1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Watercooling support in Australia "Drying up"

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Kommandant33, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

I am finding it more and MOAR frustrating to try and source watercooling gear locally.

First Gammods announced he was closing down

And more recently TheKoolRoom has been selling out the watercooling gear...

But today I sent an email to PCCG asking whether they would be getting in more Alphacool radiators, and I recieved this email back;

I guess this comes as no surprise, as XSPC make quite a few value kits, and EK are the most popular waterblock manufacturer on the market, but with the lack of competition, it means we have ended up with a lack of choice.

It looks like if we want a Monsta rad, or a full copper, we are going to have to order from overseas.

Feel free to rant away.

2. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

Yeah I have noticed that parts I would like are not available in Australia or cost like twice as much as other brands which we can get here.
    Most places which use to stock heaps do not have single items now and stock the all in one systems like the Corsair Hydro system.

3. ginger_nuts

ginger_nuts Member

This is just a sign that here in Oz we are to small of a minority.

Just like your local computer store, they are going the way of the dodo.

Nearly everyone I know in real life think I am crazy for spending many hundreds of dollars just to cool my PC's.

How about you ?

Maybe we will benefit from organizing group buys from overseas retailers, then postage could be split by everyone to one location (who ever organizes it), then the individual pays postage to them.

4. Bullus

Bullus Member

problem largely is that there is just too much choice nowdays and we have too small a population, was thinking of starting my own WC supply company with my inheritance but looking at the massive range of products available it is not feasible to try and stock everything, or even a decent range of the most reputable brands, add that to the constant flow of waterblocks matching the constant flow of motherboards and reference design and custom pcb graphic cards and it is very easy to see the massive difficulties facing a WC supplier in Australia. i could try and list all the different brands for all the different component, but if you have researched WC setups recently you already know how extensive that list is for each component, before ya even start taking into account the massive range of products and sizes offered by each brand.

edit: also guess i should be even more glad i grabbed my 2 monsta rads when they where on clearance at PCCG a few months ago

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  5. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

what I'd like to see a store do is stock a range of computer hardware and watercooling gear that is compatible with everything they sell

ie, motherboards and waterblocks to suit. CPU's compatible with said boards. Graphics cards and blocks to suit. air coolers to suit the above. Sought-after cases and suitable rads and res's to suit common configurations. Pumps, compatible tops and direct fit rads. A range of compatible fittings.

Once a motherboard is fazed out, they drop the blocks. Vice versa if a block is no longer available, neither will the board. That way you know it's always a one stop shop and you'll never be left searching. Considering the variety of parts available it might not always be the cheapest place to shop but I think it could definitely be done

6. Brett

Brett Member

Drop them to where?
    They've bought the stock to make money on, not to throw out when it goes out of fashion.

It's a niche market in one of the smallest sectors of the industry.

Could always go how we used to do it ~15 years ago and go see your local radiator builder with a outline of what you need, though that was only after heat loads got too big for car heater cores to keep up.

7. trevor68

trevor68 Member

Yup had wondered why everything I have purchased recently from PCCG is no longer stocked.

8. |jay|

|jay| Member

Pccg doesn't gave many fittings anymore, looks like I'll have to order from frozencpu or something.

9. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Yeah, don't tell me they are running out the BP range in favour of EK fittings...

10. Saate

Saate Member

Guess I'll have to expand my range eh? :) Just finished latest boxing 620 silver fittings from latest manufacturing run and I've got 500 black fittings due in shortly

11. OzTurkish

OzTurkish Member

I ordered half my gear last night and today its all NO ETA i know its EOFY hopefully theyll restock because i still have a heap of crap to get

12. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

This is more a general question, but what is the extreme cooling market doing in general?

People used to push their machines for extra power, these days CPUs are far more powerful with pretty quiet cooling. Is that extreme cooling market shrinking because less people feel the need to push so far and hard anymore?

13. hairy

hairy Member

I am looking at purchasing a 1080 or larger rad in a few weeks and pccg don't stock them anymore, I hate waiting for stuff from overseas.
    anyone wanna open a dedicated w/c store here in aus ?

14. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

FTFY :thumbup:

The problem is that the market is too small in Aus. The reason PCCG has become the go-to for watercooling gear is because they sell everything else you need.

By the by, I am selling a 4x140mm RAD over here

15. hairy

hairy Member

if someone was to setup an online store from home I think it could work having no expenses to pay.
    I am moving house on the 11th of next month if your rad hasn't sold by them im keen as mustard ! just don't wanna move more shit than I already have too.

16. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

TheKoolRoom I think runs from his house... I could be wrong, though

17. ginger_nuts

ginger_nuts Member

I think if MSY was to become a competitor to PCCG for some extreme cooling parts we might be on to something.

Especially if they stocked parts on a national level not a state by state.

Then we might be getting close to a stop shop for it all.

18. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

They wouldn't, though. They don't sit on stock, they are all about fast moving items.

19. Jakusonfire

Jakusonfire Member

Thank god I say ... The Alphacool junk they have been stocking is depressing to look at all the time. Along with the Aquatuning style, lets sell the same thing under two or three brands Alphacool / Phobya cheap and nasty end of the market.

Hopefully EK will expand their fitting range to include some of the things that BP only seems to do right like dual and tripple rotarys. BP has been gouging the market for long enough.

Really though, its not all that bad. For small items its cheaper for me to order from the US than from pccasegear and for larger things you just have to buy a few things at once to make the shipping difference not so bad.

20. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Have you ever had an Alphacool radiator? They have the best quality/selection on the market, IMO..

BP have been gouging the market because they are providing the market what they need.. Even if EK was half the price, I would still buy BP..

Yet another inflammatory troll post from Jakus...