VMWare boot time - how to slow it down to capture boot menu?

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by ChinoPD, Jul 21, 2008.

1. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Hi all, firstly my apologies for the silly question. I'm in the process of creating an image in VMWare and through the process I want to capture several snapshots of it before completing the image. My problem is that I intend to use rdeploy which is on an external HDD however the VMWare workstation is too quick to boot to the Windows screen before I press the key to call "boot menu". Some additional details:

VMWare version: 6.0.4 build 93057

I enabled "Enter full screen mode after powering on" in the options hoping I'd be able to call "boot menu" quick enough but unfortunatley it is still too quick. Memory allocation is 1GB, out of the 3GB I have on my work computer which is running on Vista Business 32bit.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. poompy

poompy Member

edit the vmx file for the machine and add the following line

bios.bootDelay = "5000"

where 5000 = 5seconds.

3. OP
    OP
    ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

I've just done that but the boot menu still pops up and disappears in a split second. It makes it easier for me to get into BIOS but not to select boot menu. It also does delay boot time but at the wrong stage. I'll look into it further. Thank you.

edit: too early, that actually did the trick, thanks mate!!!

4. poompy

poompy Member

while its is delaying the boot time press the esc key to bring up the boot menu

i am running vmware workstation 6.0.2 and i had the same problem till i entered that value.

edit: no worries. ;)

5. mwil7034

mwil7034 Member

ESX3.5 there is an option to boot to BIOS menu upon restart. I would imagine workstation would have something similar.