1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

WD TV Live

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by ben_qld, Feb 9, 2011.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I've sort of wondered about this myself.....I had thought that if you select the highest mode in your settings it auto selects that definition upon playback of a video file regardless of what the units home screen reboots as.

2. Omnomnom

Omnomnom Member

I have 2 of these and both set to 1080p. Sometimes when booting up they will output in 720p but before loading the home screen they reboot and then correctly output in 1080p.

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I think it's just 720p for the home screen right?

4. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

I don't think so.. my TV states its in 1080p and never drops :Paranoid:

5. DeejW

DeejW Member

yeah the confusing part is when I set the it to 1080p the tv does say 1080p but the next time I power it on it says 720p. Although when I play the videos I dont really notice the difference if its 720 or 1080p but it might be just that my TV is a baby 32". Seems like a definite bug

6. Dogo

Dogo Member

mine says 720p during bootup and 1080p once it reaches the menu.

I use mine heaps playing movies/tv via samba shares and music via DLNA
    Works great !!

7. QuakeDude

Thats the one thing I've noticed about these boxes - the wide variety of problems they have. They're not big ones - just annoyances.

Mine - for example - works perfectly fine, but when I plug in my hard drive and browse through the movie list, if I leave one movie selected (without playing) for too long, when I DO play it, the audio is tinny and I have to turn the unit off and back on again to restore normal audio quality.

Go figure :confused:

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I got character pixelation today......reboot fixed it. Going to need updates to fix this or I will be changing soon.

9. Omnomnom

Omnomnom Member

As much as the annoyances make me want to change, I have yet to find something that I feel is going to be as straightforward to use with the features I need. Which alternatives would you consider?

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Very good question mate! And you know what? I'd actually have no idea of the alternatives out there....just haven't got around to looking at what is out there these days. The only one I know that I would absolutely consider, and probably purchase....is appleTV....only problem is I'm concerned about having to convert mkv's to get them to play on the appleTV?

11. scrantic

scrantic Member

When mine gives up the ghost/finally gives me the shits enough I'm going to just build a HTPC based on an Intel NUC with XBMC or similar. I find most of these STB units to be a bit underpowered.

Another option might be a Roku or rolling your own Raspberry Pi. I had a Dvico prior to my WDTV till it fried itself not sure what their deal is these days.

12. QuakeDude

I was thinking the same, but running XBMC on a PC based device was painful (kept bitching about not ejecting the drive properly every time I unplugged my portable HDD), which is why I love the WDTV.

They desperately need an updated version I think :(

13. g12345567

g12345567 Member

XBMC/openelec does have an eject option to safely remove usb storage devices. It can be found by highlighting the device you want to remove and then bringing up the options menu (right mouse click) and selecting safely remove. Instead of just pulling the device out.

14. QuakeDude

Sounds too hard :lol:

I use a portable HDD for all my content (don't have a network server) so I tend to plug in and remove the hard drive alot, depending on where i'm watching it too. I don't want to have to have a keyboard and a mouse sitting there, it kind of defeats the purpose of having a convenient quick use device :p

15. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Hey,

Does anyone know if you can remove the hard drive in these, and use Shadowprotect to "Image the OS", or is the OS on chip on these?

Main reason for question, is what happens when my hard drive in this dies in the future? I'd like to be able to replace it and continue using it..

16. QuakeDude

They have hard drives? :confused:

17. g12345567

g12345567 Member

You don't need a keyboard and mouse. Use an MCE remote and usb receiver. Its dead easy to setup. Or a universal remote programmed with with MCE codes and USB MCE receiver.

18. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

I use a Pi with XBMC, highly recommend it. I stream all my content from my NAS and can also just plug a drive into the Pi.

Only downside is having keyboard laying around, but you can use the Driod app.

19. nico6

nico6 Member

Sounds like you are using the WD Live Hub?

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I like to keep it simple really. There's plenty of devices out there, I know that much, just about crawling through a few forums here and there and you can quickly work out what is good these days.