VOIP / PBX advice

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by MadcatDJ, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

I'm going to have a crack at running it on an Atom based netbook, possibly over the weekend. Should be enough for the meantime. :thumbup: Thanks for all the help.

On a side note, what's the deal with porting a conventional POTS phone number to a VOIP service these days? I've had a go in the past but gave up due to ADSL being on the same line and it went straight into the too-hard basket at the time. This was a few years ago now so I'm not sure if it's still a difficult process or not.

2. NSanity

NSanity Member

POTS to VOIP is doable. We did it here (I believe we're using exetel corporate VOIP services).

Then again, we have ~80Mbit via various services.

3. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

I'm just concerned that porting out our number that is currently tied to a 2 year Telstra ADSL2+ contract may cause problems. Really not too sure what the process is there. I'm guessing they port the number and replace it at the same time? I'm hesitant to call Telstra as they're generally pretty useless.

Also lol @ your sig :lol:

4. Renza

Renza Member

Port the number and all services associated with that line will also be cancelled. Not sure if there is a way around this.

5. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Yeah. Would generally be best to get a new number, setup automatic forwarding and some sort of pre-recorded message saying that this number will change to xxxx-xxxx soon. Not as pretty, but probably a lot simpler.

6. Renza

Renza Member

Could you get a new number on your second pair, then get telstra to move the ADSL service over and continue the contract? I know that other ISPs are more than happy to do this.

7. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

I've been playing with FreePBX. So far, it's awesome, and I have got a pretty workable system now.

When it comes to QOS, do you prioritise each endpoint or just the trunk?

8. Renza

Renza Member

QoS only works on outbound, so just prioritise your sip trunk's destination address. RTP streams will probably go via the PBX (depending how its set up) if you need to set a source (will depend on the router)

9. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Yeah that's what I thought. Everything seems OK for now.

On a side note, this guy has a brilliant video tutorial series on setting up FreePBX. Some of his advice is a little strange (not sure why he opted for the much older version of FreePBX when a newer stable build is available) but 99% of it is solid and super useful.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1fn6oC5ndU-a3GjSPsBo6rIP9kXOxI0k

10. Renza

Renza Member

Here's another resource which may be useful, but is pretty outdated

http://www.asterweb.org/i/downloads_tutorial/piaf_without_tears.pdf

I used them back in the Trixbox days and where I learnt to manage asterisk systems. Much of the theory in it is still solid, just the GUI layout has changed vastly over the years.

11. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Yeah I saw that, but I gotta say that the video series I posted explains the basics a bit easier than that 221 page PDF :p definitely a lot of useful info in there though.

12. Renza

Renza Member

Yeah true.

One thing I will add (that's not covered in either of those guides) is make sure you have the box locked down. I have it so that iptables only allows traffic to my ISPs DNS server, my local LAN segment, and my VSPs SIP trunk. My firewall appliance is also set to only allow SIP traffic to the VSP networks as well. even better if you remove password authentication for ssh access, and make sure the web interface can only be accessed on the local networks too.

I learned that one the hard way through some toll fraud many many years back. It was all hidden behind NAT but they still managed to rack up quite a large bill.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  13. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

If it were me, I'd be ensuring QoS is done properly network-wide for all VoIP protocols (signaling and RTP), especially if you have remote workers or a multi-site network.

14. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Good idea, I currently have FreePBX in my DMZ on my router and configured it with the recommended firewall system, but I'll probably look at changing my SSH port to something else.

15. Renza

Renza Member

I would never put it in the DMZ, only behind a well configured firewall (unless testing for potential NAT issues, and then only temporarily). Way too much risk having it directly exposed IMO. If you need remote extensions with dynamic ips, there are clever ways (port knocking, sip header checking, etc) to allow registration outside your network, or you can use a VPN.

16. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Fair enough, the FreePBX setup explicitly said to put it in the DMZ though. I guess I'll disable and and see if problems arise.

17. Renza

Renza Member

They should not be saying that :tongue: Their wiki says:

18. gibbz

gibbz Member

useful thread.
    Does the PBX use much network data? ie, Is it worth isolating the phones to their own switch for a small install (2-5 phones)?

19. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

1. Not really a huge amount unless you have a small upload and a few concurrent lines.

2. No, won't make a scrap of difference. They use a megabit or two during a call, tops. You could say that fast ethernet is overkill for VOIP phones.

Edit: On side note, Telecube is giving me the shits with their trunk right now. Pennytel works fine on my setup, but with Telecube I can make an outgoing call and it will sound like it's ringing but no phones ring. With incoming, my phones ring, but when I answer, they keep ringing. It's bizzare. @Renza, have you had this problem?

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  20. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Just setup FreePBX again today.

[​IMG]