1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Web based email

Discussion in 'General Software' started by skymist, Jul 6, 2017.

1. skymist

skymist Member

Hi all,

Wasn't sure where to post this however thought this would be best.

Currently using outlook 2016 setup in a pop3 configuration on my laptop and my phone. So the emails get downloaded to my computer off the server.

This is through my work account/hosting provider.

Is there a way to use just a web browser to handle this? Sort of like gmail but more business orientated accounts?

2. leck

leck Member

depends on what the server is but most/all of them have webmail functionality if its been configured. Ask the guys hosting it and they'll most likely give you the link. It's very common.

Also if you're using multiple devices to access it, you're better off using imap instead of pop.

If you changed things around you could use office 365 which is like the microsoft version of gmail and can (some plans allow it) give you office/outlook etc. Also - gmail is fine for business (I prefer it x100000 over o365). I'd say you could already be on o365 but its very unlikely you'd be using pop with outlook if you were.

3. OP
    OP
    skymist

skymist Member

Hey mate,

We have office365 subs and everything is done offline so to speak. So not online editing etc which we probably should be doing.

Email accounts are setup as POP... just because it always has been I suppose. Happy to listen to advice though.

My setup is:

Laptop - Outlook 2016 running pop
    iPhone - Outlook app

So the emails get pushed to my phone and then when I send/recieve in outlook they go into Outlook on my computer, thus deleting from the server.

My fear with IMAP is that we will run out of space on our server as we use a lot of data as send big files quite often through email (don't ask, can't change the bosses mind!)

4. leck

leck Member

if it is office 365 you should simply be able to log into it online using your credentials (email/password) for the webmail part of it (office365.com). The webmail is pretty decent and will let you do everything you need pretty much. That kinda answers the original question.

As far as the rest of it goes, "if you're using outlook and exchange/office 365", in most cases you should use activesync which is the default. It's easier to setup, synchronizes all outlook content (email/notes/contacts etc) so its uniform between devices, caches data so you can use it offline, is fairly efficient and works well for end users.

the outlook app will synchronize anything done in it back to office 365 anyway.

Storage limits are 50gb or so last time i checked 'per mailbox' and you can setup shared mailboxes and use archiving to manage space if/when you need to. You can also of course delete emails manually from sent/inbox if you wanted to and found it necessary, the same as you can with your local pop database..

The reason why systems like office 365 and gmail work really well is they give you a central database of all your email which you can access from multiple devices. If your computer dies, you just log in on a new one and you have all your info there. The argument for storing email locally in individual pst files on different computers is the stuff of nightmares for admins, is a LOT more work both upfront and ongoing, and doesn't really make sense anymore unless you have a very specific reason not to. Even having things like a central contact list shared to your devices is a huge time saver.

A couple of assumptions are that you're using the business version which if you are using your own domain, you will be and that you probably have a few email addresses setup.

Lastly, if it aint broke you don't have to fix it of course and if the systems working then sure... It's worth taking another look though as there's a lot of benefits through using synchronization as briefly outlined above.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017