Vodka?

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by Dutch Woman, Jul 20, 2001.

1. Dutch Woman

Dutch Woman Member

yes i am a Vodka fan :D

i am just curious, what brands do u drick? im just consiodering my next purchase, gonna haveta move from smirnoff :p

2. Fresh

Fresh Member

The cheapest lol.

3. jediguy

jediguy Putin's alter-ego

I think the cheapest I drink is Kirov.

Absolut and Stolichnaya are kept in the house for *special* occasions...

4. Admiral

Admiral Member

Absolut.

However, since last NYE, I haven't even been able to sniff Vodka of any type without my stomach churning.

After half a case of Carlton Cold, and half a bottle of Absolut (and STILL being able to throw myself over a balcony and land with the grace of a ballerina) my body rebeled and I can't touch the stuff anymore.

The last thing I remember that night was grabbing the bottle, saying to everyone "WATCH THIS" and swigging down about 5 mouthfuls of the stuff.

I actually remember the sensation of my eyes going funny. and thinking "uh oh..."

BAD BAD BAD

5. vega

vega Member

lol admiral

Stolichnaya is my choice of vodka, however i usually drink smirnoff.

i make sure i stay away from those cheap brands, i've had some bad experiences with cheap vodka :p

6. dilligaf

dilligaf Member

' tis those damn mixers that get you into trouble.:D

7. jediguy

Yes!

I passed out from Kirov vodka about 2 days before Christmas, got Alcohol poisoning, and was throwing up for a day.

Now every time I think about Vodka I feel sick. Hopefully that feeling will evaporate before schoolies...

:D

8. dilligaf

dilligaf Member

Moderation will reap it's own rewards. :)

9. Crash Dummy

Crash Dummy Member

I've got a bottle of metho. Does that count ;)

10. Deus_Horribilus

Deus_Horribilus Member

lol

I recently went to NZ and brought back a litre of Absolut Citron, to make my personal fave shooter with. Vodka, and Lime Juice. It sorts the men from the boys better than any ID check.

I am also fond of Karloff, Smirnoff Vodkas, but I had Kirov Raspberry once, and wasn't too enthused with it.

Anybody ever try 100% proof Akvavit from Denmark? (not technically Vodka, but very close) Now that is potent stuff...

11. Hughesey

Hughesey Member

Admiral, haha i have the exact same thing wit bourbon now :)

Drank a whole 750ml bottle in one night, and I cant even smell it anymore :)

I too did the stupid thing of skulling abut 5 mouthfulls when dared by a friend... my throat didnt burn at the time, but it sure hurt the next day, as well as the rest of my body :|

ahh well, theres always BEER!

12. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

I aspire to being a vodka wanker (in the same way there are wine wankers and whiskey wankers).. you know, those boring people who can tell you all about a particular drink and go on for hours about the subtleties of flavours etc..

Well, I only have my own experiences and preferences to go off, but I did spend a lot of time in '98 travelling around asia so bought a LOT of duty-free vodka and did a fair bit of experimentation.

One thing to bear in mind is that pretty much every country/area on the planet has a native strong-spirit drink - because it's not hard to distill alcohol really. So there's all these geographical variants which are pretty similar (depending what they're made from), but unless it's made in Russia or Poland (or a few other european places where it spread early on) then, regardless of it being nice or not, it's questionable whether it's really Vodka at all - in the same way that Champagne isn't really Champagne unless it comes from a particular region in France. Australian Champagne, while perhaps being very nice, is pretty much an oxymoron. I think you're getting into the spirit (npi) of this wanker thing now. Russia has a recorded history of vodka production going back almost a thousand years. New Zealand, for example, does not.

I don't like vodka that has a strong aniseed taste, so my perception of "quality" is going to be biased against ones that taste aniseedy, and towards ones that taste "clear". I know that the aniseed taste is a deliberate goal by some vodka makers and presumably drinkers who like that will prefer their products. A third taste which I think is universally agreed as bad is the oily petrolly taste of the really cheap and nasty stuff. Anyway, my dislike for the aniseed taste rules out Absolut and a few others. Danska is the worst vodka I have ever drunk, it tastes like mower fuel IMHO. Gorbaschow is a German overproof vodka which is great for killing braincells (or cleaning driveways) but not really a cultured taste..

