Watercooled PC desk mod.

Discussion in 'PC Build Logs' started by Imfaceroll, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Imfaceroll

Imfaceroll Member

WATERCOOLED PC DESK MOD WITH CAR SOUND SYSTEM

Hey guys, Below are links to all of my Pages. Most YouTube footage will not be up until the desk mod is complete so please stay tuned. Visit my Facebook page for more pictures at higher quality.
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Imfacerollgaming
    Email: ImfacerollGaming@gmail.com
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ImfacerollPCGaming

I was researching the internet one night for a new computer because my laptop just wasn't up to scratch anymore and it couldn't even run battlefield. I knew nothing about computers however i was interested in trying to put together a build.
    Luckily my mate knew about computers and he helped me put together a neat build.

Components include: Windows 8.1, 4770k i7 processor, Asrock extreme 4 motherboard, 850watt cool master PSU, 16gb Rip jaws RAM, Nvidia GTX 780 GPU, 2tb western digital HDD and a 120gb Samsung SSD.

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

Putting this build together got me more interested in computers so i decided to look up other builds on the net and came across some awesome computer mods, one that caught my eye was a computer within a desk, I WANTED TO MAKE MY OWN.

Starting in January 2014, i did two full days of research on computers, components, how to videos and reviews because i knew absolutly nothing about them.

Two days passed and i decided to drawn up some plans for the desk.

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

With the desk drawn up i made a list of components that i would need to purchase, the main computer specs included:

Windows 8.1, i7 4770k processor, Asus maximus VI formula motherboard, two 1000watt corsair gold RM series PSU's, 32gb of corsair dominator platinum RAM, two nvidia GTX 780Ti GPU's in SLI, 4Tb western digital HDD + three 1Tb western digital HDD,
    two 250gb samsung SSD's + two 120gb samsung SSD's, Asus xonar essence stx soundcard and Asus xonar phoebus soundcard. I will also be watercooling everything, running tripple 27inch monitors and setting up a full car sound system within the desk.
    Since this build was going to be a long and expensive project i went all out on components to make a beast.

Just a few photos of some parts used in the build:

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Moving on to the desk, the wood used to make the desk is 18mm thick and the legs were made thicker for extra support. Iv also included a back board for extra support and stability. The top of the desk is routed out to fit a sheet of 6mm thick hardened glass.

A few pictures of the desk being built:

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

I also made some fake elevated bottom platforms to hide wires and make wire management as clean as i can. I wrapped the platforms in a carbon fibre vinyl which turned out amazing.

Elevated Platforms:

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

Once i had all of my cutouts done to size i decided to test fit some components and also see how much space would be available for cable routing, lighting and running tubing to watercool all of the components.

Test Fitting:

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

Components fit well and i am happy with how the desk is shaping up.

I decided it would be a good idea to test out the computer with its stock coolers before i install the waterblocks to make sure everything worked correctly. I also ran some performance comparisons with my 780Ti superclocked GPU's.
    The results i obtained are with no overclock, everything will be overclocked when the build is complete.

One 780Ti GPU on ultra settings.
    [​IMG]
    Click to view full size

Two 780Ti GPU's in SLI configuration.
    [​IMG]
    Click to view full size

The desk is now ready to be painted. I decided to go with a nice gloss black on the outside and the raised platform in the desk. The inside walls of the desk are being wrapped in carbon fibre vinyl.

Desk Painted:

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

Now that i have built the desk and painted it, i started installing some components such as fans, speakers, amplifier and i also installed my waterblocks onto the computer components.

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size

Antenna for car headunit.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

The lovely Girlfriend putting up with the mess.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Some more PC components:

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Since installing a lot of my components i have made some real progress with the desk. I have installed 2/3 of my tubing and now im just waiting for some extension cables to come in the mail before the desk can be finished.

