Warmonger, new PhysX title.

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by RoboBust, Sep 21, 2007.

1. RoboBust

RoboBust Member

New vid here. Might be up the alley of fans of Red Faction. No doubt heavily financed by Ageia, it's going to be free for download on the 16th of next month, apparently. Hopefully it has a little gameplay substance after the "coolness" of the the physics wears off, unlike CellFactor.

2. $3@N

$3@N (Banned or Deleted)

Atleast you PhysX owners get decent free games in the absence of UT3 and other titles.

Can't wait will the little card drops PCI 1x and goes PCI-E either 1-4x or higher.

3. stevo4

stevo4 Member

The PCIe version should be available sometime early next year.
    They have already been made for Dell, who are using them in their "Alienware" PC's.

Performance wise they wont be much better than the PCI version, according to Ageia. Just PCIe rather than PCI.

And hopefully it will have a bit more gameplay than Cell Factor, which is little more than a tech demo for PhysX. Not just something put together by the game developer to meet their requirements of the PhysX licence. ie the use of PhysX is free as long as the developer includes support for the PPU.

4. $3@N

$3@N (Banned or Deleted)

So thats where they make their money.

$250AU PPU

Which aint bad a guess but from what i have read PhysX titles are really heavy on the GPU because of the extra particles and whatever.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  5. stevo4

stevo4 Member

With the lack of games todate that use a PPU, I doubt they have made much money out of the PPU hw, as they have not been big sellers at all.

The Unreal 3 engine uses and supports PhysX, and that has been licenced to over a hundred game developers to date, so we should see PPU support in more games soon.

6. Clippit

Clippit Member

lol ppu imo

7. stevo4

stevo4 Member

Not 4 everyone.

But its at least something. Not the promise/vaporware bs that ppl keep going on about running physics on a gpu or multicore cpu.

8. Chamelion

Chamelion Member

I just sold both of my Physx cards. Couldn't warrant keeping them with the severely short supply of games that utilise them.

May get another one down the track if games that use them come out in a reasonable quantity.

9. stevo4

stevo4 Member

For what you would have got for them, I would not have bothered.
    Especially when a few good titles that utilize one are just around the corner. Finally.

I would have at least waited till after they had been released.

10. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Warmonger = free like Revolution?

If it is free and the gameplay is decent enough, then if there's a few more titles coming out free especially for the PhysX cards, then it'll soon justify the cost of the card.

11. OP
    OP
    RoboBust

RoboBust Member

Yeah, free. Dunno how many other freebies are planned (if any), but it'll be interesting to see what happens when more UE3 based games come out, could be justifiable yet.

12. stevo4

stevo4 Member

From whats been stated so far, its a free dl on the 16/10.

Whether its the full game, I dont know.

dl'ed and watched the video (HD).
    The graphics looked good and the gameplay looked even better.

Just how good? I'll wait and see how it plays first, b4 I commit one way or another on wether it was worth the dl. I will dl it, just hoping it has a bit more effort put into the gameplay, unlike revolution which was not much more than a tech demo.

13. stevo4

stevo4 Member

With the Unreal 3 engine being licensed to over a hundred game developers todate, we should see quite a few games coming over the next year or so that will have PPU support.

14. OP
    OP
    RoboBust

RoboBust Member

Yeah I know, PPU support is one thing, whether it's worthwhile laying down the money to take advantage of it is something else entirely. I'm a little scared we're gonna be stuck in this period of "PPU only" features being limited to slightly fancier explosions and cloth effects forever.

15. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Isn't that all that new graphics cards offer?
    New shaders or whatever?
    Yet people pay $600+ every 6 months for a new one.

I reckon more physics is the way to go with games atm.

16. stevo4

stevo4 Member

One of the things about this game that interest's me is that they have set out to include physics affects that will alter gameplay, not just fancier effects.

17. OP
    OP
    RoboBust

RoboBust Member

That's all very well and good for a game which is essentially an advertisement paid for by Ageia, but no real developers seem to want to take the risk of alienating potential customers by requiring A PPU (which is fair enough). I don't think we're going to see the card used to anywhere near it's full potential with them trying to cater to both card and non card owners, sadly. It won't happen, but it would be sweet if somebody took a gamble and made some kind of kick arse game with a single player campaign that is just unplayable without a PPU - I know that'd be enough for me to go out and buy one. Can't really see how else the transition to owning Ageia hardware being the norm will happen; they need a killer app to make them mainstream, but won't become mainstream until they have a killer app. Bit of an unfortunate cycle.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  18. stevo4

stevo4 Member

Paid for by Ageia?
    Do you have something to back that up?

Or a game developer looking for a selling point?
    While I dont totally disagree with what you are saying, what goes against what you are saying is the way a number of PC manufacturers like Dell, Alienware and HP have been offering a PPU in their gaming machines.

And there is more than a few games and apps that support the PPU -

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1141844+ =

19. OP
    OP
    RoboBust

RoboBust Member

The game is free, selling point? They're not just helping Ageia out because they're good blokes.

Even with these big players offering the cards there's nowhere near enough of them out there in in the average Joe's machine for people who are selling a product to justify making it PhysX only, the lack of PhysX only titles that aren't funded by Ageia out there is testament to this. I'm well aware of the number of titles out there that support the PPU, but what I was getting at was building a game from the ground up around it, requiring it. They're offering their middleware to developers for free when they'd otherwise have to pay for expensive alternatives like Havok (or code their own), so getting that type of dev support isn't exactly a mean feat. In return the developers chuck in a few fancy little PPU features which, let's face it, hardly inspire us to go out and buy a card by offering a mind blowingly different experience to software physics.

Don't get me wrong, I think physics acceleration is the way to go and desperately want it to take off, I'm just a little pessimistic (!) about the way things are going. Another thing that could help them which I forgot to mention is mods. With the modability of UE3 and it being such a popular engine, there's bound to be some clever folk doing some cool things, so not all hope is lost.

20. Rampar

Rampar Member

IMO "PPU only levels" are the only way these cards will become mainstream. Would you buy a $250 dollar card if say a Bioshock had a few awesome PPU only levels featuring all sorts of water effects etc and had physics tightly coupled with gameplay? Or maybe TF2 and a few PPU only multiplayer maps showcasing various effects.

One thing is for sure, I aint putting my money down unless the effects are spectacular and that will only happen when a PPU is mandatory.

cheers,
    Rob