WARNING on the MCP600

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Travloujak, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Lsux0rz

Lsux0rz Member

well, u could set up the pump to run with water, not in ur rig of course, for a few days and see whether it fails

2. Gigitt

Gigitt Member

probably out of warranty now is it?

3. alvins

alvins Member

I just ordered a MCP600 from D&K. They have advised me that they are shipping now with the replacement impellors - note that this is a temporary solution until swiftech come out with a new impellor which will return performance to original spec.

Alvin

4. Gigitt

Gigitt Member

So what does this mean... you have a replacement impeller (ie a spare - so it will ultimately fail as well as it the same as the original). So this replacement is not a new revision impeller.

5. d&ke

d&ke Member

No - it means it has the revised pump head - the same one being shipped to anyone who reports a fail of the old one. This revised pump head has a slightly lower head capability (than that originally advertised) while resulting in no measurable difference in CPU temperature with common instrumentation.

There seems to be some misconception that MCP600 failures are common. This is anything but accurate. We have sold a substantial number of the original pumps and are yet to replace one. Swiftech are to be commended on their pro-active approach to an issue that they identified. It mountains about their commitment to quality.

The 2-3% in previous posts is really minimal. I am sure that there are many PC component manufacturers and pump manufacturers who would celebrate if their failure rate was this low.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2003
  6. apsilon

apsilon Member

So what are the specs of this revision? To the best of my knowledge the original specs are still being listed everywhere including Swiftechs own site. If this revision doesn't meet those specs... well you can see the potential problems.

7. alvins

alvins Member

As has been said it is a temporary solution until a new impellor is developed - when it is available it will meet (and hopefully surpass) original spec - it will also be free of charge to current mcp600 owners.

Specs for this revision is a lower head (3.2m to 2.2m - something like that) and possibly flowrate flowrate - email swiftech for exact specs.

Alvin

8. d&ke

d&ke Member

The maximum head capability decrease is 0.5m.

Also when the long term fix is available, i.e. the new thrust bearing to match original impeller performance, a FREE pump head upgrade will be available to ALL purchasers who want it.

I cannot name any other company that provides that type of support. I could name some who would probably be more inclined to conceal or deny faults. Swiftech has a commitment to quality and support that is exceptional.

9. apsilon

apsilon Member

So is the 2.2 head spec for the original or the revised?

Will current owners be notified when the upgrade is available or will they have to find out for themselves? For that matter will the upgrade definitely come or will they just decide the current revision is good enough.

I've been thinking of buying one of these and was wondering if I should wait or look elsewhere.

10. Jolinator

Jolinator Member

top work D&ke

11. OP
    OP
    Travloujak

Travloujak Member

Well, I got my new impeller. I've now run the machine succesfully for three days constant. The new impeller is smaller, but I haven't noticed any difference in temps. I'm using demineralised water from work and I've mixed in a little Nulon for colour... One thing I have noticed is that after the 2nd day the pump went really quiet, just as I've read about.

12. OP
    OP
    Travloujak

Travloujak Member

Still running fine 24/7. Absolutley no bits of bearing in the water like before.
    Thumbs up to PcCaseGear and Swiftech for their service.