Progress pictures:

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Now that the desk is around 2/3 built i decided to add some LED light strips to illuminate all of the components. I wired all of the LED strips up to switches and i put some perspex under my amplifier,
    HDD's and SSD's to create a green illuminated boarder around them. There are LED strips under the perspex to illuminate it even further.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Heres a diagram on how to wire your LED's or any other device up to a switch.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

This is my build as of the 12/06/2014. I am currently waiting for some extension cables in the mail so i am able to put the motherboard side in the desk and work on some nice cable management.
    Hopefully i should receive the goods next week. Please stay tuned and ill upload more progress photos as i continue with the build.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2014
  2. Seanay00

Seanay00 Member

That's beyond epic dude! It's given me inspiration. Keep the pix cumn!

3. OP
    OP
    Imfaceroll

Imfaceroll Member

Cheers mate. Its getting there =)

4. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

nice setup you got their:thumbup:

5. OP
    OP
    Imfaceroll

Imfaceroll Member

Thanks mate its pretty much my first build.

6. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

looks like it's lit up like the discoteque I met my boyfriend at...

Good job!

7. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

Damn that looks the goods! I want one!!!

8. OP
    OP
    Imfaceroll

Imfaceroll Member

Haha thanks =)

9. OP
    OP
    Imfaceroll

Imfaceroll Member

Thank you to everyone for your kind words =). I'm hoping to post updates ASAP.

10. OP
    OP
    Imfaceroll

Imfaceroll Member

Small Update

Hey guys, just a small update, iv installed the water blocks on my HDD's and i decided to take a picture of them in the desk.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Sorry for the quality they were taken with my phone in the middle of the night. I will upload some better quality in the near future.

Here is another thing i worked on which is just for a bit of humor

Click to view full size!

This is a screen shot of a small video i made (Potential YouTube video intro) of someone rolling their face on the keyboard while they are playing a game. This picture pretty much describes where my gaming name came from,
    Imfaceroll (Im-Face-Roll).
    I picked up this name a few years back from playing World of Warcraft with a mate. Back when paladins could stomp all over anything just by using their wings.
    It was an on going joke between us that if they key bind their entire keyboard to paladin wings then rolled their face over it, they would still win a fight.
    So what did i do? I had to give it ago... I made a Paladin and called it Imfaceroll and that name has stuck ever since =).

Please stay tuned for more updates on the desk mod, hopefully i will have my parcel by next week so i can get it finished and show some photos of the finished product.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  11. OP
    OP
    Imfaceroll

Imfaceroll Member

YouTube Video Introductions

I have posted 6 YouTube video introductions on my Facebook page for when i start to make videos on my desk mod or gaming footage, please check them out and let me know which is your favorite, Cheers.

https://www.facebook.com/Imfacerollgaming

12. OP
    OP
    Imfaceroll

Imfaceroll Member

Progress shots from start till current.

Hey guys, i have been hard at work trying to put together some videos of my build for anyone who doesn't want to read the build log. I have just uploaded two videos, one showing a video of the build up to about
    a week ago and one showing progress images from start till now. Here's my YouTube channel for anyone interested: https://www.youtube.com/user/ImfacerollPCGaming

Another update with the desk, i received 1 of 2 parcels i have been waiting on in the mail so now i am able to put the PC in the desk and get some more progress shots out to you guys.
    I have just installed the GPU water blocks today so lets hope i can get some more updates to you guys within the next few days. Thank you for all of the support, Cheers.

13. crocodaVe

crocodaVe Member

Magic work man !

14. OP
    OP
    Imfaceroll

Imfaceroll Member

Cheers mate, appreciate the kind words

15. OP
    OP
    Imfaceroll

Imfaceroll Member

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated.

So, i have received my last parcel in the mail and i have put the PC inside the desk and wired everything up. I am so happy with how it looks. I still have to wait till tomorrow for the glass top of the desk and i will also be putting the UV green Mayhem's dye in, so hopefully i can post some more progress shots within the next few days. After all of that is done i can get the monitors going and turn the computer on after 24 hours of leak testing. Once 100% complete i will post a load of images on here for all to see, cheers

Progress shots:

These two shots are of how messy the cables were before i put the elevated platform in the desk.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

These pictures are of the desk as it stands today. Iv also taken some pictures under the different lighting options and i am very happy with the look of the desk. Dont mind the mess under the desk, that will be cleaned tomorrow before the glass guys get here.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

More updates coming within the next few days..

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2014
  16. OP
    OP
    Imfaceroll

Imfaceroll Member

Filling the Loop Leak test.

