Voltage fluctuating under 100% load.

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by kizbot85, Jun 26, 2017.

1. kizbot85

kizbot85 Member

Hi guys

How can I stabalise my cpu voltage under load?

I am running a 1700 @ 3.845ghz with Asus Prime Pro.

I have been forced to set voltage using offset because there is a glitch with my motherboard which causes multiplier to lock at 15.5 when I set manual voltage to anything over 1.33. I am hoping this will be fixed in next bios. I'm running latest version 0803.

My current settings are 1.285 + 0.85 offset. With this setting, under prime full load, the voltage fluctuates between 1.363 - 1.396 using LLC 1. If I set LLC to auto, voltage can fluctuate from 1.356 to 1.406v. I have tried other levels of LLC and the problem just got worse. I also have turbo boost off. C States is ON (turning off made no difference) and I turned PSS support off.

Anything else I can try??? as I could probably hit 3.9ghz stable at just under 1.4v if I can get stop the voltage spiking.

Thanks in advance!!!

180sxboosting

2. i7Baby

i7Baby Member

"under prime full load, the voltage fluctuates between 1.363 - 1.396 using LLC 1"
    I gather you mean Prime 95. Have you tried other tests? I just use Cinebench.

3. rhodes_96

rhodes_96 Member

What power supply are you running?
    I have found setting LLC to its maximum setting helps to stabilize voltage fluctuations when going for a decent overclock.
    Being a new chipset your Bios could also be working against you as you have explained.

4. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

Hey kizbot85,

I'm by no means an expert on this platform and I don't have any answers that will "fix" your fluctuation, but please allow me to raise some points for consideration:

Is there any reason that using offset is a problem? It should produce the same correct result, just a different way of allowing you to set it.

I'm old school in that I'm not a fan of high LLC due to many instances of over compensation. I'd rather set a voltage for idle that I'm comfortable with for 24/7 use that also settles on a suitable voltage under load factoring in vdroop / vdrop. Given that sentiment, what's wrong with LLC1 that you're using now?

Although not ideal, I'd consider 0.03v fluctuation acceptable as long as the highest figure is within your safe range.

I completely understand the desire to go as high as possible and certainty as high as many others have easily achieved, but honestly, 3845MHz vs 3900MHz will be completely negligible in all situations.

Sorry I don’t have "the answer”, but hopefully that helps mate.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  5. i7Baby

i7Baby Member

I have a Taichi motherboard and also have to use Offset voltages for OC. This is no big deal.

"My current settings are 1.285 + 0.85 offset." - I hope this is not true.