1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Water cooling w/o oc

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by calvinbui, Jul 30, 2011.

1. calvinbui

calvinbui Member

is water cooling a computer that isn't going to be overclock a waste of time and money?

2. AlastairT

AlastairT Member

Generally speaking, watercooling a computer that IS going to overclock is a waste of time and money.

But, it's pretty.

3. MoultoMan

MoultoMan Member

If you want silence then you could probably justify it

4. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

no

that is the best reason to wc
    silence

2nd best reason is cooling

:p

5. fang_laluna

fang_laluna Member

Waste of money: YES
    Waste of time??? if you enjoy wasting time on WC setup, NO :D

6. OP
    OP
    calvinbui

calvinbui Member

im definitely aiming for silence which makes me want to do it, i'll see when bd and the 7000/gtx 600 series come out

7. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

I Personally got into it because I wanted complete silence, the awesome appearance and wank factor. And of course trying something new and feel comfortable gaming in the raging heat in summer and not worry at all.

But It can be pain if you have a hardware issue like GPU playing up and you have keep testing multiple things which requires draining, disconnecting the tubing, re-sitting it, re-cutting tube length, blah blah blah.. but when you don't have issues its pure awesome! :thumbup::thumbup:

8. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

It may be surprising, but after 12 years I'm still waiting to meet a WC system that even comes close to properly quiet, let alone "silent".
    I guess it depends if you've been rendered industrially deaf by owning too many ATI video cards.

9. Square4

Square4 Member

I don't know about that, running a single card and CPU loop on 6.120 rad space, I can turn the fans down below 600rpm for any situation.

Which means that even if it's not quite 'silent' I can't hear it unless I try and listen for the sound in particular. And I'm more than able to sleep with it in the same room.

10. WuzzA21

WuzzA21 Member

I love the fact that i can turn my computer on, and the only thing i hear is the slight humm of my dual pumps going.

In summer i just turn the fans from 7v to 12v and its still pretty silent.

I haven't taken my loop apart in over 9 months. Ill do it soon, but i'll only worry about maintenance when i move the pc around alot.

11. HornySamus

HornySamus (Banned or Deleted)

I watercool for temps, aesthetics and to know I'm better than everyone.
    Silence is nice too.

12. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

Click to view full size!

i got 9 fans and a recent visitor commented

"you can hear a pin drop! :eek: " :thumbup:

13. Darkness Born

Darkness Born Member

ppl forget that WC is one of two things....

GOOD COOLING

or

QUIET

And imo these two are largely mutually exclusive

Having 2x360 25 fpi rads in push pull with GT 5400rpms will be FARKING LOUD, but not too many degrees above ambient, if any :lol:

Having a single low fpi 240 for your cpu only loop with two GT 900rpms will be quiet, and decently cool (better than most options)

Remember, if you have more fans with WC, your system will likely be louder. Most cases have what, an exhaust at back, maybe one at top and 2 intakes? So unless you mount the rad externally (even then you need some incidental cooling unless you have full board/ram/gpu etc wet), you will still need fans in your case, and if they are now pushing through a rad, they will need to be faster/bigger.

14. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Don't run a high o/c because i can't track my cpu temps accurately but i do it for silence and wankery. before i jumped onto wc, my graphics cards and case fans were the loudest things in my case. Idling i could easily hear them down the hall. Even with directCU and twinfrozr/cyclone cards.

After w/c'ing the only thing i can audibly hear is either the sound of water being pushed by my pump on boot or when i feel my temps are adequate and bump up my 120mm fans - which is rare as with those fans on low my gpu idles at 1-2C above room temp. Not as much emphasis on decent airflow so i don't have as many fans pushing air through my case.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  15. WuzzA21

WuzzA21 Member

I'll break it down. I've got 6 1850rpm gental typhoons cooling what's in my sig.

CPU = 100
    Mobo = 100
    gpu = 150
    rad = 170
    pumps = 200
    pump top = 70
    Res = 50
    tubing = 20
    fittings = 100
    Fans = 120
    fan controller = 60

Case for all the pretty stuff was about $350 plus some extra's.
    I used to have a slight hate for my loud computer.
    I'm soo freaking happy that I can run my fans at 5v and I can only hear my pumps.
    7v I can still hear my pumps. But I hear a slight humming from the fans.
    12v in summer I can't hear my pump. But the fans are still quieter than a gpu fan running.

It was expensive. But I love that I can't hear my pc.

16. Mikio

Mikio Member

why did i hear that mastercard/hallmark/kleenex music playing lightly in the background when I read that... :p

17. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

I've yet to hear a silent watercooling pump. D5's make too much vibration noise, and I can hear the pump whine on the mcp355/DDCs.

Sadly, the quietest PC I've ever had was when I was benchtesting my old AMD setup, and I had a TRUE120 with 2x GT1850s running. I couldn't hear a thing at all in that setup, and that was with the fans at 12v!

Moral of this story: Go to more concerts and destroy your hearing a bit more, before you get into watercooling for a quiet pc.

18. leithals

leithals Member

My D5 is silent on level 5. Not sure what everybody does with there's but I mounted it using the included foam and rubber washers. Once the system had bleed no more sound. I have a "almost" silent build. Noisiest part is the TX750 under load, and that gets swapped out tonight.