VoIP vs Analog costs.

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by onebogan, Dec 17, 2012.

1. onebogan

onebogan Member

I'm trying to put together a document for work that salespeople in a large company can follow when selling VoIP infrastructure to clients. I know most of the benefits, and have listed them in the document, but I'm having trouble finding recent pricings of external analog phones versus VoIP, even just between sites. I'd like to throw in hard numbers for customer confidence.
    Has anyone got any case studies or anything? My google fu is borked on a Monday morning.

2. [AFX]Northy

[AFX]Northy Member

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

4. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

And herein lies the problem with salespeople.

Blanket statements like "we can safe you 50% on your bill" are met with laughter.

A couple of times I've had to go through the process, just to satisfy myself that we aren't getting ripped raw.

I've given an example of a months worth of calls/data to some of these guys and asked them to give me their best offer. They keep pushing me just to hand over a bill verbatim.

Each time, they come back with a figure 20-30% over what I was currently forking out.

5. OP
    OP
    onebogan

onebogan Member

Hence trying to get hard figures; its one thing to say "Collaboration techniques can be used to save 70% on travel costs", and its entirely another to provide hard data to back it up.

6. Heywood

Heywood Member

I'm primarily a technical guy and hate to put my sales hat on but purely focusing on delivering a like for like service at a cheaper price is not necessarily a way forward, and just opens the door for churn should you not be the cheapest option down the track.

If your customers are relatively happy with what they have at the moment, you are going to have to overcome the inertia of going to the "unknown" or taking some kind of risk to change. Certainly cost savings are one aspect but I would expect that the associated risk of transitioning to something that is now quite a mature technology but still has a perceived level of risk associated with transitioning to a new service (e.g. call quality, service availability, any outage duration on porting the services to a new provider, potential impact on the internet access? and/or needing an upgrade on the existing internet tail required and potential inter-ISP QoS concerns if you the VoIP provider and ISP don't have a direct relationship, or are you positioning a dedicated leased line for this service for high volume/value clients?)

It sounds like you are on the right path to start building modeling tools to provide some kind of comparison information for your sales force but obviously they are going to be somewhat generic as each customer situation wont be the same, so just BHCA and erlangs aren't going to be all you need to factor in.

Should the customer do enough call volume it's possible the incumbent supplier will negotiate their rates to maintain the customer should they start to make noises about churning, so you should be looking at some kind of value that is not possible with their current supplier and is hopefully unique to your company so it is not just about price...

7. OP
    OP
    onebogan

onebogan Member

Wow, thanks for that. A colleague said something similar, and I'm realising it should be sold as a whole solution, not just matched on price.
    TBH I've just started a new role selling hardware to an ISP with a decent player (not sure what the policy is on stuff like this so I won't mention whom), and they sell VoIP products, as well as the rest of the gear to support the backend and the rest of the network infrastructure.
    I'm putting together a rough guide on selling VoIP, and the pluses it has over analogue phones and having your two systems converged.
    Finished my CCNA and Security this year at TAFE, but I've found I was lacking in voice tech, so I've started reading through the CCNA voice curriculum.

8. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

If you want to talk about cost at all, I'd talk about cost predictability and certainty rather than lower costs. As others have said though, you want to avoid a discussion around 'we can definitely save you money'. If you let your sales people run with a price sell then they will rely on price as their only differentiator against competition. The oldest rule in sales is 'Sell the value, not the price'.