VPS help?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by aussie7, Mar 30, 2013.

1. aussie7

aussie7 Member

I want to learn more about VPS and I'm thinking of signing up for a cheap VPS account

Can anyone point me in the direction of an on line how-to for more info :confused:

TIA :thumbup:

2. goodlet

goodlet Member

why not just virtualise something on your home machine before you go and spend money?

3. Great_Guru

Great_Guru Member

OP please elaborate.

Do you want to learn more about the concept of a VPS and its specific attributes or are you wanting to understand broader concepts such as Servers / Networking etc.

In either case no money required up front.

4. OP
    OP
    aussie7

aussie7 Member

all of the above and how can I do it for free :confused:

bear in mind I'm living on a laptop so can't really run anything from home :(

TIA ;)

5. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Windows 8 has the Hyper-v Role as a windows Feature, you could enable it and have a play

6. Great_Guru

Great_Guru Member

Laptop Specs and OS please?

Free trials available from,

- Microsoft (Azure)
    - Amazon (AWS)

To be honest both of these maybe above your level if you are just starting off as they presume you have no experience with Servers / Networking i.e. the how / why / where etc.

You need to choose a starting point so are you looking at Operating Systems (Windows or Linux) and Networking (Software or Hardware or both)... Environment (SOHO or Enterprise).

The more you narrow your start the easier it will be for you and for us to point you to a starting point (notice I didn't say "right" because whats right will be partially up to where you want to go with this).

7. OP
    OP
    aussie7

aussie7 Member

I'm using Fedora

Thanks I just signed up for linux managed vps and will move all my websites across from my current reseller hosting

8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

VirtualBox is free, should be in your repos (yum install virtualbox), and will allow you to virtualise instances of Linux (doesn't have to be Fedora, can be anything).

9. f3n1x

f3n1x Member

That's fine, just make sure that just ensure that you update regularly (both system packages and web apps (if you're using them).

Also be sure to configure a firewall, and it's probably a good idea if you have the memory available to install and configure an intrusion detection system.

This stuff is now your responsibility.

10. KriiV

KriiV Member

Yeah virtual box is great for beginners. It's how i got started. :thumbup:

11. kripz

kripz Member

If you purchase something, all you will see is a web page with like 3 buttons (reboot, shutdown, start) to control the vm. You'll then have to rdp or ssh (depending on which OS you select initially) into the server and then set up everything like a web server, mail server etc etc.

As others have said, download virtual box and install a server OS on there, either linux or MS. after that, learn how to configure and secure the server because that's what you'll have to do on your VPS.

Then again, lowendbox.com (iirc) starts from like $2USD/month for a basic machine.

12. Wako

Wako Member

Then

What do you actually want to do??

Lowendbox has plenty of cheap VPS's though if they are not in Australia I hesitate to recommend them for learning due to the latency.
    That being said you may be more comfortable playing with a box that you do not care about and can blow away at any time, than running virtualised machines locally on your machine.
    Servers Australia have some cheap VPS's (read ~20AUD, not 2.50AUD). By the way I have both, a 2.50 VPS in america and one locally in Sydney.

I found this stuff handy when I first was playing around:
    http://articles.slicehost.com/sitemap

If you are a student or part of a Uni you may be able to get access to NeCTAR where you can get free (kinda) VPS's.

13. OP
    OP
    aussie7

aussie7 Member

I just want to host some websites and I will look into the NeCTAR thanks ;)

14. Kataton1c

Kataton1c Member

15. aokman

aokman Member

I would just use a cheap Linode VPS $20 a month for their base package with your flavour of OS. Has nice web administration :)

16. OP
    OP
    aussie7

aussie7 Member

thanks I signed up for a managed vps

17. oli

oli Member

But $20 isn't cheap and they aren't in Australia. ;-)

If it's "managed" in the true sense then those things aren't totally his responsibility. That said he should probably treat them as if they were to be on the safe side. :)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  18. aokman

aokman Member

$20 aint cheap for a VPS?

Plan Monthly Storage Transfer
    Linode 512 $19.95 24GB 2TB

I have not seen anything in Australia that compares. They aren't managed either, you have full root access.

19. oli

oli Member

No, $20 isn't cheap for a VPS. You can get a dedicated server for that much. A VPS under $10 a month is cheap and under $5 a month is very cheap. :)

Look at the lowendbox.com site referred to earlier. For what you get Linode isn't anything special value or performance wise. Linode is just popular because of their scale and because of their good control panel. There are plenty of people who've had terrible experiences with Linode as well. If you get DDOS'd for example don't expect Linode to do anything for you aside from null-routing your IP for 24 hours.

Tokyo aside, depending on your requirements there are superior VPS offers available in all of the locations or very close to where Linode also offers their products.

FWIW I think there's some confusion here about what "managed" means. IMO managed doesn't mean you do not have root access. Managed means you generally pay a lot more and have a service where the provider also takes some responsibility for your VPS - you still have root access but the provider assists with software updates and security stuff (basically to keep them out of trouble in case people unfamiliar with Linux inadvertently leave things configured in a insecure way).

Regarding offers in Australia you won't find anything with the same huge bandwidth capacities available elsewhere now anywhere downunder but as far as RAM/disk space allowance and other performance options goes there are some pretty good offers available in Australia as well. If you don't need the huge data allowances then having something local makes a massive difference for performance/latency.

All that said Linode have recently or are in the process of some pretty big hardware upgrades which will bring them back up to the same level as where many other providers are now. For a long time they wer really lacking with disk allowances and with raw CPU power of their nodes...

Disclaimer: I own one of the few Aussie businesses featured on lowendbox.com and probably would have offered something here but I am waiting on new node to go in before I run any more special offers. :)

20. aokman

aokman Member

LOL dedicated server for under $20 in Australia?, what is it a Raspberry Pi LOL...

Despite Linode being a VPS, their hardware is top notch and provisioning is very good along with SLA/uptime, I have run a few game servers from their Tokyo datacenter. Cheapest is not always best, I am just hoping they open a Australian datacenter in the future.