1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Wanted: Access DB built & Will pay

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by walker_2003, Apr 3, 2014.

1. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

I have worked with access for years and as have my colleagues, maybe 1 or 2 died that I know of, quite basic db really shouldnt be an issue..

Its a second job for me sometimes only clear $100 a week however sometimes $500, def not paying $30 a month though, got someone making me a db as I am to lazy and not the best with forms.

2. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Your willing to pay for software to be developed, pobably cost you 1000-1500+ but you unwilling to pay $29/month for software that is tried and tested and proven to work! Just in case your maths isn't too good that's between 30-50 months of use for software that will comply with ATO and unlike custom software gets updated each year for no additional cost other then the monthly charge.

I do not understand your logic.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  3. Primüs

Primüs Member

I'll quote $2500 for the specified job, $1500 if your willing for it to be SQL with web form frontend.

Msg if your interested.

4. Sopkat

Sopkat Member

Do it yourself, I'll support you

Hey Walker

Creating any sort of accounting package is a big task, complex to design and requires allot of investigation around the associated laws and table data provided by the applicable Department/Agency and generally I would recommend avoiding allot of time and heartache by paying for a good package. I have used Quickbooks and MYOB at a business level and found them annoying in the way they drop support and force you onto the new version all the time. I'm using Xero at the moment and generally(all software has faults) like it, but I feel your pain with the onging regular monthly payments. (My current cost is $70 a month.)

To me common sense says pay $30 a month and save the heartache but I'm sensing you want a little project for yourself. If it's about the fun of doing it yourself then why not have a crack. But I say again, if it's about cost/time effectiveness pay the monthly fee or search for some freeware on line.

If you enjoy dabbling with Access, you don't want the app to do too much and want to set yourself a challenge I think you should have a crack yourself. However, Accountancy is a complex subject. I have written software in this area with Access back and front, Access/SQL Server and VB/SQL Server combinations. If you're only talking $400 to $2000 a month (turnover) why overcomplicate everything adding cost. I recommend doing it in Access Back and Front. In fact I wouldn't even split the database I would just back it up regularly. I know this is not best practice but we are talking being practical given the amount of money you turn over.

There have always been plenty of naysayers with Access and I can't even argue against some of their points but to me Access is a great simple tool that can do so many things, if you use the right version, know how to use it and use it where and the way it was intended. Knowing how to prevent and overcome its annoying glitches helps too.

If a solution is going to cost you a couple of grand that would appear to be a high proportion of any profit you end up with. If you really are lazy, I take it all back, pay for something monthly. If not have a crack yourself and I think Access is the perfect choice given the turnover you said and the fact that you will be able to modify things yourself ongoing. I don't want to do the whole task but if you decide to give it a crack I can give you a hand if you get stuck. If you just want me to help you when you get stuck I won't charge you anything. PM me

Good luck whichever way you go
    Louis

5. Munity

Munity Member

I'd quote 1500 for web/sql too!

6. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

The db I have asked for could be knocked over in 2 hrs by somebody with the right access skills, I could be looking at $100 or so if done by a casual person, yes more through a business.

Thanks for the info, If the person I am talking with either doesnt do it or over quotes, I will do it myself. Just tricky balancing full time work, newborn baby, spending time with puppy, and this second job to find time to work on it. But I may still consider spending the $30 a month on some proper software to have alot of hassle.

7. Primüs

Primüs Member

Got the DB to design/implement, the forms to design/implement, on-going support, depending on the data complexity have certain amount of testing and quality assurance to complete, error handling etc. Sounds like your looking for a 'whip up' job, recipe for disaster.

8. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Aka. Every access database ever

9. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

so much hate for access here lol

I know access and the forms are very basic, cant see much go wrong and not end of world if it does really.

10. Taceo Corpus

Taceo Corpus Member

It's more that there are plenty of better, cheaper (in terms of TCO) options out there. It's like going for an old rusty Hyundai with 180,000km on the clock when there's a brand new Porsche available for the same price.

11. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

such as?

and my version of access came out in 2013 :thumbup:

12. antipody

antipody Member

http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpbms/

I used this for my business for years and it was great.

And free! :thumbup:

13. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

14. antipody

antipody Member

A web server with PHP and MySQL.

You can run one yourself or pay for it.

I'd definitely recommend the latter so you don't have to worry about the constant security updates, maintaining and running the bloody thing. Can get some deals around $100-$200/yr. Even less if you shop around.

Then just follow the instructions to install it. You don't need to know PHP, but if you're willing to learn the basics, it's quite customisable.

Much better than Access. You have remote access from any platform you want.

15. Digit

Digit Member

I've got a mate who did this exact this for the place i work at but in Filemaker, so far it's been working great, i can get you his details if you like.

If you want something similar to what he's already made for us and it doesn't require too much fluffing about with customisations, then it might be fairly cheap.

anywayz, i'll pm you details (not sure if i can list his site up on here hey).

16. Taceo Corpus

Taceo Corpus Member

The fact that Microsoft keeps releasing Access doesn't mean it's a decent platform for accounting software. You're using a shoe to hammer a nail here.

For $0:

https://www.waveapps.com/accounting/
    http://www.manager.io/

For $$:

Xero - TCO will still probably be smaller than the Access DB.

17. Brentnal

Brentnal Member

This.

10 char.

18. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

thanks that waveapps looks awesome and its free! and its not access so its OCAU approved!

19. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

4k and i'll get Primus and Munity to do it together in SQL.

+~33% contracting fee :)

20. PacketStorm4

PacketStorm4 Member