want to get more fish

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Liighthead, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Liighthead

Liighthead New Member

hey ive had 4 goldfish for a fair while now and wanting to get some more.. something elese ( we also have more goldfish in the pound =D )

but im in victoria.. was wondering where i can find what fish are legal to have ect?

also was thinking... a fresh water tank..
    i would love to have a nice Murray cod floating around in a nice big tank :)
    also a smaller tank ( sepperate? ) with some yabbies ( maybe get them to breed? )

but where can i find out the laws ect for keeping fish/yabbies in victoria..
    going down to pet shop 2morro ( if its open ) to speak to them.

but yeah :) is it legal to keep a murray cod. golden pearch or yabbies?

also what do you need to have a turtle? anything? :) their pretty cool
    not sure what to choose haha..

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  2. evesdropping

evesdropping Member

You can buy cod and perch from good aquariums. You don't need a license, but you would want a decent sized tank, at least a 4' but bigger would be better.

If there are plenty of hiding spots you could have the yabbies with those fish.

You need a license to have a turtle. In nsw it costs about $60 per year. You can keep them in a tank, but it seems a bit slack (unless it's a massive tank). They also make a lot of mess, so need a lot more filter power than fish. I keep my Turtle in a pond so he can get out and walk around if he wants.

Try www.livefish.com.au if you can't find native fish at any of your local stores

3. OP
    OP
    Liighthead

Liighthead New Member

ahk thanks :D
    but yeah would really like a nice big tank with cod/pearch :)
    how big? not sure guess have to see whats around haha.

just looking around that site.. and as i guessed cod are predator to alot.. and will eat what ever fits in its mouth xD
    one guy's tally of his cod
    "15 guppies so far, 2 yabbies and a frog and counting."
    guess thats one way to feed them :p breed guppies/yabbies

looks like time to save for a decent tank :) and get some cod/pearch/yabbies

thank you again sir.

4. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

you would want a tank far larger than 4 foot for a fish that can easily grow over 3 feet long. a pond would be a far more suitable home.