slot to do the physics work afaik..