vSphere 5 Announced

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Simwah, Jul 13, 2011.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

From here on out, I shall refer to "The Cloud" as "Mainframes in Space!" (complete with long echo).

2. bards1888

bards1888 Member

Free ESXi 5 only allows 8GB RAM per *HOST*

As per subject;

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

3. The_Derro

The_Derro Member

God this makes me glad I don't deal with licensing!!

This could be a very spectatular own goal for VMware, especially if MS can get their act together with the next Hyper-V release..

4. aussierob

aussierob Member

It's a bastardly cash grab! The only reason vmware is getting a good run at my work is the way it gets so much more out of the hardware than standalone servers (chiefly through memory sharing) for a reasonable price.
    We're going to be staying on 4.1 for a looooong time

5. sponks

sponks Member

I was under the impression the amount of vRAM required is not based on how much RAM is installed in the hosts, but how much is being allocated to VMs.

6. bards1888

bards1888 Member

Correct. But who buys loads of RAM and doesn't use it ?

7. Schnooper

Schnooper Member

I think for a lot of VMware customers it isn’t going to present a massive issue.

The customers that are going to get hit hard are the big scale up shops, 4 proc hosts with 512GB. If they are allocation pretty much all the memory from the host (and then some) on enterprise plus (which they would be running) that could mean around 10-12 licenses per hosts :shock:

However the guys that run scale out, for example 2 proc 96GB would not change the licensing cost at all. Again enterprise plus.

Not sure about the small deployments, what kinda host config are you guys using out there?

Of course its going to really depend on how the vRAM allocation is done. I think that we will find some more sensible decision on the amount of RAM allocated to VMs, and admins thinking more about what is allocated per VM and what it actually needs. Not based on a company standard. Kinda reminds me of the allocation of vCPU debate :D Assign what is needed, not 4 vCPU as default, cause the app guys says it needs a quad core cpu.

8. newgen

newgen Member

9. elvis

I'm sure Citrix and Red Hat are both loving it too.

10. Nikoy

Nikoy Member

I currently have 3 vmware hosts on 4.0 which are 64GB ram 2 proc running enterprise plus.

I have sitting here for deployment latter this year replacement boxes running 2 proc and 128 gb of ram i feel that we are going to get fucked if we now want to put vsphere 5 on it.

11. Schnooper

Schnooper Member

I dont think that you will get fucked by the new licensing. You are replacing the old servers with new, you are only going to have 2 hosts. Both of those boxes have 128GB of RAM. So to allow for failover with HA, you shouldnt be running those boxes above about 60% RAM usage (N+1). So per host, you should be at around 76GB of allocated RAM. This will be below the 96GB (2x48GB per enterprise plus license) per host. So the licensing should be the same, 4 proc of enterprise plus. In theory, you should be able to run upto around 75% of the memory allocation of those server before having a license issue. And thats assuming that allocated vRAM is 1:1 with host RAM.

12. Nikoy

Nikoy Member

Good point.

Ram is allocated as 1:1 performance is more important than price.

13. elvis

Got a funny email from a mate of mine working for a very large media org. They're baulking at the new licensing regime, and this quote is making it's way around internally:
    It's certainly a hot topic right now. I've never seen this sort of reaction to new licensing before this close to a new product announcement!

14. scrantic

scrantic Member

While that may be the case don't all run N+1.

15. Schnooper

Schnooper Member

Thats very true. However, I think that the percentage of shops that dont run in N+1 would be very small.

In some configs, like scale up with lots of memory are going to be most effected. And there pain is going to be huge.

16. Schnooper

Schnooper Member

The other thing is guys, that the allocated vRAM is pooled across all licensed hosts, and not per host.

Taken from http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vsphere_pricing.pdf

That may help, or maybe hinder the license model for some customers. And just goes to show that correct vRAM allocation is critical for VMs.

17. j3ll0

j3ll0 Member

That's a'cos you hasn't been properly educated yet.

:thumbup:

18. elvis

Ah, I see. Clearly I'm too stupid, and VMWare needs to teach me how to be a better customer.

It's all so clear now. :lol:

19. Chemix

Chemix Member

This is a load of cock, we got a lot of farms and the N+1 only incrementaly makes it less exhoribitant. With memory ballooning and vmware figuring out that hosts aren't typically cpu intensive (they changed the licensing model as a knee jerk reaction when cpus started getting more cores on them) and memory is where it is at and they can make more money by charging by vRAM.

Edit: I wouldnt be so annoyed if you got alot more vRAM per license.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  20. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

VMware licensing is one thing. What Microsoft and other vendors choose to do with application / OS licensing is another all together