1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Warning for eating too much Soy products

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by kumquat, Jul 29, 2005.

1. kumquat

kumquat Member

2. PostModern

PostModern Angry Brewer

This has been disproven, simply look at the number of old aged people in traditional soy eating countries without the problems.

3. Bigwillie

Bigwillie Member

whats wrong with soy, its the most versatile ingrediant in asia apart from straight rice.

They've been living off it for ages, they would know if soy was bad for you by now.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2005
  4. Chamelion

Chamelion Member

One can point to that being the product of conditioning though. They may have simply evolved to handle said foods.

Matt.

5. PostModern

PostModern Angry Brewer

In which case, so can everyone, no?

I (and many other occidentals I know) have been eating soy and tofu for ages and it hasn't brained my damage, and I haven't sprouted boobs. Small sample size, I know, but... I read somewhere that fermentation, such as used in the traditional manufacture of soy sauce and tofu removes the suspect agents, so there may be a case.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2005
  6. spludgey

spludgey Member

I'm a vego and my boobs are pretty big :shock:, but it's all muscle, so it's all good. :thumbup:

7. plasticboy

plasticboy Member

I've taken most soy out of my diet rather than risk it (if there is one) lowering my test. levels, which would affect me in the gym. I have the occasional soy milk as i love the taste but that's it. Until it has been TRULY proven that soy doesn't give you the girly hormones, i'll consume it on a regular basis as i quite like it!

edit: BTW Have a look here as well

Last edited: Aug 2, 2005
  8. pax

pax Member

I thought that most of the anicdotal evidence over this was related to processed soy foods, and not unprocessed ones.

This would be just the same as most processed foods causing issues to people because of what is used in the processing of the foods. This may be exacerbated more in soy based foods.

I don't know of alot about the processing of foods so cannot comment much further than that,

Pax

9. T-O-D

T-O-D Member

well I've only EVER had soy milk on my cereal and as a drink cause my body kinda has some bad reactions to normal milk ;)

It sure hasnt affected me at all. I'm (honestly) one of the fittest, healthiest people i know. And no, its not becuase i go to the gym every day or something, I've never entered one in my life.

10. spludgey

spludgey Member

Never listen to anyone trying to make money from voicing their opinion.

11. badsac

badsac Member

Try oat milk. It doesn't taste a heap different.

12. BuD

BuD Member

soy is good for you and it is also bad
    its all in the preperation ( fermenting process )

here is the problem. traditionally all soy products asians used were fermented for 17 years depending on the end product.Thw western world is. oh they eat heaps of soy they are healthy

Now Soy has a few undesirable elements in it which are ONLY gotten rid of my very long fermenting processes

our side of the world just give you quickly processed soy milks, tofus ect.
    This is what is/will lead to problems with many ppl over the coming years

unfermented soy can assist in you developing cancers ect
    properly fermented ( using PROPER sea salt that has minerals in it and is NOT processed at high temps ) assists in preventing.

ia lso liek to note just liek ppl who binge on mcdonals and seem to keep plodding along the foods will take differing years for differening people to have any effects.

its the same with most cerals nowadays. Its a known fact alot of todays cerals have correlations with causing 10 allergies down the line to potential diabets

Last edited: Aug 3, 2005
  13. PostModern

PostModern Angry Brewer

I'm going to defend soy pretty strongly here, because I just love tofu. :D

In most of the articles linked by kumquat, just about all the testimonials were from women sufferring hyperthyroidism after several years of taking soy-based supplements.

http://food.consumercide.com/soy_women.html
    http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/soytest.htm
    etc

It seems that eating huge amounts of tofu and/or taking supplements is what leads to hyperthyroidism in some people. While there are of course more testimonials on the web than the ones in that article, I'm wondering if, like anything, excessive intake leads to the concentration of the isoflavines in susceptible people. I'm no doctor or nutritionist, but I take my food a bit seriously. I think it's like any food, too much of one thing is unhealthy. To use an absurd example, drinking too much water can kill or severely harm you. Moderation seems to be the key. I would have a meal containing tofu one or two times a week, and soy milk (maybe 100ml) on my cereal about 3 times a week.

I'd like to see hard research determine the recommended maximum intake of tofu, substantiated by a reputable health organisation. Anyone got linkage?