Web hosting - good deals these days?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by antipody, Jul 30, 2014.

1. antipody

antipody Member

Is this the right place to ask about webhost products these days?

I'm looking to set up a new site and trying to find something cheap and good.

I can't believe anyone can compete with godaddy marketing me $1 hosting deals. Somehow they've got me paying $14/mo for a pretty well provisioned LAMP stack that rarely has downtime, has reasonable support, while rarely having to provide it.

I find them generally good quality from an uptime, functionality and security perspective.

Despite their many highly unethical practices as I'm still a customer, I like godaddy.

However, for my next site I think it would be good to try a new webhost. I haven't used cpanel in many years but would be open to going back to that, or any other alternative systems?

Can anyone recommend companies, both local and international? Currently consideirng Jumba VPS, but don't want to spend $40/mo if possible and don't think I need a VPS anyway, just want to set up a PHP website.

2. infiltraitor

infiltraitor Member

3. W0MB13

W0MB13 Member

If you aren't looking to spend much, I would recommend Dreamhost in the US. I have been hosting with them for over 8 years now!

4. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

I also currently have space hosted with them. Can't complain.

5. ipex

ipex Member

same having been hosting with them for years , have had no real complaints , they have been good by me

6. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

Who ever or whatever you choose, keep it in the country rather than OS. Hosting here is cheap and fast.

Just a note, under US law, any site hosted on their shores it their property, not yours....

7. OP
    OP
    antipody

antipody Member

*Bump*

One of my domains is set to expire so I'm looking at options to renew it and host at the same time...

I checked out Wix the other day and they seemed to have some interesting stuff. Godaddy has always been cheap and relatively well supported. Haven't got a clue beyond that.

I don't currently have a site on this domain - just use it for email - although I'm considering using it to play with TerriaJS, so something with NodeJS would be good to have.

Also considering running wordpress again...

8. trevor68

trevor68 Member

9. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

10. OP
    OP
    antipody

antipody Member

I started trying to deploy TerriaJS to a Heroku server today, which is free, so my hosting needs are currently met. I just need to reregister the domain.

Godaddy are charging $20/yr. Can it be done cheaper?