VoIP Setup

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by L4ncer, May 24, 2014.

1. L4ncer

L4ncer Member

I currently have a fibre to the home plan with iinet. We have a Dasan H64OGR modem installed and our internet is working fine. However what I'm having problems with is the VoIP. iiNet has assured me that it is now active.

I'm not sure how to log into the modem so I can enter all my VoIP details and get it working. Doing many google searches has turned up absolutely nothing about this modem or how to do anything with it.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers.

2. lionman

lionman Member

I might be wrong so someone please correct me if I am but I think you need additional hardware to get VOIP working.

I think you'll need a router which support VOIP that has a EWAN port to connect the cable modem. EWAN is basically an ethernet connection going from the modem into you router so the internet can be shared to more LAN ports or over WIFI. Note, on NBN voip is referred to as UNI-D.

The router can then be configured to connect to your voip account.

NBN also has dedicated phone connections on their modems which you can connect a normal phone to. This will have priority service over the internet connection and will work even in the case of a blackout (if your phone has battery back up too) as the modem should have a backup battery. I don't think these need any configuration at your end you should be able to plug in a phone and it should work, assuming it is configured by the provider correctly. This isn't strictly VOIP, but is referred to as 'Fiber Phone' or UNI-V.

iiNet should be helping you with this so call them.

3. OP
    OP
    L4ncer

L4ncer Member

Thanks for the reply. I have got a router with VoIP coming soon so setting it up shouldn't be a problem. I just wasn't sure if my service should be running already as there is a VoIP LED on the fibre modem (not currently lit up mind you) I have all my VoIP settings so should be fine once my hardware arrives.

4. koopz

koopz Member

tell them to fuck off and make it easier... there's 40 other providers ready to help you better right now this week

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  5. lionman

lionman Member

The light might be for the UNI-V connection? Have you tried plugging a normal phone into the connection box to see if you get dial tone?