So.. I managed to fill the loop yesterday and ran into some problems. I filled the loop and had it running for around 2 hours when i noticed liquid all over the motherboard.
    Straight away i turned the pumps off and had to take everything apart to clean the motherboard and dry it off. I drained the loop to do just that.

When everything was taken out of the desk i took apart the Asus maximus VI formula motherboard to dry it out and observe where the source of the leak had occurred. This is what i found..

Click to view full size!

As you can see in the image above, the motherboard water block looks as if the coolant has leaked through the seal,
    so i decided instead of returning the product for a new one, i might try tighten the seal and dry out the motherboard.

Click to view full size!

The picture above is of the motherboard with the back plate and thermal armor removed as well as all of the thermal blocks and the CPU.
    It was essential that all of the liquid was dried and removed so it was necessary to remove all of these components to prevent a short circuit when i powered the PC on.
    I wired up a fan to a small 12v power adapter and placed it over the CPU and RAM slots to dry out any liquid that found its way into the gaps. I also borrowed my sisters hair drier to speed up the drying process.

Click to view full size!

Above is testing the components to see if they all still work after letting everything dry for 8 hours or so. I had removed the CPU water block to let the CPU slot dry so when it came to testing whether the components worked or not i had to reinstall some thermal grease on my delidded CPU and on the thermal copper plate and use the stock air cooler.

The PC powered up fine and everything worked. While i had the computer on i decided to check the CPU temperatures because i had delidded the CPU and put my own thermal grease on.
    Previous core temperatures ranged from 34-37 degrees Celsius, the new temperatures ranged from 18-21 degrees Celsius with the stock cooler, so i was very happy with them results.

Click to view full size!

The picture above is of the refill and previous leak area, so far so good. Another possible cause of the leakage around that area is where the fittings screw into the motherboard water block.
    I have since installed some extender fittings into the motherboard and then screwed the compression fittings into those.
    The reason for this is the compression fittings are a lot wider and i believe that the design of the motherboard water block was preventing them from screwing down all the way, therefore creating a leakage area.
    I have highlighted the problem areas below. These areas are sticking up preventing the compression fitting from screwing in all the way.

Click to view full size!

As of this moment i have put everything back into the desk and i am leak testing overnight, so far the problem areas have been fixed. I will be uploading more progress maybe tomorrow or Monday. Thanks.

17. BigDave

BigDave Member

Oh Sh*t, Your not the first to be caught out by the fittings not screwing down properly.

I'm not a fan of overnight leak testing, Leaving the test unattended is my biggest concern. I only leak test for a couple of hours the fire it up and stress test the hell out of it :lol:

18. OP
    OP
    Imfaceroll

Imfaceroll Member

Leak test

Haha yea i was very worried with leaving the pc unattended, however i was up till 2am so constantly checking on it. I also did not want to stop the test and restart it again in the morning.
    That would defeat the purpose of the leak test. So far it is doing well, its being going for around 21 hours and nothing has leaked.

Yea the fittings were stopped by the design of the motherboard armor, so the new fittings are doing the job well. Cheers.

19. OP
    OP
    Imfaceroll

Imfaceroll Member

YouTube update

A few new videos up on my YouTube of the PC desk Mod and its progress, please visit it, check them out and show your support by sharing a like and subscribe,
    it would really help me out as i am only new to the YouTube community. Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/user/ImfacerollPCGaming

20. OP
    OP
    Imfaceroll

Imfaceroll Member

Monitor setup help!!

So, I have my PC desk mod running, im trying to have the option of running a game such as battlefield 4 across all 3 of my 27 inch monitors (the monitors are the same). I have two evga superclocked gtx 780ti in SLI. Each monitor is connected to the first GPU by DVI cables. One monitor has its DVI cable attached to an active display adapter and goes into the display port. All 3 monitors are working but when I go into nvidia control panel, configure surround under 3d settings and tick span displays with surround, I get this happen (see attached photo) does anyone know how I can fix this? I think its saying use the second GPU as well?

Click to view full size!

Once this problem is fixed i will be uploading the final pictures of the desk and sharing the last process of the build, Cheers.