vmware workstation display serial output

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by itsmydamnation, Jun 5, 2010.

1. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

not sure best place to post this

im running vmware workstation on Win7 and i need to get it to output the serial to either a tcp port (telnet) or as the consol. anyone have any ideas how to do this.

cheers

2. BassJunkie

BassJunkie Member

I seem to remember that you have to use a USB-Serial adapter if you want this work. It sucks, and doesn't work for some devices, but it's what you have to do if you want to escape from Windows. There's a whole world of pain if you're into amateur radio and happen to require serial ;)

3. cleary

cleary Mental in the Face

Moved - I can't work out what this has to do with "Other Operating Systems"

4. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

because it isn't a "windows" issue its a vmware issue. doesn't matter if your using linux etc as the host.

5. Nyarghnia

Nyarghnia (Taking a Break)

I've come across this very same issue...

I have a windows server that has several RS232 connections out the back of it which connect to a Stallion E-Pipe device.

You can't use a USB adaptor or any other physical RS232 type connector and map it to a virtual machine, been there, tried that. This is because VMWare and other virtualization sytems abstract the hardware from the operating system,direct access to the hosts serial ports is not possible, though some people have had success with Xen.

Basically when I eventually virtualise my windows server fleet, this last box will obstinately sit there, because it needs physical adaptors. :( Unless I adopt Serial to IP...

What you need is a 'virtual serial device', it conists of a box which has the serial ports at one side and an ethernet port at the other, it comes with some software that you can then install onto whatever VM you need. This then creates a 'virtual' serial port on the Operating System that then maps everything to an IP socket, connects to the 'box' with all the cables pluged into it over IP and away you go.

Check this out.

http://www.perle.com/products/Serial-IP.shtml?source=ppc&gclid=CIClkdaaoaICFQIdewodGhSzxA

These products have a pretty good rep and I think that's what you're after, i'm getting some in for testing but am confident that this will allow me to virtualise my servers will need RS232 support, even in a virtualized environment. I've seen them used at other sites and they work just fine.

I hope this information helps.

-NyarghNia

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  6. nimmers

nimmers Member

7. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

Olive you can bind to a tcp port using qemu . this was for juniper IPS (IDP) in vmware, i gave up and ran it in qemu instead.