VMware ESX 3.5 vswitch stopped passing traffic

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by memnoch, May 25, 2009.

1. memnoch

memnoch Member

Hey guys,

One of our VMware hosts has stopped passing any traffic via a vswitch.

We migrated all VMs off this vswitch, to another physical NIC and different vswitch.
    The failing vswitch has been deleted, the physical switch port configuration has been checked, it has the correct VLANs configured.

A new vswitch has been created, but alas still the same fault.

I am thinking hardware failure of the NIC (this is the second port of the onboard nic), switch port failure (will have to get somone onsite to check the vlans are working ok) or my ESX host needs a reboot...

Has anyone come across something like this before?

We are using ESX 3.5, with no HA/DRS. Just a single host with direct attached storage.

2. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

yea.. .i'd be getting remotehands to check the cable between the switchport and the esx host.. trying a new cable, try the new cable n a new switch port etc.

ensure that noone has changed the vlan settings on the switch as well !

3. fR33z3

fR33z3 Member

no teaming/loadbalancing on the nic or switch?

4. OP
    OP
    memnoch

memnoch Member

Nope, single NIC to single Vswitch.

Switch port configuration is confirmed to be correct (no changes in our change logs fot that switch port, plus I have checked the switch config myself).

There were some spanning tree changes made else where, this was the trigger for the vswitch going bonkers.

The cable has been replaced.

5. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

see if you can bring the suspected failed nic-port up as a console port or something lke that, wit ha valid ip addrress of it's own, so you can try and ping it etc..

(am i making sense ?)