War Thunder

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by Frenchpom, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Pollywaffle

Pollywaffle Member

This game in fantastic and very well made for a free to play game. I can't believe how much fun I'm having with it and I'm only at level 4! I bought Crysis 3 the other day and have zero desire to play it while I'm hooked on this :lol:

2. WRC

WRC Member

When you're in cockpit view is there some way to lock your head so it doesn't move from looking straight out over the prop as you turn? Finding it quite hard to control the planes with mouse keyboard. Might have to get a joystick.

3. SenorGrande

SenorGrande Member

Is everyone using joysticks and rudder pedals with this game? Its maddeningly difficult and for some reason I keep trying to play it. I am sticking to this game longer than I did with world of tanks (which to me seems clunky and poorly finished compared to War Thunder). I think I really need some decent rudder pedals. Using the keyboard for rudder is shit. I wonder if I can use my RC-plane trainer controller for this game. haha.

Also, I finally got myself a Hurricane mk1 only to be sorely disappointed that it isn't much better than the furys and other starter planes. The only real improvement in combat is that it has better armaments. Its not that fast and its not as maneuverable as the bi-planes.

Anyway, last night I had some good matches but better still was watching the remaining game in spectate after I ran out of planes. Saw some fucking funny 'accidents' where three enemy planes were taken out when one fool decided to attack one of ours head-on... except there were two other enemies already following it. Dude managed to crash head-on into two of his own teammates. Our guy got away scot-free. I bet there was some abuse :lol:

4. OP
    OP
    Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

The hurri Mk1 isn't that bad. Fairly manoeuvrable with half decent armament. It is a bit slow though. Still, a great dogfighter. The Hurri Mk2 is a great little plane that packs a punch. Just got a Beaufighter last night. Jesus, those 4 cannons chew anything up in seconds. Rule No. 1, never go head to head with a Beaufighter! The number of idiots who tried it in Level 1 - 3 planes...

Me and my brother both role Beaufighters now, stay together at high altitude, nail any bombers that we come across and swoop down on unsuspecting fighters at lower levels. Works very well. Having a lot of fun with this game!

5. SenorGrande

SenorGrande Member

Well I now have several more planes... I lamed out and bought some of the 'gold' so and had a stack of leftover xp so I bought some planes. I now have a Hellcat mk1 and a hurricane mk2 and a spitfire mk1. The hurricane mk2 is waaay better, 12 machine guns really does some damage but the Hellcat is the fastest of them all. Actually one of the fastest planes available to the brits.

I also went and played some of the coop and single-player missions - its a load of fun and the AI isn't too bad either and is fairly competent at flying. Fighter-vs-fighter coop or ground attack coop is a lot of fun but bomber intercept coop is bullshit. Last mission I played there was about 2 dozen bombers and maybe a dozen fighters against four of us. There was no chance we'd win :(. Fucking he112b... :upset: The mission before that was an attack on port moresby and our team was the Japanese. Was pretty cool all four of us human players got in there, attacked some targets and chased off the P40 then we flew back to our base in formation. The japanese bi-planes aren't too good and I gave up air to air combat and focused on taking out the ground targets.

6. Pollywaffle

Pollywaffle Member

I really wish you got more XP for taking out ground targets! It's so frustrating taking out about 10AA guns, only to have someone who's taken out one or two planes get way more XP than you.

7. r8response

r8response Member

AA aren't really worth much. When you start taking out tanks, that's when you see the XP.

8. mobius.ro

mobius.ro Member

That why i always run my Beaufighter first :). The amount of nubs that come head on to you at the start is :leet:

I think in one game i got 3 kills within 30 secs and a total of 15 in one round with just the Beaufighter.

Climb high then dive down :thumbup:

9. OP
    OP
    Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

Yep, start with Beau, climb high, initiate carnage with cannons. Out of most planes in WT, the Beaufighter is still the one that gets me worried when I see one closing with me... Still, get on ones tail, and they're toast. The Beau has to stay fast and high, or it's screwed.

Just got lvl 6 with the Brit's, loving the Spit Mk2 with the 2 Hispano cannons and 4 MG's. Does quite a lot of damage and can turn with the best of them. Only problem is it rolls really slow which can be a pain. Russian planes piss me off, I reckon they're over powered. My brother roles with them, he reckons the same.

10. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

lol Russian game, Russian bias.

11. r8response

r8response Member

Yep, nothing at all to do with the fact that Russian planes haven't had the flight model updated inline with the other nations..... Nope, not at all :rolleyes:

12. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

I think a lot of the complaints are the russian reserve planes having more firepower in general, then the mid tiers get terrible then high end are OP.

So what you're saying is, they left the flight model on the Russian planes until last even though it would cause them to be unfairly advantaged? Sounds like bias to me :lol:

I only made the comment because I was just looking through the forum and it's all the same stuff as WoT/WoWP etc repeated over and over.

13. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

Played first game as russian, had been all British until then.

Went from mid table, struggling to do enough damage to aircraft to top of the table 6 ground 7 air only one loss from a friendly ram.

Compared to the other nations starter planes the Russians are beasts.

14. andymate

andymate Member

And this is the reason i won't be playing this game... Russian planes were not very good in WW2. Does this game move out of the WW2 period like WOT's?

15. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

http://warthunder.com/en/game/releasetree/

16. OP
    OP
    Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

Not sure DivHunter if they're planning on moving out of the WW2 era. They do have aircraft like the Sabre jet and Mig's etc, but I believe these were actually developed and fielded at the end of WW2.

I'm sure if the game does well they might eventually field a "Korean War" field of aircraft.

17. jeebers34

jeebers34 Member

The game is definitely post WW-2, Korea period at the high end. Sure, some of the planes were fielded during or immediately after WW2 (ME-262, 163, Meteors), but others (migs F86) are def post war. Also, MM is non-existent, so you will get matches where your low tiers are up against jets, just stay low and hope they don't pick on you :p.

18. SenorGrande

SenorGrande Member

I understand why you feel this way but I just like the thrill of the chase in this game. Its fucking frustrating but I just keep going back. I now have some bombers (wellington and a catalina) which enable me to do some serious ground target damage - got 22 ground targets in one match, and 12 of those were tanks. I got some uber xp for that. It also took the enemy a while to realise that I was leveling entire tank columns and that perhaps they ought to do something about me. Had about 6 fighters attacking me :lol:

Best thing I have done is to get the wellington or the catalina (or this russian thing I forget the name of, also holds 16x 100lb bombs) then level up the reload crew skill so your bombs rearm muuuch quicker. I can re-arm my payload of 16 x 100lb bombs in the catalina is 1 minute. :D

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  19. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

I find if I focus on ground targets and just take out immediate threats to myself I can take out more in a fighter/attacker than most bombers manage.

Going bomber heavy then getting a domination map tends to be a bit fail though. Cranking up gunner accuracy in my crew I intend to use bombers atm.

20. FlyHigher

FlyHigher Member

If any of you OCAU guys are looking to join a social group of War Thunder i'd like to extend the invitation to apply to join the AEF.

We're a AUS/NZ clan that's been around for 10 years playing military style and simulation games. We're now one of the first groups in the region backing War Thunder and we think it has a bright future. Sure it's only in beta, but as most of you will admit its already a well polished and fun game.

So if you're 18+ and looking for a good group mature, good natured people to squad play regularly with teamspeak it would be great to hear from you!

Our Website: http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/

All the info on joining (Gaijin Forum): http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/15507-aef-looking-to-form-a-social-ausnz-sqn/

[​IMG]