[WIN7] W7 Service Pack 1 = 1.2GB

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by foxmulder881, Jul 17, 2010.

Tags:
  1. foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

One has to wonder what the hell is going on in the background of Windows 7's source code to warrant a service pack that weighs in at a hefty 1.2GB. And I suspect Microsoft are not letting on how bad it really is. Although it doesn't take a genius to work it out.

Anyway, the beta is available for Technet users.

Reference:
    http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/219931,windows-7-service-pack-1-enters-beta-is-12gb.aspx

Technet download page:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/evalcenter/ff183870.aspx

2. Bullseye81

Bullseye81 Member

Well it is a SP for both the client and server versions of Win7 code. It also includes both 32 & 64bit builds for Windows 7. I'd be surprised if that remains the case for final builds

3. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

thats almost half of the OS that they are replacing/repairing. thats all kinds of bad in anyones books.

4. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

[insert generic comment about Windows being bloated and unreliable, Linux is so much more secure blah blah blah]

5. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

Don't worry about that too much, because that's not the way it works in programming.

Here's an example. Let's say I have a header file that defines the following enumeration (think of it like a collection of values that are valid):

Code:
    enum carColours
      {
      red;           // Set to zero
      green;         // Set to red + 1 = 1
      blue;          // Set to green + 1 = 2
      MAX_COLOURS;   // Set to blue + 1 = 3 = number of colours available
      }
    Now add yellow:

Code:
    enum carColours
      {
      red;           // Set to zero
      green;         // Set to red + 1 = 1
      blue;          // Set to green + 1 = 2
      yellow;        // Set to blue + 1 = 3
      MAX_COLOURS;   // Set to yellow + 1 = 4 = number of colours available
      }
    That's a pretty small header file change right? Well every file that uses the carColours enum or includes that header file has to be recompiled and redistributed, even if that file doesn't need to know about yellow.

So a tiny change like that above can cause 10%, 25%, 50% of files to be re-versioned, rebuilt and redistributed. Same applies to changing a library - you change a library function, its dependencies need to be rebuilt and shipped.

So I'm never surprised that a service pack is half the size of the base OS. That's just a collection of potentially tiny changes - and the more basic the changes the more likely it is that a service pack will be huge.

6. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

Correct:

"In order to download and install the Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Beta you must currently have a Release to Manufacturing (RTM) version of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 already installed."

Effiectively four service packs in one.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  7. OP
    OP
    foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

I see what you're saying and all, but it doesn't change the fact that the user still has to download a file worth 1.2GB.

8. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

Only for beta, I expect. You'll probably find it gets split to a 500MB pack for x86 and a 700MB pack for x64/server (there are actually new features in server, RemoteFX for example, Hyper-V dynamic memory, ...).

Server is x64 only which is why I expect it to be much bigger than x86.

9. Matt_NZ

Matt_NZ Member

Does it really matter? :|

10. OP
    OP
    foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

Ah Daniel Son, you just don't understand... in time my boy... in time...

11. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

1.2GB isn't really all that big these days. If you compared xp sp3 and 7 sp1 beta they are about the same same compared to their relative os install.

I assume it weighs in more than the previous microsoft os service packs due to the fact that it covers windows 7 and server 2008 R2, also the fact that its beta.

12. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

Yeah you're right - it shouldn't matter. Heck, I remember being surprised about how big an NT 3.51 service pack was - 7 x 3.5" floppies.

So even the (IIRC) 20MB Service Pack 1 for NT 4 was huge by that standard ...

13. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

thats if microsoft is adding features. chances are its to fix issues that have been identified that could either be exploited/have been exploited. so i still stand that 1.2GB or whatever it is per win 7 version.

14. FLB

FLB Member

You don't have to, You can get it thru windows update at a reduced size.

1.2GB is if you want the unified pack.

For example if you opt for the Windows Update x64 version method it is 527meg max download.

[​IMG]

If you have multiple machines and also of different flavours the 1.2gb iso would be the best option.

15. OP
    OP
    foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

Fair enough. I see. :D

16. prezident doom

prezident doom Member

No it does not. The only thing that matters is how SP1 will improve things.

17. Archy

Archy New Member

This. If you want to be able to update multiple machines, which would be handy for businesses, system builders and large households.

I'm getting sick of 300MB of updates for every machine that goes out the door. This means you can dump the file on a local server and update anything from there.

Simple, really. If downloading as many single packs as you need will push you over a gig, then just download the full pack.

This also means a lot of businesses are going to start picking up Windows 7.

18. FLB

FLB Member

Well apart from a roll up of all the hotfixes for Win 7, the service pack adds these new changes also -

19. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Then look into setting up a WSUS server.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/wsus/default.aspx

It's designed for corporations/businesses, but it can be easily adapted for system builders as well with a bit of know how. Doing updates over the network beats downloading them every time. No download quota usage (except for the intial download) plus it's faster.

20. Archy

Archy New Member

Hmmm... that looks really good, I'll look into it. Is the "know how" required on the server or client side? Because there's no real benefit setting up needs to be done on the new builds.