Walgett Night Sky

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by Ahriman, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Ahriman

Ahriman Member

So I was out at Walgett the past week for work and had finally remembered to take my camera with me. I took a quick trip down a highway and set up next to the road.
    Using a Nikon D3100 with an 18-55mm lens, ISO 12800, f3.5 and 10-20 second exposures. I had originally planned to do a major time-lapse session and create a movie of the stars rotating around the sky, but I hadn't anticipated the amount of traffic out that way. I ended up settling for individual shots like below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All shots had the white balance adjusted in Lightroom afterwards. I didn't do any noise reduction because I didn't like how cloudy it made the Milky Way - you couldn't tell they were stars and I like the realization that the smear in the sky is just a bunch of stars =)

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Lovely pictures. Really really shows how dense it is out there, just blows the mind.

Might want to get rid of the electricity poles in two of the pics though.

3. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Massive ISO. I guess the noise doesn't detract too much when there are so many stars!

Love it!

4. Shane T W

Shane T W Member

No matter how many photos I see of the stars I never get tired of seeing them. If only the light pollution wasn't bad in my area.

5. g@z

g@z Member

Lovely photos. Power poles bring you back to earth though ;)

Regards,
    g@z.

6. pirateRob

pirateRob Member

There are some awesome shots there.

Makes me encouraged to dig out battery charger to get my Nikon going now I've moved to Cobar. Sky is so clear out here. Much better than Sydney.

One tip for you, with the high ISO setting, you have a bit of noise there. you can try taking multiple shots and stacking them with apps like DeepSkyStacker, which will improve photos enormously.

As they are they are pretty good. So who knows what you might get :D