1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

WC for itx build

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by aussie-revhead, Nov 4, 2017.

1. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Guys, I'm looking to fit a large rad (with surgery) into my SG13, it's not a high powered outfit, I just want quiet and reliable. CPU is i5 8400 and gpu is a Gigabyte GTX1070 mini. So what rad do you guys reckon I should aim for?

A 280 has good width but it a little longer than my whole case, I guess I could overhang it to the back if needed
    A 240 is a good length to fit in
    A 180 has more surface area that a 240

Has anyone tried any of the Eisbaer range? Im looking at using the pump/block unit to power my loop (DC-LT pump). Alphacool also make a hybrid block for my 1070 that has its own pump, so thats a great option too. Then again, with the external psu I will have room in the front for a D5 and res.

So if I remove the psu (G-Unique external) then do I:

dual AIO it (120 AIO for gpu and a 240 for the cpu)? (Or 120 in the front for gpu and 140 in the roof for cpu)
    240 in side and gpu in roof (riser cable)
    240 in roof and gpu in std location
    180 in roof

So far, I think the best and most radical option is 240 or 280 in the side (rad inside and fans outside, drawing air out of case), D5 in the front, full block on gpu, EK block on cpu, gpu mounted above mobo where psu would have been.

What do you guys reckon?

:)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  2. Winterheart

Winterheart Member

I'd personally be inclined to go the 240 or the 180, depending on space and all the rest. The 180 "may" be the easiest option in terms of space, loop, config. and fan, though I have no experience with your case :(
    I'm currently waiting on my Alphacool block for my 1070, and also an Eisstation, and Auspost to deliver my 8600K before I start my new system and loop up. I'm hoping the Eisstation with DC-LT2600 will be sufficient for the loop, but if not, I've still got an EK-SPC60 here as well. I wanted the Eisstation with DDC but they had none in stock when I ordered :(

3. ElowynOceania

ElowynOceania Member

I've used a alphacool eisbaer, but the current pump isn't that powerful. They're great though to work with.

4. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Yeah I might ditch the Eisbaer ..... I was just reading about the CM Eisberg and comments on that were pretty poor including "CM regretted the day they signed that contract". .....

Not promising at all.

:(

Have you tested the SPC60? Is it quiet?

5. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Should be right on a 180 mate, not an awful lot of heat to evacuate.

The DC-LT is great for what it is - a tiny, quiet pump. There were some reliability issues with them when they first hit the market, but it was fixed quickly and, anecdotally, I've installed five of them for myself and others and had no returns in over two years. I think BigDave has one in his little SilverStone rig too, if you're after real-world usage. They're not powerful, you don't see the vortex in the reservoir or the bubbling top you get with a D5 or DDC, but I've had them on a one-rad, two-block loop with no temp issues.

The Eisbaer's are a tempting option on clearance at PLE for the price, considering they'll take a GPU block with little effort.

Interesting that you read that about CoolerMaster's units - I'm sure among previous-gen reviews the Eisberg 240 was consistently CMs most effective unit at high loads?

6. BigDave

BigDave Member

7. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Thanks boys, I had a DC-LT in one of my son's rigs (sorry if this is a repeat, I have told the story before) and I found it noisey at full speed, I 7 volted it and it was quiet. I'm sure the flow wasn't very strong but I think alot of AIOs would be pretty gentle too, just having water flow is enough for alot of rigs I think. I
    My son's DC-LT died 3 times, luckily I bought spares as they were so cheap, his temps were fine (4790k, 980Ti, 240 rad) but I replaced it due to reliability issues.

Dave - yes I'm looking at a half in half out type of mount if I go 240 or 280, but the frontal area won't hide a rad of this size so it can't go on the back. I was thinking at the side where the GPU is (with GPU relocated via riser cable. I found a full block for my 1070 mini so that will streamline that side of the loop.

Another option is a 120-140 in the front and another out the back on fabricated mounts, or the 180 in the roof.

Assuming I use a thinner rad to make it fit then who makes the best 30mm thick radiators? Or stuff all difference anyway and just buy what fits?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    juzz86 likes this.
  8. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Pretty much, only difference will be FPI ;)

9. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

ok, so if I had the choice would you fit fans on cold side or hot side of a rad (are fans more efficient with inlet side unrestricted?)

Would you draw cool air through the case (with a front intake fan to help) and into the rad, exhausting out of the case? Or cool air into the rad and exhausting through the case (with opposite side exhaust fan to help)?

10. juzz86

juzz86 Member

I just fit fans where I can fit them, to bo honest mate. If the radiator's going in the front then I usually push, if it's in the roof, back or floor I usually pull. That's also for aesthetics though - I like to see my lights.

You see a lot of rigs sporting 'unorthodox' airflow setups, with fine results. I don't think there's a right and a wrong way, just do what you can fit and what you think looks good. Obviously if the exhaust air from your radiator is 30 or 40 Degrees you'll have some extra heat around, but if you're exhausting the air quickly enough, or the case is built to aid convection, then it's a non-issue.

Paulie has a great thread over here that does something similar on a lone 120, with roughly the same wattage to dissipate. He even managed to keep the PSU internal, which I'd think is a great idea if you can wrangle it - the whole idea of ITX builds is that they're pocket rockets.

11. Winterheart

Winterheart Member

Just testing the SPC now, and it is very very quiet, nearly inaudible to me sitting next to it while I leak test and bleed the air, though it does have a very faint hum to it. Once the rest of the system is powered, it will be truly unheard. From initial impressions, it seems like a sidegrade to a DDC, with a fair chunk of pumping power and no need for a heatsink on the pump. The PWM cable only for power/control is nice too.