Watercooling Collective Sticky

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by zeropluszero, Aug 14, 2010.

1. VYAcclaim

VYAcclaim Member

Where does everyone buy their petg fittings from. I'm currently looking at PLE or Aliexpress. I'm looking for 13mm fittings which seem to be more expensive.

Would i be better off just going 12mm petg and using ek fittings?

2. leighzor

leighzor Member

Hi guys,

building my new loop soon and was just wondering, is coloured coolant still a big no no? I really like some of that pastel stuff but not if it's going to destroy my block etc. previously just ran demineralized water with silver additive and had no problems but want this one to look that little bit better!

3. shadow85

shadow85 Member

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  4. havabeer

havabeer Member

that is for soft tube, its a compression fitting

5. shadow85

shadow85 Member

Ok, Im new to wcooling. I thought there also compression fittings for hard tubes.

Another question is, say I want quality, is bay res/pump combo a No no?

Been reading alot of info on this, and many sources say it does not matter if you use a bay res/pump combo or not. Another source says they are harder to bleed out and less performing that having a res and pump on their own.

What about these:

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/29627/ek-dbay-d5-pwm-pump-reservoir-combo

Or

http://www.xs-pc.com/water-pumps/twin-d5-dual-bay-reservoirpump-combo

6. AntikytheraBB

AntikytheraBB Member

just bought alphacool kit at great price from PLE

it has a dual bay res and d5 pump. pump intake requires min of 50% of res level.
    res fill port allows max 75% of res level unless you tip the case.

terrible design IMHO. I have it 95% full but only by tipping the case drastically while filling it. makes running the pump during the early stages of filling it likely to run the pump dry.

other wise the kit is great. first thing i'll upgrade is a Pump top res combo for the D5.

D5, 360MM rad 3x fans, Res, CPU block, tubing and coolant for $249.

7. AntikytheraBB

AntikytheraBB Member

first ever loop.
    alphacool kit.
    no obvious leaks for 2 hours so far.

how much longer do i need to keep testing?
    will it be well tested without heat anyhow?

8. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Many will tell you to run it overnight. Personally, I'd be overclocking it by now :lol:

juzz86 likes this.
  9. Toliandar

Toliandar Member

The opening post could use some updating hehe.

I notice that PCCG doesn't list liquid utopia anymore, what's the go to water treatment these days?

10. milkguru

milkguru Member

Mayhems biocide or silver coil

11. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Always loved WC and wanted to try it for a few years. Just priced it up on EKWB website using their custom loop creator. It's expensive but I wanna try it, i'm just still not sure.

If i'm honest I HATE cables, think all the cables in my case look like shit, so moved over to m.2 drives exclusively to cut down on the power/sata cables.

Want it to look a bit nicer, so i think i need to more than just go WC though. But WC looks so good and would cool the 6700K nicely.

I need to sit down and spend some time culling out what I can cable wise and routing it better. Any recommendations on where to get ATX power cable extenders, if there is such a thing?

https://www.ekwb.com/custom-loop-configurator/shared/oW58cf4c192f774

12. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Scroll down this page, and you'll find a few varieties. You are looking for a 24 pin extension cable if you want the main mobo cable, or an EPS 8pin extension cable if its the PSU cable you want.. you'll find similar listings at any major supplier.

PCCG CABLES

I don't know what CPU you are running, but I'd recommend a 280 (2x140 rad), a 360 (3x120 rad) or at the very least a THICK 240 rad (45, 60 or 80mm thick) if you are going the 240 route. Or two slim 240s... the slim 240 rad may not quite be enough for both GPU and CPU.

13. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Running a 6700K - I must admit i'm ignorant on all of it so appreciate that info. The Rads were all I had to choose from using their custom too (which i'm guessing is due to my case (fractal design r4)).

I'll check out those rads too and see what room i've got in my case :thumbup:

14. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Looking up your R4, if you are ok with drilling a couple of hidden holes in the front to suit different fan spacings, you should be able to fit a 280 in the front. Another option is a 240 in the roof, or even both.

Check out the video below..

15. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Cheers mate. I'd like to avoid drilling so maybe i'll see what i can fit without it and use thicker than ek recommended.

Out of curiosity, say i set it all up, how long will it last for generally? As in maintenance wise. Will i need to drain and refill every x months etc

16. Gamelife

Gamelife Member

not sure if this is the right place to post or in the newbie thread although looking to build first water cooled setup and thinking to go the "Thermaltake Pacific RL240 Water Cooling Kit".

wondering if anyone has had any experiences with it as i was unable to find threads on it.

been reading the C1000 isn't any good so was thinking to get the kit + different coolant as well but still gathering info before taking the dive in the deep end.
    opinions or advice welcome.

cheers.

17. radeon_freak

radeon_freak Member

I think the best place to start is by telling us a bit about ur setup and what you want to cool. As in what CPU, will you be adding a GPU into the loop, what case do you have and what budget are you looking at.

It's much easier to recommend something if we have some details on your system, case and budget :thumbup:

18. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

Isnt the RL240 kit a mix of copper and aluminium components?

19. AntikytheraBB

AntikytheraBB Member

Gamelife : The D5 pump is great, the tube Res seems adequate, I personally prefer 13/19mm tubing and fittings which this kit includes. My kit came with 10/16mm fittings. There isnt much difference between the best and worse CPU blocks, a youtuber compared an expensive EK block vs a $19 one and there was 2-3C difference. As long as it has mounting support for the CPU/MB you are golden.

this is the biggest concern. you would have to always use coolant with anti corrosive properties because the aluminium Rad would otherwise corrode in a loop with copper parts.

20. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Yep, radiator is zinc-infused Aluminium.

As above, only concern really is the mixed metals mate.

There's nothing wrong with Aluminium by itself, but having a few non-similar metals in a loop will speed up the natural corrosion all loops exhibit. If you can, stick to similar metals (Copper, Brass, Nickel) or keep it all the same (Aluminium).

EK's FluidGaming kits seem to make a decent entry point for custom loops - they're Aluminium so they're cheaper, and they have come to the party and made a range of blocks, radiators and stuff to expand them over time.

If I was on a tight budget and couldn't wait to see what popped up on sale (or on here) Copper-wise, I'd go that route. I still recommend Copper gear over it, but once you scratch the itch you'll be dicking around with it in a month or two anyway :thumbup: