1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

WAFL footy pics

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by WestCoast, May 13, 2005.

1. WestCoast

WestCoast Member

2. Jonchilds

Jonchilds Member

The first one's excellent. Everyone's in the frame completely, all focused intently on the ball, and ready to pounce.

I didnt find any of the others particularly special, but I do know how hard it can be to get a good photo as I occasionally do a bit for the Midland Rugby Club (WA) when I've got some spare time around work, study and the car.

3. reverb

reverb Member

All are decent shots... you're not really going to get 'special' photos from a football match Jonchilds, except maybe in the unlikely event that someone takes a hang, but that's about it.

Nice work... what lens was used?

4. Jonchilds

Jonchilds Member

You can get 'special' photos from any ball game, its just a matter of getting the right framing and composition. Its incredibly difficult though.

The keeper rate at events like the US Superbowl is something like 1 in 1000+, so thats a good example of how hard the special shots are to get.

5. OP
    OP
    WestCoast

WestCoast Member

Thanks reverb! Yeah, a lot of the shots I took that day were a bit "ordinary" in terms of action content since it was a fairly normal game of footy. What we need is more fights, collisions and mass rumbles! :D

Most shots were taken with my 70-200f4. Also experimented with my older 75-300 which also worked quite well, but it wasn't as contrasty as the 70-200 in quite a few cases. The extra 100mm I got was invaluable though. I think a 100-400 zoom would be great for footy, but you'd probably want a 500 or even 600 to get good close-up action from the other end.

There were quite a few photographers there with some serious lenses - wonder if they saw me drooling... :)

6. OP
    OP
    WestCoast

WestCoast Member

It's also a bit of luck I think - being in the right spot (i.e. at the right end of the field) when something interesting is going on!

Will keep trying! :)

7. Dinuc

Dinuc Member

And really interesting workflow

Great shots.

Dna

8. markius

markius Member

who won by the way?

9. TaO!

TaO! Member

HAH! Third from the left in the top picture is my lab partner at uni...

Last edited: May 18, 2005
  10. OP
    OP
    WestCoast

WestCoast Member

Sweet! Giant-sized prints (perfect for a lab, for example) are available at very reasonable prices!!! :leet:

11. TaO!

TaO! Member

Any chance I can get the full sized digital images assuming you still have them?

12. martinus

martinus Imperator Augustus

Excellent stuff.