Walk around the Marina - Then my car

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by TheBear21, Jan 14, 2013.

1. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Only new to photography having got my first DSLR just after Xmas. Still learning what I am doing. Had my first chance to kinda go out and just take some photos of my area. Nothing really spectacular, but I am learning. I think I had the focus setting set wrong as I had some issues getting focus on what I wanted. Especially in this first one.

Click to embiggen...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I kinda ran out of things to shoot so took some pics of my car...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shot with Pentax K-30 with kit 18-55mm lens. Got a Sigma 10-20mm on the way and can't wait.

2. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Member

im liking the b&w one of your car :) has a 'motor journal' feel about it :thumbup:

3. OP
    OP
    TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Thanks. I didn't actually stop to take a photo of the car there. I was getting pics of the industry mess that this place looks over. As I walked back I thought I would get a couple shots and yeah, this is one of my favourite out of them too.

Wish I had got to the last location with the building about half an hour earlier and wouldn't have the shadow there.

And I just noticed the 2nd pic the horizon is not level, so I just fixed that up in lightroom (but not reposting pic).

4. cleary

cleary Mental in the Face

I don't mind the car shots either -
    Are you interested in any critique/tips?

5. OP
    OP
    TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Please... I really got no idea what I am doing. The only way to learn.

6. cleary

The major issue that stands out for me in a few of these shots is your exposure.
    The car + building shots are the worst offenders, and the second marina shot has the same issue.

Your camera has a light meter, and it uses this light meter to calculate the settings it needs to expose the photo as correctly as it can.
    However, there are usually a variety of ways to make this calculation, including:
    * spot - the meter exposes for the specific af point you are using
    * partial - the af point and a small area surrounding it
    * evaluative - averaging the light across the whole frame

I am going to guess that your camera is set to evaluative, based on the way those previously mentioned shots were exposed.
    For the car shots, the car is the subject, the car needs to be exposed properly, but it came out dark. Switch your metering mode to spot or partial, focus on the car, take the shot, and the car should then be exposed properly.

For the marina shot, set it to spot or partial again, put your af point on the foreground boats, and shoot. They should then be exposed correctly.

The effect that this will have on the already correctly exposed areas of your frame (the left side of the building, the sky above the marina) is that they will become overexposed. But better that the non-subject areas of your picture are overexposed, than the subject of the photo being underexposed.

Hope that helps you get started. Metering/exposure is pretty much the core concept you need to understand as a photographer.

7. OP
    OP
    TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Correct.... I was wondering what that did. Just how it was set when I got it and not got around to either looking up what it does or playing to find out. But your help was probably better than reading about it and much better than me playing with that.

Also had the same issue on the focus setting. Was not getting focus on exactly what I wanted. Changed that to spot so now I can make sure what I want focused will be.

Thanks for this feedback.

8. OP
    OP
    TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

I guess post processing properly helps you fix exposure evils somewhat too. This of course is new to me too. But here is my attempt to fix the problem. Of course shooting the picture properly in the first instance would be better still.

[​IMG]
    20130113-IMGP0417.jpg by dcBear78, on Flickr

9. cleary

You're correct - and there's a bit more to know. When you shoot in JPG, the picture is heavily compressed and you lose any residual detail in the shadows or highlights of your shot.
    Shooting RAW does preserve these details, and means you can recover from over or under exposure without any loss of detail (within certain tolerances). It is highly recommend to shoot raw.

10. OP
    OP
    TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

I got a new Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 lens last week and we had a little bit of rain since then. So I thought I would head out to the same place and see what I can do with this new lens and the little bit I have learnt since then.

[​IMG]
    Marina Cat by dcBear78, on Flickr

This new lens seems to pick out the blues in the sky really well.
    [​IMG]
    Marina Boats by dcBear78, on Flickr

And then figuring there isn't too many pretty things to photograph in this town, but plenty of industry so thought I would make use of the sunset.

[​IMG]
    Power Station by dcBear78, on Flickr