1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Water Damage Caused By Storm...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by ibace, Dec 8, 2021.

1. ibace

ibace Member

Heavy rain here Tuesday arvo/evening...my Aunt wakes me up and says something like "you'd better come out and have a look at your computer...there's rain leaking inside out the back room" - so I toddle out to the back room...look up at the ceiling to see a fair bit of rainwater running down a ceiling joist and doing the drip on the floor thing in one spot in particular...my Aunt had put a bucket on the floor to catch most of the water that was dripping down...and then I saw it! Oh my God!!

Yes I had the case on its' side on the piece of furniture where it normally sits...but have been doing some work on it testing different components and had a new RTX 2080 Super I had planned to benchmark that evening...much easier to work on the PC at that position...also much easier for rain inside the house finding its' way where it shouldn't be going...
    [​IMG]
    and almost as soon as my panic subsided [as the power had gone out with the storm and nothing was energised] I noticed that where my Aunt had placed the bucket...was right next to the end of the furniture where my PC usually sits...but it is also the spot where I place my mobile phone as it is being charge....and sure enough...there was my Samsung with charging cord still attached...underneath the 40 mm or so of collected storm-water...oh this is going to be a blast??
    [​IMG]
    Thinking back to the old adage of putting a water damaged phone into a container of raw rice...that's what I went to do...unplugged the charging cable...removed the outer protective cover on the Samsung A20....and the screen lit up! Still working...now I dunno what to do with it, so just put it back down and left it on the table...if it survives over night...well, we'll see where that goes...
    Many hours later...long after the S.E.S. had been and gone...I started the task of attempting to resurrect my PC...the second pic shows where the excess water was "appearing" inside the house...and making its' way down the beam...not only into my open PC, but over the desk next to the tower, over the speakers on the desk, into the keyboard [nice Gaming unit with clicky Brown switches] and over some paperwork on the desk...leaking all over the tiled floor making it extremely difficult to walk on as it was so slippery...
    [​IMG]
    It is going to be a very, long night...

I guess I should be grateful, having the knowledge and skills to undertake such a task...every piece of the PC was taken out of the case..wiped and checked, air dusted courtesy of compressor [worked wonders to highlight and show the unbelievably small amounts of liquid in all sorts of places...] but by 3.10 am...reassembled and ready to try the "On" button....IT'S ALIVE!!

WHO WOULD BELIEVE IT? But I am now very optimistic that all will be well so....here's hoping!

Got plenty of mixed photos of the adventure....will advise if any major issue arises...

VirtualNinja and Sankari like this.
  2. havabeer

havabeer Member

turns out the A20 is one of samsungs phones that is water resistant rated.

could have also baked it in an oven for a while to help dry everything off.

3. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

Water on PC components that are not powered on, in the short term won't cause any damage. Just a matter of drying them out. Isopropyl alcohol and an air compressor make easy work of doing that.

Rice is next to useless, cold rice doesn't absorb liquid, so unless you're going to bake a risotto with it, it isn't going to dry your parts.

mAJORD and Sankari like this.
  4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Lucky bugger.......so far. I'd be inclined to leave it to try over perhaps a few days to a week then turn on again.

5. Cap One

Cap One Member

This, I'd leave it out in the sun for a day or two to dry out completely because it might still have water in spots like the RAM slots for example.

Sankari likes this.
  6. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

Hitting it with the compressor like the OP indicates they have done, will do a good job of clearing out any hidden water.

7. Beavis_Wolf

Beavis_Wolf Member

It's whats called extreme water cooling.

Clean your cmos battery terminals

8. Sankari

Sankari Member

Please don't waste time putting wet electronics in rice. It doesn't work, and there is absolutely no physical mechanism by which it could.

9. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

I aint no Scientist...but wen i read the story...it did sound feasible??? Controlled environment...ability of rice to cause extraction of minute parts of water by...I dunno...metamorphosis or hieroglyphics...ha ha! Update...phone needs professional care...woke it up today...warning sign indicating drop of water and an exclamation mark...appears a few hours of time resulted in (likely) trashed phone (anyone with a spare Samsung phone they no longer need? Cause this old Pensioner does need a replacement phone) am certain mobile repairer will quote obscene amount for repairs...if they can be done...ideally would prefer an A5 (2017) Samsung....also keyboard needed 2 be replaced...it no longer worked properly this arvo either, but it may come good with time.. that is all!

10. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I'm always amazed that people get so surprised that when a PC has been drenched in water and the important bit, was not powered on at the time, still works perfectly fine and being properly cleaned and dried.

Back in the 2011 floods we had a customer who brought in a system which was completely submerged in muddy water with the insides being covered in mud. The PC was completely disassembled, cleaned throughly and then allowed ample time to dry. No surprises once reassembled the PC turned on as if nothing had happened.

I think people with electronics just get too hung up on the idea of water + electricty = bad (which it is) but then don't acknowledge that in cases where there is no power chances are it will be completely fine. As long as water doesn't sit for an extended period and is properly cleaned and dried, there really isn't that much need for panic.

11. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

I admit I had high hopes about the PC when I realised that there had been no power energising the house at the time the water appeared - the pictures do show a fair amount of water inside the PC...and as we all know water works on gravity...finding the lowest place it can travel to and so the pictures do not show how much water was contained in the bottom section of the case...obviously there was a fair bit on the mobo itself...in one of the pics you can see droplets of water on top of the A.I.O. heatsink screen...so the water did manage to splash itself around the internals..the compressor certainly blew out the last traces of moisture that were hiding in the DIMM sockets and underneath them...same as moisture under the socket for the USB port specifically, also within tight spots of the case itself, but it was all over the internals of the case.

Once I was satisfied with my clean up exploits and booted it back up...I set about running my normal benchmark tests....but both Sky Diver...and then Fire Strike [after a hard reboot] but both of those programs just locked up about 70% of the way through the benchmark run...anxiety started to go up...so next reboot I did a rerun of Speed Queen, Cache and Memory Benchmark, Cinebench R15 then Unigine Superposition, Valley and Heaven....then I decided to run Aida x64 Stress Test...it's been going now for 10 hours and 40 something minutes...I figure if it gets to 12 hours that should be sufficient proof of a successful rejuvenation....but as to why the 3DMark tests are hanging???

Will send them an email with some questions...and a couple of pictures I took when I realised that the program had stopped. I am aware they had issues in the last 5 weeks or so with the program just refusing to start [the opening pop-up would appear and then the timestamp just doing the spin around thing] they replied to me then with a workaround and stated they were working on a solution. What; they cannot leave a good thing alone? Have to keep tweaking it?

Time will tell I guess...

12. 151528

151528 Member

I've always been of the mentality that even after a thorough clean of electronics, you should always avoid turning it on again and wait a further 1-3 days to allow for any unseen liquid to dry. It may have been all you needed to save your phone for example

Not a criticism, and I do hope there's no further problems for you, just thought it might help someone else who has to deal with a similar issue :thumbup:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
  13. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

trouble with the phone was [and I think most newer phones are the same] the battery is not able to be removed; it is an integral part of the phone and as such the phone is a sealed unit...

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

If it happened to me I'd kinda maybe hope it didn't turn on, for insurance purposes ; )

15. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

as it was happening in front of my eyes....I sort of thought "well if it is f^cked, at least the insurance'll cover it" but as I was cleaning away I further thought "so if it gets replaced...how will I change the system?" cause I mean...I don't want for another system...happy with what I'm currently running with...don't want a new case even - AND THE TRUTH OF THAT STATEMENT IS...I GOT A HOT SPECIAL TODAY AND BOUGHT ANOTHER OF WHAT I ALREADY HAVE...THE ONE I PREFERRED TO KEEP AND GOT RID OF MY CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO RGB RAM, ALL 4 STICKS OF 32 GB GOODNESS CAUSE I DIDN'T WANT TO SWAP MY GIGABYTE AORUS 240 RGB A.I.O. COOLER AND KEEP THE CORSAIR 128 GB - YESSIREE...LIAN LI LANCOOL II RGB TPG x 2 CASE...WITH RRP OF $159...SPOTTED IT AT MY LOCAL SHOP AT $99...WANTED TO BUY 2 BUT ONLY 1 SPECIAL ALLOWED PER PERSON...

Truth be told the only other component I would like to source is another pair of 32 GB G-Skill Trident-Z RGB Neo ram...Module Name = G Skill TridentZ F4-3600C16-32GTZN Timings 16-22-22-42 - if anyone has a pair to sell...PM me, I'll take them!

16. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I upgraded Eva's 2017 A5 to a new 2021 A12 a few months ago. I don't remember selling it and no way would I have binned it or given it away. It was a pretty decent phone in excellent condition both functionally and cosmetically, had spent it's entire life in a wallet style case with glass screen protector. She's asleep right now but when she wakes up I'll ask her what happened to it.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
  17. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

ThanX my man...Yeah, those older Sammys were great phones...

18. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

She only got the new phone because I'd just spent $650 on a 5G 256GB A52s. She felt left out :lol:.

I use my phone for a few more things than her, in particular camera and NFC. Not that her A12 has a bad camera, it's awesome for an 'entry level' phone, but then again it's a Samsung so of course it's awesome :D. Likewise her A5, until I bought my A52s her A5 had the best camera in the house except for my DSLR. Way better than the Nokia 3.2 I'd been using, but the A5 was a $600(?) phone when purchased.

I only bought mine because the Nokia went through a wash cycle with my jeans. I'd been wanting a new phone for ages but I needed a reason... :lol:. The A52s is all I wanted and more. The camera is arguably better than my Nikon D3500 for quick snaps and of course much more convenient.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
  19. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

have so far absolutely refused to spend the big $$ for a phone...my last new mobile was a Motorola Brick...geez I think it cost something obscene back in...1994...or 5? Somewhere about there. Ever since that first burn...bought used or new cheapies at end of life cycle for me...but that does sound like some super A1 camera your A52 is sporting...

Ratzz likes this.
  20. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Have you tested it since the failed benchmark runs?

If you have a dishwasher, I'd strip it all down and run it through a cycle without soap.
    Then chuck it in a warm (90c) oven for about 15 mins to dry.
    This is FAR too low to reflow anything but dries things very well.

Then reassemble and see what happens.