War Thunder

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by Frenchpom, Feb 15, 2013.

1. kesawi

kesawi Member

Was playing around with the training missions last night, looks like the game should be quite a lot of fun.

I cranked up all of the graphics settings to the max and the frame rate never dropped below 60fps at 1920x1200.

2. OP
    OP
    Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

Yeah, the awesome sound score and excellent graphics really put the icing on the cake with WT. I now have the Level 6 American F6F. Has 6 MG's, 6 x HVAR rockets and 2 x 1000lb bombs :shock: Needless to say, it's devastating in the ground attack role and fighter role!

3. Brass Em

Brass Em Member

Fired this game up last night. Completed the tutorials no problem. Only EU or RUS online servers available. Started a mission with ai only on EU server and no problem with lag. 2 russians joined in and screen updates dropped to about once per second - not good for a flight game. There are no ping time displayed on servers?

How does everyone else find the online aspect of this game?

4. kesawi

kesawi Member

Jumped online last night in arcade and found the game ran pretty smoothly. I even managed to shoot down a plane :)

I don't like the control system much and crashed into the mountains several times. I'd prefer to have a fixed view and do all of the flying with the mouse rather than the keys. Not sure if it can be changed as I haven't looked into customising the controls.

5. r8response

r8response Member

F2 though F8 gives you alot of different views. F2 from memory is cockpit view which for alot of planes is fully implemented. Bombers should be getting an update soon.

Most people fly with the mouse, which you can change to through the setup wizard.

6. kesawi

kesawi Member

Me prefered view is 3rd person as it gives a broader field of view. What annoys me when flying with the mouse is the view rotates rather than being fixed with the cross hair in the centre. Will have to look at the options tonight.

7. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

The host of a game has a lot more strain on their connection than the clients or when connecting to an arcade game etc. and it seems each system makes periodic contact with the log in / parent server as well.

8. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

You probably want mouse joystick instead of mouse aim.

When using mouse aim you can turn the aircraft harder with the keys because they get to the 'ignore instructor' limit faster.

9. The MWNN

The MWNN Member

Very impressed with this game, kicks the shit out of world of warplanes. the combat is really fun.

10. r8response

r8response Member

[​IMG] Click me for higher res.

The more i play, the more i like. World of Warplanes can go eat dick :D

11. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

The only thing that gets me is the extraordinary wait time on higher rank planes then you queue up with mid rank and fight exactly the same planes you were just trying to get into a game with.

[​IMG]

Though it was rather amusing when a MIG 9 started talking shit at the start of a match only to be shot down by my buddie's rank 6 BF 109 E3.

12. Brass Em

Brass Em Member

Tried again last night. Managed to get two arcade games in without any lag issues what so ever. Must have been 20 a side. Great stuff.

Last game of domination the red team blitzed us. Their top ace got 13 kills. Goes by the name of DIVHUNTER or something. :thumbup:

13. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

lul wut :lol:

Nice that there was a witness to my best game so far and in Japanese rank 0 planes no less. This was after I convinced Raephix and Eucharos (the squad I was in) to play Russian biplanes. I believe after we won about 80% of our matches the comment was "these planes are OP as fuck" :p

14. timsarg

timsarg Member

war thunder is a good arcade game but i wish they would drop the full realism bullshit .

This game in no way gets even close to il2 for a combat sim . Joystick support is pathetic and mouse+keyboard is superior in any mode .

i enjoy the game in arcade mode simply for a thrash , nothing more .

I do love my beaufighter . Climb straight away at the start to ~4000m and look for bombers and then proceed to B&Z .

15. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

Something like 70% of players are playing arcade anyway.

With a 380-500 ping I'm not that keen on anything but arcade at this point.

16. timsarg

timsarg Member

no shit . pisses me off when i get bad connection and look down and it's a 500 ping .

but why play any other mode other than arcade . This game isn't ready for full real settings .

17. r8response

r8response Member

Go dominate in a "Full Real Battle" and then come back and say mouse/keyboard is superior....

Historical can be done with that sort of ping.

18. timsarg

timsarg Member

full real battle my ass . This game is not full real until they sort out the FM's . The fm's are complete and utter rubbish .

19. r8response

r8response Member

So your initial claim that mouse/keyboard being superior in any game mode regardless of flight modelling is useless bullshit hyperbole.

20. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

Got this installed last night... finished the tutorials and started my first arcade game.

Went US reserve planes, owned hard with 5 kills and 3 captures for a first place in the match with 1500 points or somewhere there abouts :)