Because I prefer the clear-tasting vodka, Stolichnaya is my personal favourite. Finlandia is pretty good if I can't get Stoli. Smirnoff I avoid, partly because it tastes like aniseed, partly because it's the most popular vodka in the world (stupid personal flaw, don't like to follow the crowd, even if the crowd is onto a good thing) but mostly because there's some politics behind the recipe. Apparently Pierre Smirnoff, who was Russian, sold the recipe to an American distilling company and it's never tasted the same since - or so I'm told. Not particularly liking the taste makes it easy for me to take the moral high ground there. I have tried Smirnoff Black, which is their "private reserve" or whatever you call it, the least common and most expensive, as well as their middle-ground Blue and the common-as-muck Red, which seems to be the only vodka you can get in most places these days, especially aircraft. Stolichnaya have a private reserve too, called "Stolichnaya Kristall", which is a reference to the final distillation stage involving ice or something. I got to try some when a friend (who reads these forums) brought some back from Russia but I was sadly dissapointed by it, very oily taste.

Anything made in New Zealand or (sorry) Australia is to be avoided - be very suspicious of vodka with a really cliche'd "russian" name like "Kirov" or "Cossack".

Store it in the freezer, of course. This is another good test for vodka quality - Vodka that contains chunks of ice after being in the freezer for a while should be discarded.

As to how I drink it, either in shots (not too common, unless I'm on a get-shitfaced binge with friends) or sip it straight over ice. When I'm feeling particularly vodka-wanker'ish, I will drink it on a little ice with black pepper sprinkled into it. This is how the Russians and Polish apparently drink their home-distilled stuff, the theory being that the methanol (bad) sticks to the pepper and sinks to the bottom while the ethanol (good) doesn't. So you drink everything except the bottom few mm of liquid, which is presumably full of methanol and would send you blind/crazy/dead.. use it to clean your car engine or even run your car engine. This is obviously not an issue with bottled stuff tho, but the pepper adds a nice taste and is a good conversation starter (if you're big on conversations that end with the other person thinking "what a wanker").

I'm also quite fond of Stoli, tonic and lime. A short glass (whiskey tumbler is ideal), a finger of vodka, the same of lime and fill it with tonic.. very pleasant. Can drink them all night and still play pretty good pool. And no, it's not a girl's drink. What are you looking at?

13. Addict4

Addict4 Member

Schmirnoff for the cocktails and Stolichnaya for the neat drinking times.

14. jediguy

What? Does New Zealand even make Vodka?

I really hope that they don't make Kirov, because that was nasty, disgusting, cheap-ass Vodka that succeeded in making me exceedingly sick.

15. Mac No Pickle

Mac No Pickle Member

Agg if my mum saw that freezer she would go crazy with a hair dryer and an ice pick!

16. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

I did the sensible thing.. got another bottle and put it in the space next to the other one. I'll drink from this one more regularly so it won't get stuck. :)

17. Addict4

Addict4 Member

Nah let it all ice up invite friends around for a defrosting of your fridge bottle by bottle.LOL

18. OP
    OP
    Dutch Woman

Dutch Woman Member

man i want to raid ur freezer :D

19. Revenge

Revenge Member

Hey someone else that keeps Stoli's in the freezer !! I actually keep nearly all my spirits in the freezer, I love having shots using a shot glass that is also kept in the freezer, I figure this means that the drink is at a good solid minus something degress when it goes down...feels great, cold as when you swallow it and nice and warm in the gut :D

Have you noticed that while it will never freeze that alcohol (Stoli's especially, noticed it with JD as well) does seem to thicken slightly and become a bit more viscous ??

20. Fresh

Fresh Member

I wish i could put my vodka in the freezer but my step mum would get the shits big time. I'm allowed to drink just not in the house, so i have to stash it under my bead in a box full of 'old junk' *wink* *wink*.