WDS renaming PC after domain join

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by randomman, Mar 24, 2016.

1. randomman

randomman Member

So we're setting up a new WDS only server for a Windows 10 deployment. The WDS side of things is super basic. Server 2012 R2. Win10 1511 x64. Boot answer file and image answer file. It appears the PC is getting renamed while offline after joining the domain, thus breaking the trust relationship. I cannot find the cause. The initial name is WIN-%SOMEVARIABLE%, the final name, which has a broken trust relationship is DESKTOP-%SOMEVARIABLE%. NOWHERE in the answer files have we specified a computer name. I've also changed the default WDS naming policy to something else to see if it changes either of these names and it doesn't. I'm completely stumped.

2. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

No domain group policy objects doing it ? , I say that because we have a GPO here that reads from the system environment and appends either DT or LT to the computer acccount name depending on if its a desktop or a laptop

3. glimmerman

glimmerman Member

having just implemented a WDS + MDT deployment, all I can say is check the logs... wealth of information in there.

Also, use MDT instead of WDS for imaging unless there is a specific reason otherwise.

4. OP
    OP
    randomman

randomman Member

No GPO doing it. It's in a special new post deployment OU.

No logs. The rename literally occurs in between logs. I managed to find some which specified the name prior and the name after and there's no logs for a rename at that time. We want a plain WDS deployment server to push a very, very basic image and have all customization occur post deployment using GPOs and software package managers. Saves us having to continually maintain a custom image, with the exception of monthly injection of updates into the install.wim.

It looks like specifying the name in the answer file has stopped the rename post deployment - weird. We're going to inject VBscript at the start of the install to edit the local unattend file to inject the PC's serial number in as the computer name anyway so looks like we don't need an answer as to why this is happening anymore... EDIT: NOPE. The x:\sources\wdsunattend\unattend.xml file doesn't seem to affect the computer name so script doesn't work. Ughhh....

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  5. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

It has to be a GPO doing this.......does your deployment OU have inheritance blocked ?
    Unless the name change is in your image, maybe a script called upon startup, by the run once reg key or the like, ive seen this before when using a generic image which upon reboot does the same as I mentioned earlier depending on it being a desktop or a laptop

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  6. OP
    OP
    randomman

randomman Member

If it was a GPO or runOnce doing the rename though, why would setting the computer name in the answer file stop it?

7. freaky_beeky

freaky_beeky Member

Where did you get your source media from? I've seen crazy weird issues with people who used the ISO from the Media Creation Toolkit.

If you're just deploying the Home/Pro version you can download a proper deployment ISO from here

8. Munity

Munity Member

Are you doing this as a task? or is this implemented in the customsettings.ini ?

Here is my customsettings.ini file

[Settings]
    Priority= Manu, Default
    Properties=ComputerTypeName, ComputerSerialNumber, MyCustomProperty

[Manu]
    SubSection=Desktop-%IsDesktop%

[Desktop-True]
    ComputerTypeName=WS
    ComputerSerialNumber=%SerialNumber%
    MachineObjectOU=OU=Desktops,OU=Computers,DC=*domaindetails*

[Desktop-False]
    SubSection=%Make%

[Microsoft Corporation]
    JoinDomain=*enterdomain*
    DomainAdmin=Administrator
    DomainAdminDomain=*domain*
    DomainAdminPassword=*password*
    ComputerSerialNumber=#Right("%SerialNumber%",7)#
    ComputerTypeName=SP
    MachineObjectOU=OU=SurfacePros,OU=Computers,*domaindetails*
    [Dell Inc.]
    ComputerSerialNumber=%SerialNumber%
    ComputerTypeName=NB
    MachineObjectOU=OU=Laptops,OU=Computers,*domaindetails*

9. OP
    OP
    randomman

randomman Member

Volume Licensing website, downloaded a pure ISO.

No task. No SCCM or MDT. Just vanilla WDS with an answer/unattend file.

10. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

i strongly suggest using MDT for building up your images.
    it makes things a lot easier to manage.

use MDT for building the image, driver injection, application installation, image capture etc.

use WDS to handle the pxe boot.