Wall socket for phone cable. Where does white and green go?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by U238-Shell, Jul 3, 2010.

1. U238-Shell

U238-Shell Member

I'm moving my router and I couldn't find any longer phone cables. I spotted a wall phone socket that was a lot closer so I decided to plug the filter and router into that. It didn't work so I pulled it off the wall and found only 2 wires were connected, black and red. White and green weren't connected.

It looks a bit like this;

[​IMG]

So where do I put the white and green wires?

I've read the sticky on cabling but I don't really want to call in someone to push 2 wires into a self crimping connecter. Thanks! :)

2. gords

gords Oh deer!

I might be mistaken, but I think it's their knowledge and experience that you're paying for, not their ability to connect wires. That, and their insurance which covers them if they damage equipment by mucking something up. :)

3. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

you're assuming that they even need to be connected at all.

did it occur to you that the wall plate might not be an extension point, but an entirely different phone line coming into the house?

or maybe even that the end you're looking at is wired correctly, but the other end isn't?

these are the sorts of things that a professional can easily determine.

4. Psychotik

Psychotik Member

You are not licensed to be taking that plate off the wall and touching those wires and as such what you are doing is illegal. Please call a CT to do this for you.

5. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

I sometimes question the need for the strict rules on cabling etc and that only people that ether have some experience or know how to look up the correct placements would actually do there own cabling.

But i see in this situation regulation is a good idea.

For the OP, there is probably nothing wrong with that wall socket, phone lines only use 2 wires (a pair) just most cable has 4 wires in case a 2nd line is required.

Unless you know how your house is wired up call in a cabler and ask him to trace it out, it may be able to use it.

6. Pugs

Pugs Member

Not self crimping.. they are an IDC..... and even asking a cabler to come by to fix it for you would only cost <$80

7. Gecko

Gecko Member

Do you get a dial tone if you plug a phone into that socket? Dial 12722123 (I think it is...) which will read back the phone number of that line, check it matches with your DSL line.

If not, assuming you are licensed to do this, you could try swapping the black/red for the green/white pair (ie remove black/red and replace with green/white).

This assumes though that the other end of the cable actually goes somewhere - in my old place we had a heap of sockets where the other ends of the cables went nowhere (dodgy rennovations done before we bought the place, looks like they just cut the cables when they knocked out walls etc)

8. R4+Z

R4+Z Member

It's a dodgy socket as a correctly wired one doesn't use this colour code for the wiring! Old code is White, blue (the ones usually used) and red, black for the second pair. Occeaionally three pair cable was used and in that the third pair was orange green. Modern cable is the normal cat 5 colour code of Blue/white, White/blue. Orange/white, White/orange and so on for the green and brown pairs.

The colour code of the cable you describe is what I would expect in a line cord / extension cable made of flexible cord!

9. caspian

caspian Member

the mere fact you need to ask demonstrates immediately you're not licenced to be touching it.

10. maddhatter

maddhatter Member

If it isn't working; it's likely you won't be able to fix it anyhow.

Telephone signals operate over two wires; the remaining disconnected pair (green and white) are either active and part of another line, or disconnected entirely / not terminated (most likely).

The socket was probably part of a separate line/number which has been disconnected.

11. seb

seb Member

I would just like to join in this thread by criticising your diagram. Apart from that I think you need to become better informed before you post such novice questions - you were just begging to be dumped on. Which the kindly OCAU community obliged you with. Also, what you wish to do is illegal for just the reasons you have illuminated for us.

12. R4+Z

R4+Z Member

Wow

Some heavy posts!

Maybe time for some corrections!

If it's flexible cable, it may not be covered under ACMA regs!

Talk about assumptions! We have no idea what this socket is for or associated with but you seem to know so much! Even how qualified the poster is just by what he/she asks!

Most gobsmacking of all!

The OP has managed to convey his problem with a picture, something most wouldn't and all that you can do is criticise the quality of his attempt!

As for a novice attempt begging to be dumped on, all that really says is about you! As for illegal, if the socket he is working on is actually the end of an extension cord, then no it isn't illegal so get off the high horse!

13. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Member

I agree that there's been too many assumptions, but one thing is clear. The OP has clearly stated that it's a "wall phone socket" that he's inspecting. As such, it's a fixed/concealed cable capable of connecting to a carrier network - meaning irrespective of cable type used, ACMA regs do apply.

Looks to me like it's the back end of a Krone style wall jack - maybe the OP can confirm:

[​IMG]

The colour coding sounds whack though (as R4+Z said). Could be that the green is a faded blue, the white is a faded yellow or that the cable is non-compliant.

Irrespective of that, there's still no guarantee that the original cabler wired it properly. Might be worth inspecting other wall jacks to see how they've been wired before getting a multimeter on it. Also as Gecko asked - is there a dial tone if you plug a phone into that socket? Also a note to the OP - getting a registered cabler to fix it is likely to cost less than the punch-down tool required for those terminations.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2010
  14. maddhatter

maddhatter Member

Lets break this down.

Based upon my years in the industry, the description and the shitty picture provided by the OP - I can assume the termination is an RJ45 style of some description. Which the OP is clearly not licensed to touch. Also, what if the OP is actually mistaken and had somehow pulled a GPO/electrical fitting out thinking it was telephone related? Red black green... could be electrical?!

If they have to ask, they ain't qualified. Simple as that.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  15. caspian

caspian Member

does this bit give you a hint regarding the legality of the subject?