1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

*WARNING* Cat 10.6 Preview (8741 IIRC)

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Frag, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Frag

Frag Member

Thought I would warn others from trying this set of drivers at this stage. Really messed up my display and had a heck of a time getting things going again.

10.6 drivers failed, tried to go back 10.5 but they didn't go, so tried 10.4 same result.

Used Driver sweeper cleaned out ATi, Safe Mode and cleaned rest out then tried 10.5s and same deal.. used DS and this time 10.4s same deal

Used DS and removed nvidia drivers and PhysX drivers and still same result..

Anyway all I can say is thank f#(k for windows restore function.. really was worried i would be doing a complete reinstall :/

There is my warning, seems that a few people on XS having similar issues - so while for some these drivers are fast i would suggest staying away for the moment as obviously things are off ATM.

2. Alba

Alba Member

Had an issue with them as well.

Installed over the top as usual and it worked, report was all good.
    It didn't ask me to reboot which is normal, but I like to do a reboot before testing.

Anyhow, while booting back up it BSOD a few times, but lucky like you, I made a restore point before I installed them just incase.
    Back up and running again with 10.4a, my favorite driver to date.

Could be a conflict with the nvidia driver. Both of us had an issue, and we both have an nvidia card.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  3. TaroT

TaroT Member

Driver Packaging Version 8.74-100517a-100911E-ATI
    these ones?

work fine for me depends on which ones you got.
    mine were from station drivers and so far they are flying along

4. Alba

Alba Member

Got them from station drivers to.

Might have to try uninstalling all ATi and nvidia drivers first, then install these followed by nvidia drivers.

5. OP
    OP
    Frag

Frag Member

Heh, I'll just patiently wait for a formal preview driver.. but good signs con current titles, people reporting 5-15% improvements in things like just cause 2, etc etc

6. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Cant be the drivers causing those kinds of problems surely??

I was told that ATI drivers are the most perfectly produced item in the universe and that they are idiot proof!!

Obviously I was misinformed!

:)

7. snappy1

snappy1 Member

I haven't had any issues with them, 10% jump in vantage framerates

Played Crysis quickly last night, no problems,

8. Alba

Alba Member

If you have a look, you'll see that only Frag and I have the issue, and we are both using an nvidia card along side ATi.
    The few people that have tried them with only ATI card/s seem to have no problem. Do you see the pattern here;)

9. OP
    OP
    Frag

Frag Member

Haha! dont feed the gremlins hiding about!

10. NukeJockey

NukeJockey Member

I gave them a try, however Most of my games were crashing on startup, so I went back to 10.5.

I have an nvidia card for physx and 2 5850s.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  11. sw-m78

sw-m78 Member

Here is the perfect reason to not jump on new drivers as soon as they are released!

12. dmandn

dmandn Member

I tried it yesterday (I have an nvidia installed with ati as well) and also got crazy artifact issues on screen.

I have noticed today that ati have now put 10.6 drivers up on their site for download.

13. da_jimsta

da_jimsta Member

The last time i did an update was to 10.3 and had huge troubles too. I ended up having to driver sweep its ass to bits, but I dont think that really helped that much. What did work though was...

Open an administrator command prompt:
    1. Start (windows button)
    2. Type "cmd" (or click Run and type "cmd") then right click and choose "Run as Administrator" (or just run if you are on XP)

To uninstall existing drivers:
    3. Type "cd C:\Program Files\ATI\CIM\Bin64" or "cd C:\Program Files\ATI\CIM\Bin" (you are either 32 or 64 bit)
    4. Type "ATISetup.exe -Uninstall"

To install new drivers:
    3. Download them from ati.
    4. Extract them somewhere.
    5. Type "cd somewhere\Bin64" or "cd somewhere\Bin" (you are either 32 or 64 bit) and 'somewhere' is the folder you extracted.
    4. Type "ATISetup.exe -Install -output screen"
    Then I was able to play Dawn of War 2 again :D Took a couple of days worth of buggering around to get there tho.

14. dmandn

dmandn Member

I fixed it simply by uninstalling ati control.... from the control panel, then running driver sweeper, then restarting, going into device manager and manually removing and selecting "delete the driver software for this device". Restarted, then installed new 10.6 release.

Problems solved.

15. Linkin

Linkin Member

Driver cleaners/sweepers are complete shit. they leave things behind even in safe mode. This is how i have been installing Ati drivers since 9.12, upgrading every month to the new version without any issues whatsoever, as well as going from a 4850 to 5770.

1) Download the latest catalyst package and run it. Once you extract the files select UNINSTALL and then EXPRESS at the first menu. This removes catalyst, the drivers and all. After you do this you will need to reboot.

2) After rebooting, run and extract the installer again, this time select INSTALL from the first menu, followed by EXPRESS or CUSTOM. once everything is installed you need to reboot, for the last time.

3) Uninstall any driver cleaner programs as they are complete crap, and enjoy your properly working drivers from here on in.

16. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

This method DOES NOT UNINSTALL EVERYTHING!!!

I have tried this method numerous times and if it did remove everything then I would have to unlock my overdrive tab and re-set all my 3d settings when the new drivers are installed....but doing it this way I dont..which tells me that some settings somewhere are not being removed. Even when I use driver sweeper etc etc these settings are not touched.

17. Linkin

Linkin Member

You're right, it leaves registry entries behind as for convenience. Driver cleaners remove these and somehow manages to fuck it up, in my experience.

18. Intensity

Intensity Member

Have had the driver since they came out, no issues at all i rate 110%:thumbup:

19. joecool

joecool Member

I've had a huge performance hit, used to get 80fps, now I'm getting 20fps in BC2... anyone know where I can get the 10.5 drivers from??

I simply installed 10.6 over the top of 10.5.. I also flashed my mobo bios so can't tell which one is the issue, most likely drivers...

20. CAPS LOCK

CAPS LOCK Member

Not sure if this helps, but it sure fixed my problems with installing the display drives, and CCC.