Web access to my server

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Anakist, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Anakist

Anakist Member

I am going on holiday for a month and I would like a way of monitoring my server and interacting with it.

I currently use SABnzbd, Sick Beard and Couch Potato with web interfaces over the LAN for my media needs. I am with TPG and have a static IP address. What do I put on my webpage to link to these programs? Do I just need to forward the ports through my router?

I would also like a program that logs temperatures, hard drive free space and the like that I can monitor as well.

Thanks.

James

2. digamma

digamma Member

I've always wondered this too. I'm interested.

3. Pugs

Pugs Member

like wise.. (gets ready to take notes)

4. Shortass_Jr

Shortass_Jr Member

if only you had osx :p hahaha iv got an iphone app :)

5. zach

zach (Banned or Deleted)

Hamachi VPN? Would be simple enough, maybe a bit more bandwith hungry then other options, ssh etc.

EDIT: LogMeIn does disk space et all monitoring, have to sign up for it though - free for non-commercial.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Logmein is what I use and as suggested above, has all your monitoring tools....at a fee of course. I'm just using the trial at the moment.

7. ranova

ranova Member

As they're all web pages you could use SSH with a Dynamic tunnel

One the connection is up and running, add 127.0.0.1:<PORT> in the SOCKS proxy field

Works almost flawlessly, for me anyway

8. OP
    OP
    Anakist

Anakist Member

Logmein has diagnostics on it. and I can RDP in to play with it so that will work for me.

Thanks.

James

9. Hive

Hive Member

You've got to be kidding me :rolleyes:

10. infiltraitor

infiltraitor Member

I've got an iPhone app that doesn't need you to have a (cr)apple computer.
    checks uptime, cpu/ram usage and a few other things.
    I've also got an RDP app if i need to do anything to the poota.

11. bcann

bcann Member

why not just rdp or vnc with a properly configured password that is complex? both options are free and relatively pain free.

EDIT:

also remember to turn off the port forward and remote software after arriving home :)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  12. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Wow, you have a degree in IT security hey?

VNC = key + password are sniffable. A lot of versions have only an 8-character password limitation. Oh and the session itself is unencrypted. So they can sniff all your traffic. Nice :thumbdn:
    RDP = on XP/Server 2003 you are vulnerable to a MITM attack. http://www.securiteam.com/windowsntfocus/5EP010KG0G.html . Also Nice :thumbdn:

ranova had it right. SSH with -D <port>. Set it up with RSA keys and you are laughing. :thumbup:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  13. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

I was in the same situation, wanting to check up on the same 3 programs. I opted for using OpenVPN in my router (gogo WRT54GL w/ TomatoVPN firmware) and then connecting into that from the remote computer, or with my phone. :)

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Logmein also also has an app....I'm using it on the android and works very well.

15. BioHazard

BioHazard Member

Couldn't you use Teamviewer? Free version lets me connect into the desktop of my machines at home, as well as the in-laws shop computers, plus a few relations without the need of port forwarding etc.

16. cvidler

cvidler Member

SSL VPN + RDP.

SSL VPN ftw as you can get through most firewall/proxies (unlike PPTP/L2TP/IPSec VPNs)

You can do it with freebie software, or anything more complex/expensive.

I run a Cisco ASA as my firewall and SSL VPN access. (which can be configured to use regular user name/password or certificates, or almost any other kind of authentication system you want).

17. miicah

miicah Member

Yeah from what I gathered from OP, it's some random home server. I wouldn't be that worried about someone sniffing or doing MITMs...

18. OP
    OP
    Anakist

Anakist Member

Yep just my, *ahem*, linux iso downloading server. Yeah, thats it! :Paranoid: Just so I can keep an eye on what my Wifes 20yo is queueing and how much of my space he is using.

Signed up for the logmein trial. Should do all I need, an android app is a pretty big bonus!

Will look at doing something better once I have a proper low power usage server running some flavour of *nix and I can research a bit better. It will become a semi regular thing.

Until then 30 days of logmein will be fine.

Thanks.

James

19. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

I started to look back into this last night, but I couldn't get OpenVPN working well on my router.

Would finding the ports needed for RDP and forwarding them to my server, then using RDP to it be my next best solution? How do I ensure it has SSL/TLS/certs for encrpytion?

Realistically, only my phone would be logging in remotely, but there would be times when I'd be using a friends pc.

20. cvidler

cvidler Member

RDP is port TCP/3389

If you've got Vista/7 or Server2008 or newer it'll have the stronger encryption. You may need to update the RDP client on the phone/friends PC to support it however (e.g. a 2000/XP machine will need the update).